Movies: Deadpool & Wolverine

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I enjoyed it. I'd probably give it 8.5/10.

It wasn't a perfect movie - there were a lot of fight sequences, maybe even too many.

So many characters and cameos didn't leave a lot of screen time for some of the best supporting characters from the previous films.

The pacing was a bit off - it had to rush through certain parts to get to others that lagged.

But it was a perfect on the nose parody/satire/critique of the multiverse, the state of the MCU, along with jabs at DC and others along the way. And a great vehicle for Ryan Reynolds, and you could tell that Hugh enjoyed returning to the role.

The fan service was excellent in terms of the details.

I'm glad it is financially successful because it proves that if you make an enjoyable movie you can still make money in the movie business.

Last edited:

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

It wasn't a perfect movie - there were a lot of fight sequences, maybe even too many.

So many characters and cameos didn't leave a lot of screen time for some of the best supporting characters from the previous films.

The pacing was a bit off - it had to rush through certain parts to get to others that lagged.

But it was a perfect on the nose parody/satire/critique of the multiverse, the state of the MCU, along with jabs at DC and others along the way. And a great vehicle for Ryan Reynolds, and you could tell that Hugh enjoyed returning to the role.

I'm glad it is financially successful because it proves that if you make an enjoyable movie you can still make money in the movie business.
I don't find Reynolds funny. 8.5/10?
They could have chopped this up in 8 pieces and put it on a streaming service.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

I agree about the pacing. I would have really liked to have seen them dive into Wolverine's past a bit more, with some flashbacks or something, to bolster his past. That was one thing that I felt they skimmed over a bit much.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I agree about the pacing. I would have really liked to have seen them dive into Wolverine's past a bit more, with some flashbacks or something, to bolster his past. That was one thing that I felt they skimmed over a bit much.
With regards to flashbacks, I guess the budget had to get cutoff somewhere with all of the other cameos. Assuming that it would have been the original Xmen cast with Stewart, Berry, Jansen, etc. Wolverine isn't exactly a talker, so would be out of character for him to talk about his feelings.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Am I the only one who assumed right away that Evans was playing Johnny Storm and not Captain America?

Reactions: HanSolo

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I don't find Reynolds funny. 8.5/10?
They could have chopped this up in 8 pieces and put it on a streaming service.

That would have been a horrible business decision since this is only the 2nd movie of 2024 to hit a billion dollars at the box office. Inside Out 2 is the only other so far.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Just saw it. It was far from a perfect movie and not in my top 5 of Marvel movies or anything like that. The self-reverential winking got to be maybe a bit too much. Not all the comedic sequences totally landed for me. Like many, I had trouble with the pacing. The cameos were fun but there wasn’t enough time to let them truly breathe.

And yet despite all my nitpicks…it felt like the right movie for Marvel at the right time. I’m never gonna get tired of Reynolds as Deadpool or especially Hugh as Wolverine. The music was a chef’s kiss for the Gen X/Millenial demo. The absurdity of the action and jokiness only made the heart of the movie better. The end was surprisingly affecting and emotional and heartfelt. I felt like this movie at its core had an actual relatable message that some of the more self-serious comic book movies either lack or try to force.

The movie may have lacked a fully explained plot but it had heart - and that, more than anything, is what Marvel has been missing since End Game. It was two wacky hours with beloved old friends. The MCU needed that much more than it needed another sequel treading familiar ground, some high-brow philosophical movie, some confusing multiverse series, some real-world based mash-up of comics and politics and terrorism or some “here’s our teen squad of the same characters!” show.

The use of Like a Prayer throughout was just so awesome but the choir version at the end (finally both versions are actually out now) was stunningly beautiful and gave me goosebumps.

Also loved the credits with the behind the scenes over the years. Seeing a super young Hugh on the set of X-Men really makes you appreciate - as silly as this sounds - how these comic book heroes have been in our lives for so long on the screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: BertCorbeau

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
That would have been a horrible business decision since this is only the 2nd movie of 2024 to hit a billion dollars at the box office. Inside Out 2 is the only other so far.
A movie with Deadpool and wolverine should make that much money, its a no brainer but I found the movie was a typical kids movie with added violence to make it rated R. They should have done so much more with it. Like another poster said they wanted to know the back story of what happened to Wolverine. That would have added depth to the movie. It was like they were in a race to get Deadpool and Wolverine on the screen together.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
A movie with Deadpool and wolverine should make that much money, its a no brainer but I found the movie was a typical kids movie with added violence to make it rated R. They should have done so much more with it. Like another poster said they wanted to know the back story of what happened to Wolverine. That would have added depth to the movie. It was like they were in a race to get Deadpool and Wolverine on the screen together.

I mean the movie is pretty clear it understands its existence is an excuse to get two great characters on the screen together.

I don’t need to see a full movie or even a montage of “X-Men: The Fall”. We inherently understand what this Wolverine is struggling with. The less that is explained in detail, the better as a plot device. It’s not something he wants to talk about. It’s not something we need to see. The lack of detail and ambiguity makes it more relatable as an emotional state we can all understand in ourselves at some level.

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Just saw it. It was far from a perfect movie and not in my top 5 of Marvel movies or anything like that. The self-reverential winking got to be maybe a bit too much. Not all the comedic sequences totally landed for me. Like many, I had trouble with the pacing. The cameos were fun but there wasn’t enough time to let them truly breathe.

And yet despite all my nitpicks…it felt like the right movie for Marvel at the right time. I’m never gonna get tired of Reynolds as Deadpool or especially Hugh as Wolverine. The music was a chef’s kiss for the Gen X/Millenial demo. The absurdity of the action and jokiness only made the heart of the movie better. The end was surprisingly affecting and emotional and heartfelt. I felt like this movie at its core had an actual relatable message that some of the more self-serious comic book movies either lack or try to force.

The movie may have lacked a fully explained plot but it had heart - and that, more than anything, is what Marvel has been missing since End Game. It was two wacky hours with beloved old friends. The MCU needed that much more than it needed another sequel treading familiar ground, some high-brow philosophical movie, some confusing multiverse series, some real-world based mash-up of comics and politics and terrorism or some “here’s our teen squad of the same characters!” show.

The use of Like a Prayer throughout was just so awesome but the choir version at the end (finally both versions are actually out now) was stunningly beautiful and gave me goosebumps.

Also loved the credits with the behind the scenes over the years. Seeing a super young Hugh on the set of X-Men really makes you appreciate - as silly as this sounds - how these comic book heroes have been in our lives for so long on the screen.
That was my initial thought as well... like, too much of a good thing is still too much

But in the days that followed, I began to fully appreciate what the filmmakers were going for based on what they were working with... and in hindsight, they absolutely nailed it!

Sure, the story could've been tighter, and not every joke was as home run, but the performances are outstanding, there's plenty of action and gore and silliness, and overall it's a helluva lotta fun!

Last edited:
Reactions: BKarchitect

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Am I the only one who assumed right away that Evans was playing Johnny Storm and not Captain America?
Immediately. Like as soon as I saw his face I figured "no way this is some Cap variant"

Like it's cool enough to get a return of Evans but it didn't surprise me one bit. Especially when it was building up to the reveal.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Immediately. Like as soon as I saw his face I figured "no way this is some Cap variant"

Like it's cool enough to get a return of Evans but it didn't surprise me one bit. Especially when it was building up to the reveal.
I went on the Friday of the weekend this was released but had it spoiled for me on my news feed. I was pretty upset about that.

I like to think I'd have been suspicious, but there's no way I'd have thought it was from his role in Fantastic 4 though. Firstly cause I only saw that movie before I'd watched MCU and knew who Chris Evans was. And Secondly I forgot every single thing about that F4 movie the second I was done watching it, it made no impression on me at all. Now that was a bad movie, but not even like a bad movie where you could laugh and talk about how it was bad, just boring and unimpressive in every way.

Last edited:
Reactions: tacogeoff

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I went on the Friday of the weekend this was released but had it spoiled for me on my news feed. I was pretty upset about that.

I like to think I'd have been suspicious, but there's no way I'd have thought it was from his role in Fantastic 4 though. Firstly cause I only saw that movie before I'd watched MCU and knew who Chris Evans was. And Secondly I forgot every single thing about that F4 movie the second I was done watching it, it made no impression on me at all. Now that was a bad movie, but not even like a bad movie where you could laugh and talk about how it was bad, just boring and unimpressive in every way.
I mean sure. By post Dark Knight/MCU standards, it's unremarkable. When it came out though it was fairly solid compared to other superhero movies of the day. I don't know, for me I always found it amusing that Evans was playing another big name Marvel hero. Especially when I first heard he was playing Cap. To me it felt like the joke wrote itself as soon as I saw him.

Back to that first Fantastic Four movie, I'd definitely rather watch that over the sequel or the absymal reboot.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
And it continues to make bank

Deadpool & Wolverine is falling to No. 2 after ruling the roost for three consecutive weekends, but there’s no reason to feel sorry for the irreverent Marvel and Disney pic, which has shattered numerous records on its way to now ranking as the top-grossing R-rated film of all time at the global box office, not adjusted for inflation.

Directed by Shawn Levy and starring Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman, Deadpool & Wolverine achieved its latest milestone Aug. 15 after passing up Joker and finishing the day with a global tally of $1,086 billion.

The threequel earned a stellar $29 million in its fourth outing for a domestic tally of $545.9 million. Its foreign tally is $596.8 million for a worldwide cume of $1.142 billion, making it the No. 9 MCU movie of all time.

Reactions: John Price

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I mean sure. By post Dark Knight/MCU standards, it's unremarkable. When it came out though it was fairly solid compared to other superhero movies of the day. I don't know, for me I always found it amusing that Evans was playing another big name Marvel hero. Especially when I first heard he was playing Cap. To me it felt like the joke wrote itself as soon as I saw him.

Back to that first Fantastic Four movie, I'd definitely rather watch that over the sequel or the absymal reboot.
The Evans F4 movie, I did like the F4 cast. I get why they went with the name recognition of Alba, but she's not a great actor. Think the 3 male cast members for the F4 from Evans one were the best of the 3 groups that have been used, including the upcoming one.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Well I also hate the Tobey Maguire Spiderman movies. Seriously I will stand by Spiderman 3 being worse than ANY MCU movie, including the god awful Iron Man 3 and miles worse than "The Marvel's" which ranks mid table for MCU for me. The first two were hardly better. And the Xmen movies were meh to bad.

So i guess thats fair, unremarkable and bland to the point of being completely forgettable was among the "better" superhero movies of the time.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Saw it for the second time tonight. The theater was much quieter than when I went on the first weekend after it opened. I wonder if the theater was full of people that had already seen it and/or don't know the genre of movie that the movie was? It was a packed house. I still loved it but the energy in the theater wasn't nearly as good.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
After a week out of the top box office spot, the movie took it back for North America. Remains 2nd for the year though with 6 less weeks in theaters than Inside out 2

1-Deadpool & Wolverine$19,467,000-3,630-$5,362$603,808,1176Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures
2-Alien: Romulus$11,511,000-3,120-$3,689$90,951,6313Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures
3-It Ends with Us$9,525,000-3,551-$2,682$135,818,8004Sony Pictures Releasing
4-Reagan$9,200,040-2,754-$3,340$9,200,0401-
5-Twisters$8,750,000-3,005-$2,911$259,621,9357Universal Pictures
6-The Forge$6,300,000-1,921-$3,279$16,013,2732Affirm Films
7-Blink Twice$5,913,000-3,067-$1,927$16,566,5502-
8-Despicable Me 4$5,610,000-2,698-$2,079$355,640,4909Universal Pictures
9-Afraid$4,475,000-3,003-$1,490$4,475,0001Sony Pictures Releasing
10-Inside Out 2$4,015,000-2,660-$1,509$651,254,54112Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures

1Inside Out 2$1,667,354,541$651,254,54139.1%$1,016,100,00060.9%
2Deadpool & Wolverine$1,262,208,117$603,808,11747.8%$658,400,00052.2%
3Despicable Me 4$915,307,490$355,640,49038.9%$559,667,00061.1%
4Dune: Part Two$711,844,358$282,144,35839.6%$429,700,00060.4%
5Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire$567,650,016$196,350,01634.6%$371,300,00065.4%

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ad

Upcoming events

• Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $472.00