Value of: David Savard at the deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Montreal is in all likelihood going to be a seller, I think we can all agree and one of the guys I think we are going to hear about is David Savard, especially considering he's got an attractive to some teams because it means he's not a rental.

The downside to that is he's only played 8 games this year so that impacts his value you would think.

I do think if he's healthy he could help a lot of teams.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
His health is no a issue , he add a broken hand from a slapshot, could happen to anyone.
Savard as been playing 60 games+ a year

I'd say a 2nd + a good prospect or a late first between 25-32
That is way too optimistic IMO. There are guys like Tanev, Hanifin who should be available at TDL. Savard Without retention, I think 3rd pick is realistic scenario.

Last edited:

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I think if you are willing to retain on him you could get a really good return. Retain 50% and then some is getting this year and next year of Savard at 1.75M. That is worth a 1st.

The issue is do you use your 3rd and last retention slot on Savard? For a first I would.

Monahan probably moves at the deadline too but his salary is so low you don't need to retain to up his value.

Assuming you move monahan you want to keep Dvo so need to use it there. Armia? no amount of retention gets you any value back. Savard is the one guy with retention who gets you a 1st.

Reactions: Puckclektr and pth2

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I think if you are willing to retain on him you could get a really good return. Retain 50% and then some is getting this year and next year of Savard at 1.75M. That is worth a 1st.

The issue is do you use your 3rd and last retention slot on Savard? For a first I would.

Monahan probably moves at the deadline too but his salary is so low you don't need to retain to up his value.

Assuming you move monahan you want to keep Dvo so need to use it there. Armia? no amount of retention gets you any value back. Savard is the one guy with retention who gets you a 1st.
This. If there aren't any attractive offers for Savard, perhaps move Kovacevic instead.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
The Habs will have all of the 1sts this draft.
Habs might get first round value without getting a first round pick, such as happened with Lehkonen.

Monahan's value is going to be more dependent on the market than Savard; Savard might not be moved at all, Monahan will fetch whatever is offered, though if it's a 4th or less, I figure his mentorship is worth more, and if he's only worth that he's still resignable.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
No idea what Savard is worth, but any proposals need to consider that Montreal has stacks of picks next two drafts including 4 seconds and 4 thirds, no cap issues, and no one in the immediate funnel to replace what Savard provides. Oh, and a stacked offensive talent rich LD prospect pool that will require shut down RD to pair. So if MTL is wanting to compete for a playoff spot as early as next year - and I think that is the plan - they need Savard as much as any team.

So while he may be only worth a 2nd and B prospect, give or take, he is almost for sure worth more to MTL. Been arguing this with Habs fans on our board - I think they will try and resign him before moving him for a meh return. The guy is 31, he eats minutes, takes all the tough assignments and has some underrated offensive chops including a great first pass. Has won a Cup. His relatively low offensive output is related to his usage - he starts in his own zone 70% of the time which is a bit nuts.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Literally didn't even know that guy was still in the league. Can't imagine more than a 3rd

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I doubt they get a 1st for anyone.

I mean, hell yeah. Probably get a 1st for Savard, Pearson, Monahan, Pezzetta, Wideman.

Stacked.

Savard I could maybe see at 50% retention

No idea what Savard is worth, but any proposals need to consider that Montreal has stacks of picks next two drafts including 4 seconds and 4 thirds, no cap issues, and no one in the immediate funnel to replace what Savard provides. Oh, and a stacked offensive talent rich LD prospect pool that will require shut down RD to pair. So if MTL is wanting to compete for a playoff spot as early as next year - and I think that is the plan - they need Savard as much as any team.

So while he may be only worth a 2nd and B prospect, give or take, he is almost for sure worth more to MTL. Been arguing this with Habs fans on our board - I think they will try and resign him before moving him for a meh return. The guy is 31, he eats minutes, takes all the tough assignments and has some underrated offensive chops including a great first pass. Has won a Cup. His relatively low offensive output is related to his usage - he starts in his own zone 70% of the time which is a bit nuts.

He's 33

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I'm not sure MTL would want to trade him. He's very good vet presence and MTL is AHL thin on RD. Trading him create more problem then solution in the end. So a team interested would need to make KH a one of a kind offer.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Depends on how willing Montreal is to move him. Savard wasn't really replaceable even when he was playing poorly, so I'm pretty skeptical there's much interest in moving him now that he's been playing better unless the offer was too good be true.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
What about for Gallagher?
Despite improved play of late, with his contract he must be worth something like negative two first rounders, and a team willing to deal with the cap complications of having him on LTIR for the last year or two of his deal (which would seem likely given recent injury-plagued seasons)

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Depends on how willing Montreal is to move him. Savard wasn't really replaceable even when he was playing poorly, so I'm pretty skeptical there's much interest in moving him now that he's been playing better unless the offer was too good be true.

They are rebuilding they don't need to replace him right now.

Reactions: CDN24

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
They are rebuilding they don't need to replace him right now.

Montreal already has one of the youngest D-cores in the NHL (if not the youngest). Savard's job is to absorb difficult minutes so that less experienced guys don't have to. They need someone to do that. So unless they get another guy to do that (don't really need anyone good, just able to play the role) and the net return is good enough without hurting their cap situation long term, then there isn't a reason to move Savard.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Montreal already has one of the youngest D-cores in the NHL (if not the youngest). Savard's job is to absorb difficult minutes so that less experienced guys don't have to. They need someone to do that. So unless they get another guy to do that (don't really need anyone good, just able to play the role) and the net return is good enough without hurting their cap situation long term, then there isn't a reason to move Savard.
I guess it all depends on if they expect to be able to replace him over the summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad