Proposal: DeBrusk for Kapanen

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Is this a reasonable basis for a deal? The Penguins have seemingly tired of Kapanen at this point and DeBrusk asked for a trade a little while back. Both are about the same age and make about the same amount of money. Kapanen has been a bit more productive, so I think he might have a tad more value than DeBrusk, but is something around this basis reasonable?

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Is this a reasonable basis for a deal? The Penguins have seemingly tired of Kapanen at this point and DeBrusk asked for a trade a little while back. Both are about the same age and make about the same amount of money. Kapanen has been a bit more productive, so I think he might have a tad more value than DeBrusk, but is something around this basis reasonable?

But why?

Reactions: biturbo19

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Because Sullivan gets really stupid about some players every now and then. Same thing happened with Ian Cole when he was with the Penguins.

Kapanen really isn't helping his case that much, but Sullivan has obviously had it out for him for a while now. Ever since his visa got delayed before the start of last year, it seemed like Sullivan was incredibly quick to discipline Kapanen for anything.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Heck I'd throw in a 5th from the Bruins to make it happen. Kapenen is a RW, so they could throw him out there with Marchand and Bergeron and he'd probably look awesome.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

I think the Oilers could use an upgrade at RW. How about something around a Kassian - Kapanen swap?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the Oilers could use an upgrade at RW. How about something around a Kassian - Kapanen swap?

Uh.....no :laugh:

That would be atrocious for Pittsburgh. Kapanen for DeBrusk makes sense because they're both about the same age, make about the same money and (IMO) have about the same pedigree. Kassian is a borderline cap dump at this point.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
Heck I'd throw in a 5th from the Bruins to make it happen. Kapenen is a RW, so they could throw him out there with Marchand and Bergeron and he'd probably look awesome.

Well we thought the same with Crosby and Malkin. He really has not worked too well with eithr over a longer stretch (he was good towards the end of last seasons with Malkin). He always has a game or two when you can see all the talent and then he seems to fall off the map again for a couple of games. Just really really inconsistent.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Cant see Penguins doing this.

Kapanen 25yrs RFA 2022
44gp9g15a24p+6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Debrusk 25yrs RFA 2022
38gp7g8a15p-3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Kapanen is a bit cheaper, more productive and play all situations. I see Bruins having to add a 2nd or similar?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Cant see Penguins doing this.

Kapanen 25yrs RFA 2022
44gp9g15a24p+6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Debrusk 25yrs RFA 2022
38gp7g8a15p-3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Kapanen is a bit cheaper, more productive and play all situations. I see Bruins having to add a 2nd or similar?

Kapanen doesn't play in all situations, he doesn't get PK time for the Penguins and has generally only been used in an offensive role. This isn't saying he can't do it, he obviously showed in Toronto that he could, but he just hasn't been used that way for the Penguins.

With that being said, something like DeBrusk and a 3rd for Kapanen seems reasonable to me, but the Bruins wouldn't have to add anything egregious on top of DeBrusk IMO.

I can't see why Pittsburgh would even consider this. Kapanen is actually good. DeBrusk... ehh

Kapanen's isn't bad, the problem is that he's been wildly inconsistent this year and Sullivan seems to have a grudge with him. Look at Kapanen's production this year, he only has points in 17 of 45 games and over half of his points (13) come in 6 games.

He's not really that great of an analytical player, has stretches where he looks like he's not engaged and not doing much and the Penguins are pretty much exclusively using him in an offensive role. I totally understand why he's in Sullivan's dog house, but Sullivan has had a bone to pick with him ever since he arrived in Pittsburgh.

Leafed

Jan 28, 2009
Well we thought the same with Crosby and Malkin. He really has not worked too well with eithr over a longer stretch (he was good towards the end of last seasons with Malkin). He always has a game or two when you can see all the talent and then he seems to fall off the map again for a couple of games. Just really really inconsistent.

And the Leafs thought the same with Matthews and Tavares before that

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

Kapanen is generally terrible with elite players. He was pretty bad on either of the top two lines in Toronto as well, just seems to lack the hockey sense to know where to be on the ice and not a very good passer. He is pretty skilled though and the speed is next level so he can be a really nice 3rd line and PK option

Reactions: biturbo19

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Kapanen's isn't bad, the problem is that he's been wildly inconsistent this year and Sullivan seems to have a grudge with him. Look at Kapanen's production this year, he only has points in 17 of 45 games and over half of his points (13) come in 6 games.

He's not really that great of an analytical player, has stretches where he looks like he's not engaged and not doing much and the Penguins are pretty much exclusively using him in an offensive role. I totally understand why he's in Sullivan's dog house, but Sullivan has had a bone to pick with him ever since he arrived in Pittsburgh.

DeBrusk has those same concerns no? I don't think he's nearly as talented as Kapanen, so with those same concerns I just don't see why Pens would want him. If they were to trade Kapanen which is possible then they could do better I think.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Uh.....no :laugh:

That would be atrocious for Pittsburgh. Kapanen for DeBrusk makes sense because they're both about the same age, make about the same money and (IMO) have about the same pedigree. Kassian is a borderline cap dump at this point.

I'd do an add from Edmonton's standpoint because of Kassian's extra contract length, but they make same $$$.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
for as underwhelming as Kapanen has been, I would not even entertain the idea of this trade. No thanks.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I'd do an add from Edmonton's standpoint because of Kassian's extra contract length, but they make same $$$.

You have to add atleast a 2nd + prospect for someone to take Kassian for free. For kapanen, I`d think that you would have to add a 1st and a GOOD prospect atleast. I still doubt Penguins would do it, as Kapanen is better suited for playoffs than Kassian. Kapanen can actually contribure on the scoresheet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad