Prospect Info: David Reinbacher - Get Well Soon Edition

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Nope. I disagree with plenty of posts that are sound and a matter of preference.

A bad take is a bad take because it's poorly grounded. That has nothing to do with preferences.

I've been wrong about plenty of prospects insofar as my confidence in their likelihood of reaching their ceiling. But when talking prospects, it's pretty baseless to assert with certainty that a 19 year old will or won't become something. That kind of take is about as useful as claiming with certainty that a coin flip will land head or tails. Hence, poorly grounded.

Fischer? Was decent pick, didn't work out. I appreciated the rationale and still do. Of the 10 players picked after him in the first round, only 4 went on to success at the NHL level.

Kotkaniemi... Also a decent pick. I maintain, like with Galch, that terrible development contributed to his stunted progression. That others picked below him have had a much better U25 career doesn't really change either assessment. I was wrong about how quickly he'd cement himself as a top 6 NHLer, especially after going to Carolina... But frankly, I still think there's a good chance he gets there in his 25-30 seasons... We'll see.

To your question... Yes, absolutely a player can be the "right pick" even if they don't realize their full potential. Was Yakupov the "wrong pick" because many picked after him ended up having a better career? Hindsight is an addictive drug, I get it, but it's pretty silly as a lens to assess a past decision.

Some decisions are poor at the time they are made, others are the right decision with a bad outcome. If one can't understand the difference between the two, it's likely that their ability to make good assessments is quite limited, and their takes likely quite poor.

Does a person who plays the lottery for 20 years instead of investing (in themselves or in a sound portfolio) making a good decision? Does the quality of their decision making improve if they win one day? By your logic, I suppose so :dunno:
You make some valid points

• Wow
Reactions: Miller Time

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Here's a little nugget... I wouldve gone with Michkov myself.

And I doubt I'd have gone with Slaf...

:dunno:
I would’ve taken Michkov and Wright…

But I don’t follow the minor leagues so I can’t be held responsible for my ignorance on that front.

I get why we took him. Hopefully he recovers well. I’m still optimistic that he’ll be a good player for us. Nothing fancy but that’s okay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miller Time

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I would’ve taken Michkov and Wright…

But I don’t follow the minor leagues so I can’t be held responsible for my ignorance on that front.

I get why we took him. Hopefully he recovers well. I’m still optimistic that he’ll be a good player for us. Nothing fancy but that’s okay.

Wright looked atrocious in the playoffs leading up the draft. Are you positive?

He was getting points but he had zero compete in his game, I think those were HUGE red flags, so much so that I know I wasn't alone in thinking that we should absolutely not take him.

Though tbh I don't think I really had a favorite deep down, I just wanted us to make the right pick.

If I had to make the pick myself, I probably would have gone Logan Cooley.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'd rather just pick the better player and teach a LD to use a right handed stick 🤣

Drafting a inferior player just because of their position really peeves me.

He was the BPA if you take Michkov out of the mix, which you would almost assuredly have to do if you know that he's manipulating the process to go where he wants to go, and doesn't want to go to your team.

• Haha
Reactions: Fight4yourRight

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
He was the BPA if you take Michkov out of the mix, which you would almost assuredly have to do if you know that he's manipulating the process to go where he wants to go, and doesn't want to go to your team.
After all the smears and hearsay and lies, I have to challenge these things. Is this now establish facts? Source please.

Using a freak knee injury to the player to talk about how they shouldn't have been picked? Using an injury to being up "BPA" which we know is the thinnest veiled way to try to bring Michkov into this discussion? Using terms like Bustbacher and other general terms of disrespect toward a nice 19 year old kid who has already been cyber bullied on draft night, by many of the people who complained they get backlash about posting clips of Michkov skating to the bench in the out of town thread?
Totally correct, Reinbacher doesn't deserve all the smears and disrespect you allege to have noticed. Can you extend the courtesy to other prospects and players?

Last edited:

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Him being injured has no bearing on if he was or wasn’t BPA….Habs had him as BPA, that’s where the buck stops

Then BPA is complete bullshit, and you know it.

I see it both ways. I don't believe there is a 'universal'/'objective' BPA. It's always "BPA for us" which is basically the same as picking for needs but they have lists and they rank lists and there's always a "best" player left on the list as players are picked.

Reinbacher was atop their list and we have to accept + respect it. Nothing more to say there and it's not worth re-litigating it so soon after the draft.

The injury sucks but it doesn't mean the draft day evaluation has to be challenged. They said he was a unanimous pick and they praised every facet of his game on and off the ice. If we like KH's drafting so far we can't suddenly challenge this one and only this one and we don't need to argue and be insecure about it either imo.

I wanted Michkov because I felt he was "BPA for us" but once Reinbacher was taken it seemed like a perfectly legitimate pick and not worth crying about -- he was the best D in the first round and we needed more d-men. End of story as far as I'm concerned. Michkov is an amazing prospect and I'll be rooting for his success but until there's been enough time we can't just say Reinbacher was a bad pick. Who knows how things will turn out: Michkov could turn out to be too slow/weak for the NHL and Reinbacher could turn out to be the steady, confident, minute-eating d-man every winning team loves to have. The injury really sucks but what can you do.

To add: every time the playoffs come around, certain kinds of players get filtered out of the discussion of "great players". Even 100pt Mitch Marner is disrespected because of this. There is a lot of runway in both their careers and a lot of ways for Michkov's to go wrong. I was looked at upside and (imo) Michkov's is higher and sexier but the club works in reality and the fact is there are significant downsides to Michkov too and, similarly, sometimes we tend to underrate the positive impact and upside of a steady top2 dman. These sorts of players don't tend to play differently in the playoffs. That is by itself a massive quality and to (Prospect) Reinbacher's credit.

btw I looked up Maisonneuve Fracture... OUCH. Hope it's not that.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
After all the smears and hearsay and lies, I have to challenge these things. Is this now establish facts? Source please.

Totally correct, Reinbacher doesn't deserve all the smears and disrespect you allege to have noticed. Can you extend the courtesy to other prospects and players?

It was Friedman on a recent edition of 32 thoughts. He said that Michkov and his camp withheld information and told information differently to other teams to manipulate the outcome to go where he wanted, which is Philly.

Michkov also met with them secretly on top of the regularly scheduled one that he had with other teams.

It's where he wanted to go, so even if you picked him, he could sulk and stay in Russia to force a move like Gauthier did to Philly.. and the return for Gauthier, is rarely ever the value of the guy forcing his way out.

And I do extend the courtesy to other prospects and players; all I've ever done on the Michkov saga is say that how SKA wanted nothing to do with him, even if he returns from Philly this year, is a strange thing to wrap your head around and gives a lot of credence to the smoke regarding the character questions. Turns out SKA is just a really stupid organization, as evidenced by handling Demidov; so I've not made the assertation recently.

Just a case of a guy who wanted to go somewhere and used his contract in Russia to navigate his way favorably through the process.

Reactions: morhilane

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
There was also Leonard.

Reinbacher was around 10 or 11 if I remember correctly in general BPA lists.

I'm not trying to focus on Michkov, more that the Habs pick for need so often and I wish they would pick the better player, you can pick for need once your prospect pool is fully stocked up. At the draft they said their decision to draft him might have been different if he wasn't a righty.

I'm sure many of us have nightmares about the KK pick.

If Reinbacher doesn't pan out to be a top line RD then we probably have to trade for one, might as well pick the best player and deal with needs later.

Hughes has shown he is a bulldog at getting what he wants, I believe in his ability to find us what we need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad