Rumor: DeAngelo to KHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
He was pretty popular with the Canes, he fit in with the group well. Just didn’t defend as well as he did the first time around, I think a bit of that was on Orlov but TDA never turned it around. That’s why he’s gone, not for any of the other vitriol around here. Hope he does well, I think he turned the corner on a lot of the issues he had when he was younger.
Ehh I have heard from some personal insiders lately that he completely burned his bridges with the Canes coaches this year. Heard he stirred up a bunch of shit behind the scenes to the point where there was no hope of him getting playing time barring significant injuries. I'm sure the details would never come out, but from what I understand, I don't think he'll be welcome back with the team for a very long time.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
if you go by Analytics or eye test, he grades out as probably the worst defensive player in the league. So that explains why no contender or teams on the edge looking to bolster dcorps would sign him.

As for rebuilding/tanking teams who could afford his defensive miscues, probably not someone you want mentoring or setting examples for young guys and kids or the culture there.

Hes cooked in the NHL

Reactions: uncleben

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Ehh I have heard from some personal insiders lately that he completely burned his bridges with the Canes coaches this year. Heard he stirred up a bunch of shit behind the scenes to the point where there was no hope of him getting playing time barring significant injuries. I'm sure the details would never come out, but from what I understand, I don't think he'll be welcome back with the team for a very long time.
Like I said about your info in the other thread, not buying it.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
TDA is a better person than anyone of the wussy communists bitching about him on here are. That being said he can't actually play defense worth a damn; that's the problem here.
I feel like you are the kind of guy who would've called seatbelts communist in the 1970s. Or that you believe Elon Musk is fighting for freedom of speech.

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
Honest question, given the recent "prisoner" exchange, how clueless are these US/CAN morons that keep signing in the KHL?

Are they just betting they have zero value back home so won't end up in prison on baloney charges? WTF?

I can almost understand the guys trying to avoid prison in Canada by signing in KHL though.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
He was very well liked in Canes room. Because player have different beliefs than average reddit user that won't make him a-hole.

He's bad playing defense and that's his problem. Canes sign Ghost who is better version of DeAngelo.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Honest question, given the recent "prisoner" exchange, how clueless are these US/CAN morons that keep signing in the KHL?

Are they just betting they have zero value back home so won't end up in prison on baloney charges? WTF?

I can almost understand the guys trying to avoid prison in Canada by signing in KHL though.

Those dudes are quite safe in the KHL. An estimated 4500 American expats currently reside in Russia. How many incarcerated Americans are/were there? 12 or so?
People are exponentially more likely to be locked up for some bullshit here.

Last edited:

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Tell us you don't know anything about the Blue Jackets without saying you don't know anything about the Blue Jackets.

Hint: Werenski would have been the #3 scorer on the Hurricanes. Not #3 defenseman, #3 skater, behind only Aho and Jarvis.
And no other Jackets defender would have cracked the Canes D line up. Maybe replace TDA as the 7th, maybe.

OysterForever

Feb 18, 2021
Not in Philly
Tony is gonna light up the KHL. It’ll be fun to watch. Maybe those KHL fans with blinders, will finally admit how far the quality of play has dropped in recent years.

When McLeod is penciled in as a “1st Line C” and Tony DeAngelo will likely lead the league in Dman scoring, maybe people will finally figure it out.

That's because of the most of the skilled European players have left the league since Russian invasion in Ukraine. Most foreigners in the league are now NA players who don't fit anywhere else.

Reactions: mattihp

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Man there are plenty of shitheads in this league and in sports in general.

TDA isn't getting any chances because he's dog shit at defensive hockey.
Yeah there are way more players in the league with the same views as TDA than a lot of fans are willing to admit. TDA's problem is he's too stupid to know when to shut up, or at least he has been in the recent past.

Reactions: Dempsey

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He was 7th D on one of if not the best D core in the league, he can easily be a mid pair guy on a team like say the Utah club, or Columbus. Theres a spot for him in the NHL. Just need a team to give him a shot.
Utah and Columbus don't want him anywhere near their young players.

Sorry but the fact is that NHL teams care about character and they do give players first and sometimes second chances but TDA isn't really a good enough player or leader to be worth the headache.

Last edited:

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Always been conflicted about Tony…I don’t like his political views, I don’t like his defensive game, and I don’t think he’s worth the roster spot

That being said…I do a charity tournament he plays in, I live right around where he grew up, and everyone says he’s the nicest/kindest guy around. I don’t know him super well, but we have a few mutual connections - and every time I’ve met him he’s been nothing but welcoming and friendly.

Also fwiw - he didn’t grow up with a silver spoon in his mouth. From what I remember family had a very modest middle class home.

I think the teammates hating him is completely off base - he had a few Flyers on his team last year in his tourny, and I guess we’ll see next week if he puts in another team.

But yeah, don’t love his stances, but everything you hear from people around the rink here is that he’s generous and a nice guy

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Always been conflicted about Tony…I don’t like his political views, I don’t like his defensive game, and I don’t think he’s worth the roster spot

That being said…I do a charity tournament he plays in, I live right around where he grew up, and everyone says he’s the nicest/kindest guy around. I don’t know him super well, but we have a few mutual connections - and every time I’ve met him he’s been nothing but welcoming and friendly.

Also fwiw - he didn’t grow up with a silver spoon in his mouth. From what I remember family had a very modest middle class home.

I think the teammates hating him is completely off base - he had a few Flyers on his team last year in his tourny, and I guess we’ll see next week if he puts in another team.

But yeah, don’t love his stances, but everything you hear from people around the rink here is that he’s generous and a nice guy
He is a great guy who does a lot in the community. He is a nice guy all around. Peeps just don't like his views, oh well. As you also said just not that good defensively is why out of the league for now.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Keep going, every response you’ve had in here is hilarious
59 being demonstrably less than 89 (1st Canes scorer) and 67 (2nd Canes scorer), and demonstrably more than 53 (3rd Canes scorer), Viqsi's answer would be strictly factual.

Though the idea that you imply that 59 is less than 53 would be ... let's say, consistent.

Edit : And you laugh-reacting basically proves my point. You have issues with facts and you'd prefer your feelings to be facts, when they aren't Again, it's nothing that users of HfBoards didn't already know.

Last edited:

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
I get he’s not great defensively and I’m not going to pretend I know his game well because I don’t watch him play regularly, but I can’t help but think that all of the people calling him names in this thread just don’t like his politics. And that’s pretty pathetic, petty and childish. No matter what your beliefs are. He’s an athlete, not a politician.

Reactions: Dirk316

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I get he’s not great defensively and I’m not going to pretend I know his game well because I don’t watch him play regularly, but I can’t help but think that all of the people calling him names in this thread just don’t like his politics. And that’s pretty pathetic, petty and childish. No matter what your beliefs are. He’s an athlete, not a politician.
Especially as his politics as such are not the problem. Just unnecessary to bring up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium