Value of: Debrincat at the deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think it's now pretty clear that the only race the Senators will contend in is the race for Bedard.

What do you guys think Debrincat can fetch at the deadline? They didn't pay a lot to get him and he's not able to really score without an elite playmaker which the Sens don't have.

Imagine him on a team with McDavid, Marner, MacKinnon, Kucherov etc?

I bet teams will be lining up to get him at 50% retained and the Sens will get more than they paid to get him most likely.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I think it's now pretty clear that the only race the Senators will contend in is the race for Bedard.

What do you guys think Debrincat can fetch at the deadline? They didn't pay a lot to get him and he's not able to really score without an elite playmaker which the Sens don't have.

I bet teams will be lining up to get him at 50% retained and the Sens will get more than they paid to get him most likely.
three games ago you guys we're in that race yourselves, it's early a slide can impact them pretty heavily. Let's talk this more seriously in December

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
three games ago you guys we're in that race yourselves, it's early a slide can impact them pretty heavily. Let's talk this more seriously in December

That was media driven hysteria lol. They went nuts because the Leafs lost to some bad teams. The Leafs 3 games ago had a better record than the year before when they finished with 110+ points.

Comparing the Leafs start to the Sens doesn't make any sense.

Plus, Detroit and Buffalo are also playing extremely well. I can't see them with that goaltending come back and leapfrog over the already established teams like Boston, Toronto, Florida, Tampa + do better than Detroit or the Sabres to snag a wild card or divisional spot.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Debrincat?

If the Oilers lose Kane for an extended amount of time (and they will) maybe there is some kind of deal to be made here. I have always been a fan of his play.

Oilers make a blockbuster for Debrincat and Zub. Would make my day.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
By the same logic, because Buffalo and Detroit are doing well, and the Florida teams are definitely not missing the playoffs, the Leafs should trade their star players for cap dumps and go for Bedard as well.

Reactions: NB613 and bert

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
I'm down to trade DeBrincat as a Sens fan which hurts to say as I really like the player and we obviously just acquired him but with the impending cap implications that Ottawa has to deal with, giving a massive 9M contract to a winger (albeit a great one) will hurt the structure of this team.

We have Pinto, Sanderson, and Zub all needing raises in the next 2 years. The defence also needs some massive upgrades that are far more important than retaining a winger. Re-Signing Cat loses us any significant flexibility to add to our defensive core which is a glaring problem for the Sens right now and probably in the future.

We already have multiple big ticket forwards in the Sens core and spending the money towards our defence is more important IMO.

Trading him for a defensemen or a piece that can inevitably acquire a defensemen is the return I'd be looking for.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
The Cat is a hell of a player. However, I'd probably trade him for something that addresses the Sens needs, as they have a decent amount of high scoring forwards.

I'd like an up and coming right shot defenseman with top 4 potential, and a blue-chip goalie prospect. Although, there isn't really such a thing as a blue chip goalie prospect, they are such a crap shoot.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
By the same logic, because Buffalo and Detroit are doing well, and the Florida teams are definitely not missing the playoffs, the Leafs should trade their star players for cap dumps and go for Bedard as well.

Leafs are 6th in the East right now lol, they just got 5 of 6 points from the top 3 seeded teams with their 3rd string goalie.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018

Debrincat can absolutely score without a top playmaker. If you watched the games, it would be obvious to you.

He isn't executing, but that won't last.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Sens shouldn't re-sign DeBrincat even if the team turns things around and he wants to stay.

Already have 5 forwards locked up for 36M and Pinto will make it 40M+ after this summer.

Need to save money for the defense and goaltending, which are the positions a budget team should prioritize.

Takurcitee

Apr 22, 2022
I think Calgary would make sense they could really use him and could send back some of their dman which Ottawa needs

Last edited:

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I feel like the only player the Sens would be interested in is Dobson, which is a non starter for the Isles.

You're right, at the way he's been playing there is no way the Isles would trade Dobson.

Pulock for DeBrincat straight up.

Pulock is signed through 2030, DeBrincat through 2023. And for that reason, I'm out.

Like I said - "a dream" - and I'll keep dreaming.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

How hard did this make you when you posted it. He has been snake bitten while shooting at 4%. The sens have been winning or tied in every game in the third period this season except for 2 which were both one goal loses.

I get you want to pile on because it makes you feel better but its pretty evident you havent watched any of their games. Every advanced metric even goal differential say they are a way better team than their record. Try harder.

Reactions: robsenz

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
I think the Sens would also be interested in Pulock.
They could be but I don't think his age would align well with the Sens core. He's 28 and will be about 30 ish once the Sens core enters their prime. Assuming Pulock starts to slow down around 34 ish (when I feel like most players do), their window to compete would be 3-4 years. They can keep that window open longer if they traded for someone like Dobson, who keeps on getting better and will likely be entering his prime in about 2-3 years, or roughly the same time as the rest of the team.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
They could be but I don't think his age would align well with the Sens core. He's 28 and will be about 30 ish once the Sens core enters their prime. Assuming Pulock starts to slow down around 34 ish (when I feel like most players do), their window to compete would be 3-4 years. They can keep that window open longer if they traded for someone like Dobson, who keeps on getting better and will likely be entering his prime in about 2-3 years, or roughly the same time as the rest of the team.
Either guy is a pipe dream (especially with a full NTC for Pulock), but I strongly suspect the Sens would jump at Debrincat for Pulock.

Reactions: EK392000

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
He's only 24 and signed a LT contract this summer if I remember correctly.

I don't get why Ottawa would need or want to trade him.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Because everyone is panicking as his shots havent gone in even though he has got chances and has done alot of other things right. Still has 11 points in 12 games shooting at 4%.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018

Just FYI, he is up for a new contract this coming summer. His QO is 9mil and it would walk him right to UFA. So, there is some figuring out to do for sure, but nothing that really needs to be addressed until the summer.

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Because everyone is panicking as his shots havent gone in even though he has got chances and has done alot of other things right. Still has 11 points in 12 games shooting at 4%.
I am surprised at how good of a playmaker he is, I expected a pure sniper but this guy puts up points even when he can't score.

Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad