Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] F Austin Watson signs with the Red Wings (1 year, $775k, two-way) - placed on waivers

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
The Wings if you're from Michigan or played for Michigan.

giphy.webp

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008
Nah, I'll address below.

Evidently you aren't...

"According to the police report, an officer was flagged down after a witness reported seeing Watson "swat" his girlfriend, Jenn Guardino, and prevent her from leaving the couple's SUV at a gas station. According to the police report, when the officer arrived at the scene, he witnessed Guardino "trying to back away from being shoved, saying ‘stop’ and covering her face." At the time of the incident, Watson claimed he and Guardino were arguing about her drinking and not being able to attend a wedding. Watson admitted to pushing Guardino and the officer noted red marks on her chest. Guardino denied that Watson had touched her, but later changed her statement and told police that he was responsible for the marks on her chest. Guardino told police that Watson at times "gets handsy" and pleaded with officers not to press charges, fearing damage to his NHL career. Watson was subsequently charged with suspicion of domestic assault. The police report noted that Guardino became "extremely upset" when Watson was taken into custody."

You're right though, I just dunno anything about the situation. It obviously never happened, given that his girlfriend recanted her statement. The witness, police officer, red marks, and Watson himself all lied. After all, it's completely illogical that a domestic violence victim would protect their abuser, especially when he is the runaway breadwinner in the relationship. This NEVER happens.

Also, Slava Voynov's girlfriend just fell down a lot. :sarcasm:
Why not share the whole source.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Nah, I'll address below.

Evidently you aren't...

"According to the police report, an officer was flagged down after a witness reported seeing Watson "swat" his girlfriend, Jenn Guardino, and prevent her from leaving the couple's SUV at a gas station. According to the police report, when the officer arrived at the scene, he witnessed Guardino "trying to back away from being shoved, saying ‘stop’ and covering her face." At the time of the incident, Watson claimed he and Guardino were arguing about her drinking and not being able to attend a wedding. Watson admitted to pushing Guardino and the officer noted red marks on her chest. Guardino denied that Watson had touched her, but later changed her statement and told police that he was responsible for the marks on her chest. Guardino told police that Watson at times "gets handsy" and pleaded with officers not to press charges, fearing damage to his NHL career. Watson was subsequently charged with suspicion of domestic assault. The police report noted that Guardino became "extremely upset" when Watson was taken into custody."

You're right though, I just dunno anything about the situation. It obviously never happened, given that his girlfriend recanted her statement. The witness, police officer, red marks, and Watson himself all lied. After all, it's completely illogical that a domestic violence victim would protect their abuser, especially when he is the runaway breadwinner in the relationship. This NEVER happens.

Also, Slava Voynov's girlfriend just fell down a lot. :sarcasm:

Considering how fast he moved on from Vrana for personal issues and not even something related to the abuse of others.. I have a feeling we are not privy to the actual knowledge surrounding the situation. Also the fact he earned multiple contracts after that. Again, happy to admit to being wrong if I am.. as I don't condone any violence towards a spouse of any gender.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Those who play the wife-beater card… it gets old. Especially having no clue what you’re commenting on.

Austin Watson and his wife, have paid every debt they’ve ever owed to society, and then some. The overall good that’s come from their sobriety, helping others In Nashville, Ottawa, Tampa and they’ll do the same in Detroit, far outweighs a couple of addicts doing what addicts do one day. Of which, at the most he pushed a crazed drunk,, but that’s their story to tell.

Once again, the Watson’s are a great story of two people who’d hit their rock bottom in their addiction and have done some wonderful things for a lot of people, suffering from their own addiction.

Anyone damning Austin Watson doesn’t leave their glass house very often.

Nnowski

Jun 11, 2024
Those who play the wife-beater card… it gets old. Especially having no clue what you’re commenting on.

Austin Watson and his wife, have paid every debt they’ve ever owed to society, and then some. The overall good that’s come from their sobriety, helping others In Nashville, Ottawa, Tampa and they’ll do the same in Detroit, far outweighs a couple of addicts doing what addicts do one day. Of which, at the most he pushed a crazed drunk,, but that’s their story to tell.

Once again, the Watson’s are a great story of two people who’d hit their rock bottom in their addiction and have some wonderful things for a lot of people suffering from their own addiction.

Anyone damning Austin Watson doesn’t leave their glass house very often.
I just don't want him on the team because he sucks at hockey and loses every fight he has...

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Considering how fast he moved on from Vrana for personal issues and not even something related to the abuse of others.. I have a feeling we are not privy to the actual knowledge surrounding the situation. Also the fact he earned multiple contracts after that. Again, happy to admit to being wrong if I am.. as I don't condone any violence towards a spouse of any gender.

My guess would be he moved on from Vrana because he didn't want a guy with drug abuse issues around a bunch of influenceable kids. That's a bit more of a "Risk" for your young players than a guy with a prior DV.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I just don't want him on the team because he sucks at hockey and loses every fight he has...
And that’s a valid point to be discussed, rather than the ‘holier than thou’ crowd playing the wife beater card for the 100th time. Anyone who knows Austin’s wife, knows she was the furthest thing from a battered partner. It’s sad we live in a society where people ignore all the (years now) of good two people have done for other human beings, because they somehow want to feel morally superior in life. Get over yourselves.

Millions and millions of couples struggle with addiction. If even 5% ever ended up doing the good these two have since they’ve been sober, we’d be a much better society.

As for the player? With all the physical players added to the Atlantic this off-season, the Wings almost had to add a player like Watson.he’s familiar with the division and he’ll stand up fir his teammates as well as anyone.

Reactions: saska sault

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
My guess would be he moved on from Vrana because he didn't want a guy with drug abuse issues around a bunch of influenceable kids. That's a bit more of a "Risk" for your young players than a guy with a prior DV.

Not to argue, just in my opinion. Domestic violence is much worse than addiction which is a disease but I agree neither are something you want around impressionable kids.

As for Watson, happy to have anyone throwing and eating knuckles over our guys like Larkin and Seider.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Not to argue, just in my opinion. Domestic violence is much worse than addiction which is a disease but I agree neither are something you want around impressionable kids.

As for Watson, happy to have anyone throwing and eating knuckles over our guys like Larkin and Seider.

I don't disagree. My point is that there's obviously much more concern for Vrana's drug/party culture influencing a young, impressionable kid than Watson potentially beating on a girlfriend.

Like, I doubt somebody would see Watson do that and go "That looks fun, I'm gonna try it too." Much more concern of Vrana saying to a 20-23 year old kid, "Hey wanna party this weekend?"

I do agree on needing an enforcer, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad