Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Playing hockey in a country waging war is already a quagmire. I wouldn’t read too much into anything Russian hockey decision makers do or don’t do at this particular time.

They still are in the business of winning hockey games over there.

There's smoke on the kid and the willingness to let him play anywhere but with your team is reinforcing that smoke.

You don't see Nikishin getting sent to Carolina.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

There's smoke on the kid and the willingness to let him play anywhere but with your team is reinforcing that smoke.

Yeah that Nikishin kid gets little fanfare when in fact he might be the best prospect in the KHL.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
It would've been interesting to see how differently Michkov would be perceived if he played last year on SKA and had significantly lower point totals on a good team trying to win, rather than playing on a shitty team where he just had to worry about his point totals rather than playing defensively and trying to win games.

The fact that last year his team thought a washed up, recently arrested, Alex Galchenyuk would help his team win more than he could is a bit concerning.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
It would've been interesting to see how differently Michkov would be perceived if he played last year on SKA and had significantly lower point totals on a good team trying to win, rather than playing on a shitty team where he just had to worry about his point totals rather than playing defensively and trying to win games.

The fact that last year his team thought a washed up, recently arrested, Alex Galchenyuk would help his team win more than he could is a bit concerning.
Yeah it's a concern that he can't make the SKA team, but honestly KHL teams are kind of known for making those types of weird decisions and not actually icing the best team they can. So I'm not sure we can give too much credence to it because it wouldn't surprise me if the reason was something extremely petty and dumb on SKA's part.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

He'll be in North America this upcoming year. And you can usually judge a draft 7 to 10 years after it. So the proof will be in the pudding in the coming years when it comes to the Michkov vs. Reinbacher debate.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
It's not unheard-of that a GM or coach simply doesn't like how a player interprets his role. We saw how Bergevin and Therrien both did not like how Subban played. Rotenberg doesn't like frail wingers who cheat on offense. Simple as.

There's no point over-speculating on it now, Michkov will be a rookie in the NHL soon enough and the former foreign policy experts (current psychologists) will find other criticisms to lay at Michkov's feet. The story isn't over, Montreal fans will produce a lot more smearing for years to come. The audacity of Michkov to have a father who died and be loaned to another team.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
He'll be in North America this upcoming year. And you can usually judge a draft 7 to 10 years after it.
OT but I don't agree with that. I think the value that a draft pick provides prior to his UFA years is more important than what he provides afterwards. There is a benefit to rapid development.

Reactions: bsl and Sam de Mtl

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Isn't there another thread where people can post their takes that are exclusively about Michkov?

This is the Reinbacher thread, is it not?

Yeah but even if every team with the 5th pick, including Philly who took Michkov, was going to take Reinbacher.. this fan base can't get over they didn't take THEIR BPA instead of the leagues BPA.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
There's definitely a lot of smoke in the case of Michkov. There's no denying that.
What is this smoke exactly? I have yet to see something that makes me say "okay that's actually concerning". I mean let's not forget how some here were scared that Michkov was never coming over and his father's death seemed fishy in that it could be a sign to keep him in Russia. It was a distasteful comment at the time, and even moreso now. Some teammates potentially thinking he's a dick doesn't say a lot either as I also recall reading reports on how a teammate of his was saying that he'll mature, he just wants to win really badly and wants his team to play at their best. You've got guys like Mackinnon who loses his shit at teammates often or JT Miller being seen as a cancer for like 90% of his career yet people are just chalking that up to competitiveness. Maybe I am wrong and he actually is in fact a dick, but there absolutely is denying of this smoke, a lot of that is from people here reaching to try and assure themselves that they are right and know everything about this kid.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yeah but even if every team with the 5th pick, including Philly who took Michkov, was going to take Reinbacher.. this fan base can't get over they didn't take THEIR BPA instead of the leagues BPA.
With everyone knowing that Arizona was going to draft a dman, they could absolutely afford to take Reinbacher at 5 and Michkov at 7 even if they had the latter as BPA. Reports were also saying he wanted to trade up from 7 to 5 because of Michkov.

A lot of teams did want Reinbacher though which is encouraging.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
OT but I don't agree with that. I think the value that a draft pick provides prior to his UFA years is more important than what he provides afterwards. There is a benefit to rapid development.
You can take that into consideration when you evaluate the draft pick. A player who ends up being better in his prime can be evaluated to be a lesser player overall if they provide better years prior to their UFA years.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
What is this smoke exactly? I have yet to see something that makes me say "okay that's actually concerning". I mean let's not forget how some here were scared that Michkov was never coming over and his father's death seemed fishy in that it could be a sign to keep him in Russia. It was a distasteful comment at the time, and even moreso now. Some teammates potentially thinking he's a dick doesn't say a lot either as I also recall reading reports on how a teammate of his was saying that he'll mature, he just wants to win really badly and wants his team to play at their best. You've got guys like Mackinnon who loses his shit at teammates often or JT Miller being seen as a cancer for like 90% of his career yet people are just chalking that up to competitiveness. Maybe I am wrong and he actually is in fact a dick, but there absolutely is denying of this smoke, a lot of that is from people here reaching to try and assure themselves that they are right and know everything about this kid.
People saying there's no smoke are trying to assure themselves they were right to want to pick him.

Before the draft, we heard he was a bad teammate and that he would refuse to play for some teams.

Since the draft, the team that has his rights would prefer he play for another team than theirs even though he proved he was producing alot and they've actually allowed him to get out of his 2 extra years of contract (rumored or confirmed?) instead of rostering him and helping them win a championship (he's a special player, he should be a positive for a contending team).

There's definitely smoke but it could all be a smokescreen and not a fire.

Reactions: The Great Weal

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
People saying there's no smoke are trying to assure themselves they were right to want to pick him.

Before the draft, we heard he was a bad teammate and that he would refuse to play for some teams.

Since the draft, the team that has his rights would prefer he play for another team than theirs even though he proved he was producing alot and they've actually allowed him to get out of his 2 extra years of contract (rumored or confirmed?) instead of rostering him and helping them win a championship (he's a special player, he should be a positive for a contending team).

There's definitely smoke but it could all be a smokescreen and not a fire.
I don't doubt he refused to play for some teams (Arizona most notably). Fair enough in regards to the second part of your post, I just have a hard time valuing what the KHL management does over there in terms of decisions regarding young players, it's very inconsistent.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Not a mod but could we please get back to topic?

Reinbacher is a future part of the Montreal Canadiens' team while Michkov isn't, and I get that some still feel strongly about that part but they should discuss it in the corresponding thread, not this one.

Getting back on topic myself; Reinbacher looks like pretty much a sure-fire top-4 defenseman for us, which is great, and I really liked his game in the AHL.

He looked big, strong, and he was very solid two-way though his positioning wasn't always perfect, nor was his gap control. But that's normal for a EU defenseman used to the big ice coming over to pro NA rinks for the first time.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
This is also the Michkov thread heh? The BMP youtube site shows this debate about MM. They say he doesn't give a f*** playing any sort of defense in his last 4 games. Snake Boivert answer it doesn't mean anything for the moment. If it's a problem, Torto will bench MM for 4 games and MM will learn.
Boivert is more concerned about not being impressed by the offensive game of MM.
For those who understand french, here's the link.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Every case has to be judged on its own merits, based on sources. None of us have access to the politics behind the scenes (which often permeate decision making in Russia), nor any evidence of what motivated a particular outcome. Trying to figure out what these behind the scenes murky situations beget is a sport I don’t particularly find edifying but to each their own.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Every case has to be judged on its own merits, based on sources. None of us have access to the politics behind the scenes (which often permeate decision making in Russia), nor any evidence of what motivated a particular outcome. Trying to figure out what these behind the scenes murky situations beget is a sport I don’t particularly find edifying but to each their own.

Sure but there's very little logical explanations for a team to just let a guy go play anywhere but for their team, for essentially what would be, 4 years.

Either he's not as good as people think, the character concerns are legitimate or the organization is pejorative slurred.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This is also the Michkov thread heh? The BMP youtube site shows this debate about MM. They say he doesn't give a f*** playing any sort of defense in his last 4 games. Snake Boivert answer it doesn't mean anything for the moment. If it's a problem, Torto will bench MM for 4 games and MM will learn.
Boivert is more concerned about not being impressed by the offensive game of MM.
For those who understand french, here's the link.

I don't remember the exact source. But I remember a couple of people in the media who follow hockey closely discussing how much bad defensive play pre-NHL matters, when discussing Cole Eiserman. They brought up the example of Pasternk and said it was his bad defensive play and perceived defensive ineptitude that caused him to drop to 26th overall in his draft year.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Agreed. Nishushkin, if not for his personal issues, is a great player, yet he was a terrible draft pick because he took too long to develop and didn't provide any value for the team that drafted him.

There are quite a few exemples of late bloomers who could rise in redrafted but actually shouldn't because they took longer to develop than the period of time their team could keep them. Basically, if they have to go through waivers and are not NHL ready, they are a failed draft pick. They may still become a good player, but they didn't work out for the team that drafted them.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Sure but there's very little logical explanations for a team to just let a guy go play anywhere but for their team, for essentially what would be, 4 years.

Either he's not as good as people think, the character concerns are legitimate or the organization is pejorative slurred.

It is weird that at every turn, SKA looks to move him out of their line-up. Two years in a row, they loan him to Sochi. And now, they're even willing to let him go to the NHL even though they still have him signed for another two years and KHL doesn't have a transfer agreement with the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad