Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] D Moritz Seider re-signs with the Red Wings (7 years, $8.55M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
These 8 year deals for around 8 can look real good in a couple years.

I saw maybe Friedman was saying cap can take a major jump after next year as it’s last year the 5% raise limit is in effect. And with expansion looming. If the cap jumps 10 million or more in 2 years these players will have a cap hit of 8 on a team budget that could be push 110 or more million for back half of deals.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Everyone but you knows this is Dahlin. One of those is a top 10 defenseman in the NHL. The other is maybe in your top 30 if you ignore all of his metrics and rank off vibes.
It's weird how Detroit even wins a single game considering none of their players are any good.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
Apparently Seider and his camp wanted above Larkin's 8.7m(Which seems to be the benchmark for Yzerman and Wings) to go 8 years.

If anything it's probably good to not having to deal with both Seider and Raymond the same summer again.

And Seider would get a contract before Raymond, and not be offered table scraps of what is left in cap space.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
It's weird how Detroit even wins a single game considering none of their players are any good.
These posts on the main board are really entertaining because apparently every one of these trash Atlantic division teams has top 10’players at every position but still can’t pass us in the standings

Reactions: FlyguyOX

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I get wanting to pump your guys tires, but there's nothing historic about his zone starts. Yes he had high defensive zone starts last season (about 20%) vs offensive zone starts (11%). Compare that to someone like Carlo on Boston who had 21% defensive zone starts vs 3% offensive zone and it doesn't look so skewed. Some of that can also be attributed to team play, as most of Detroits dmen had higher D-zone starts than O-zone last season if you compare those and remove neutral zone starts and on the fly changes.

All that said, this is a very nice contract and Mo should only get better as he hits his prime. I do think he's a great young player, so I'm not knocking him or trying to come off that way.

I know youre not really shitting on Seider so I'm not going to go in hard on you but I dont think you know what youre talking about on this. Maybe the zone starts arent crazy, but Seiders deployment difficulty is actually pretty historic, and a huge outlier statistically. The Athletic actually had articles about how a lot of the metrics cant quantify his on ice impact because his usage is so outrageous.

Dom Luschyzyn actually has said hes trying to develop a new stat thats basically if you leave the ice in a better position than you got on, because Seiders usage has kind of "broken" his model. He also did it with partners that most wouldnt consider up to the task.

If you watch him night in and night out you see it, but if you have to use advanced stats to form your opinion you wont think much of him

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I know youre not really shitting on Seider so I'm not going to go in hard on you but I dont think you know what youre talking about on this. Maybe the zone starts arent crazy, but Seiders deployment difficulty is actually pretty historic, and a huge outlier statistically. The Athletic actually had articles about how a lot of the metrics cant quantify his on ice impact because his usage is so outrageous.

Dom Luschyzyn actually has said hes trying to develop a new stat thats basically if you leave the ice in a better position than you got on, because Seiders usage has kind of "broken" his model. He also did it with partners that most wouldnt consider up to the task.

If you watch him night in and night out you see it, but if you have to use advanced stats to form your opinion you wont think much of him
I linked the Dom article for that poster, Mo was off the charts for the difficulty of his average shift compared to everyone except Walman.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I'll leave you with two articles:

You'll notice that the only company he has in the usage charts here is Walman, his most frequent partner this past season.

As this article shows, you look at guys playing big roles on their team, very few players ever received this type of defensive workload.

It's pretty gruesome. His "one extra shift" is against the other teams best players, paired with a lot of bad to worse LDs. I'd still agree that Mo has to improve on his game, he's still making more unforced errors than I like, but he's actually held up quite well and is going to be more than worth his deal by the end of it.

These charts have just reaffirmed my thought that Detroit needed to sign a RD this offseason instead of Kane/Tarasenko.

Mo needs help. Detroit probably has the worst 2nd and 3rd pair RD in the league.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I get wanting to pump your guys tires, but there's nothing historic about his zone starts. Yes he had high defensive zone starts last season (about 20%) vs offensive zone starts (11%). Compare that to someone like Carlo on Boston who had 21% defensive zone starts vs 3% offensive zone and it doesn't look so skewed. Some of that can also be attributed to team play, as most of Detroits dmen had higher D-zone starts than O-zone last season if you compare those and remove neutral zone starts and on the fly changes.

All that said, this is a very nice contract and Mo should only get better as he hits his prime. I do think he's a great young player, so I'm not knocking him or trying to come off that way.
He played the hardest minutes in NHL history since they started recording it IIRC.

So yea, kind of historic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad