Prospect Info: David Reinbacher - Get Well Soon Edition

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Huh? I said NHL draft scouting/rankings lists, try and find one with him below 8, I'll wait.
I had Reinbacher at 8. Didn't like his hands for top pairing. Michkov or Leonard been my pick. According to how interviews went. Likely been Michkov because skill I had him at 2. Michkov has 100 points written all over him. Russian factor, size slid him a little for me. I'd probably try trade down with Philly where high on Leonard also. They said he wanted to go there, Been a factor to me. Also trade down from 5 to 7 should gained nice asset.

A year ago Slaf didn't look good while Cooley had great camp. It turned around during season.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
I had Reinbacher at 8. Didn't like his hands for top pairing. Michkov or Leonard been my pick. According to how interviews went. Likely been Michkov because skill I had him at 2. Michkov has 100 points written all over him. Russian factor, size slid him a little for me. I'd probably try trade down with Philly where high on Leonard also. They said he wanted to go there, Been a factor to me. Also trade down from 5 to 7 should gained nice asset.

A year ago Slaf didn't look good while Cooley had great camp. It turned around during season.

I can't find a central scouting list with him lower than 8, and he goes down from there. I mean whatever, its done. I just don't recall anyone here saying he was a target at 5 considering who was available. I am sure there were, his name just came out of left field on draft day,

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I can't find a central scouting list with him lower than 8, and he goes down from there. I mean whatever, its done. I just don't recall anyone here saying he was a target at 5 considering who was available. I am sure there were, his name just came out of left field on draft day,
I wouldn't say Reinbacher came out of leftfield. But not my choice at 5.

Reactions: jaffy27

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Fair enough, i'm sure he was talked about at some point but 90% of the people seemed shocked here

I could be misremembering, but I thought most people here WANTED michkov, but knew we were looking hard at Reinbacher. It wasn't so much surprising as disappointing. Assuming he can get healthy, I think it all worked out in the end with demidov falling to us, though.

Reactions: HuGort

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Ok, try and find a single scouting list with him below 8, because I cannot
I don’t have a whack of lists at the ready and I’m certainly not chasing my tail for one.

I’m just telling you that Mackenzie’s list is the most reliable we have and it’s an amalgamation of several scouts. He doesn’t just make it up himself.

Bottom line is that he went around where most thought he would. Does that mean he’ll work out or was BPA? I have no idea. It’s way too soon to know and it will be years from now before we can say with certainty.

But that won’t stop the usual suspects from shitting on him at least until he starts playing regularly. That’s the way it works around here - people have zero patience.

Last edited:

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
I don’t have a whack of lists at the ready and I’m certainly not chasing my tail for one.

I’m just telling you that Mackenzie’s list is the most reliable we have and it’s an amalgamation of several scouts. He doesn’t just make it up himself.

Bottom line is that he went around where most thought he would. Does that mean he’ll work out or was BPA? I have no idea. It’s way too soon to know and it will be years from now before we can say with certainty.

But that won’t stop the usual suspects from shitting on him at least until he starts playing regularly. That’s the way it works around here - people have zero patience.

I have patience, he just hasn't passed the eye test or he's been hurt two years in a row. It's not like watching Hutson or PK , I just haven't seen much yet to be impressed.

Reactions: ReimanSum1908

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I have patience, he just hasn't passed the eye test or he's been hurt two years in a row. It's not like watching Hutson or PK , I just haven't seen much yet to be impressed.
That’s fine. Also fine to not be happy with the pick. Everyone has their own opinion.

I just hate it when a player gets dumped on infinitely when he hasn’t gotten a chance yet. The first year of Slaf was brutal on these boards.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
All that matters is that Philly tried to get pick 5 to take... Reinbacher.
Arizona wanted Reinbacher at 6.
Nashville tried to trade Askarov and a war chest of picks to take.. Reinbacher.

Taking Michkov out of the equation due to the fact that Friedman confirmed he engineered his way to Philly; Reinbacher was considered by the NHL and the teams, the most desirable prospect to pick at that spot.

This has been confirmed a thousand times over since the draft.

All that matters now is trying to develop him to the highest possible ceiling and I'm glad they are doing the Dach thing with him as we see, so far, Dach seems unaffected by the lost season.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I think the difference is there. You cannot watch Reinbacher and expect something like PK or Hutson. Those are Offensive defenseman with elite attribute. When you look at Reinbacher, it is on little detail. When you watch Pietrangelo, he doesnt step you up off you seat when he plays.
I remember when I watched a game phoenix vs acadie bathrust. I been lucky to be sit beside M. Fugere, scout from LA kings. I said to him, Dobson isnt really good. He just told me, he is gonna be a really good one in the NHL. But, the way he was playing, my, it was boring as hell. Those dman shutdown top line, able to get their part of point and able to keep a + ratio. This is huge. But yeah, this is not as much exciting than the way Hutson and PK play.

Reactions: Benstheman

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
I think the difference is there. You cannot watch Reinbacher and expect something like PK or Hutson. Those are Offensive defenseman with elite attribute. When you look at Reinbacher, it is on little detail. When you watch Pietrangelo, he doesnt step you up off you seat when he plays.
I remember when I watched a game phoenix vs acadie bathrust. I been lucky to be sit beside M. Fugere, scout from LA kings. I said to him, Dobson isnt really good. He just told me, he is gonna be a really good one in the NHL. But, the way he was playing, my, it was boring as hell. Those dman shutdown top line, able to get their part of point and able to keep a + ratio. This is huge. But yeah, this is not as much exciting than the way Hutson and PK play.
People also need to remember that offense isn't just assists and goals. Offense starts the second you turn over the puck from the other team. Reinbacher has the potential to defend the rush well and cause the other team to turn the puck over. He has the potential to kill plays along the boards/win board battles and turn the puck over. And I've definitely saw how he can usually make a pretty good breakout pass once he's done these things. That gets the offense moving back to the other zone, even if it doesn't always show up as assists. I think he has the highest ceiling for doing this kind of work in our prospect pool (turn the puck over and start the breakout).

Reactions: Hins77

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I still haven’t seen enough of this guy to have a real opinion on him.

He’s not fancy and there are clearly good players we passed on to take him. Again, no problem with anyone who felt he was a bad pick. Maybe he was.

But I understand why he was taken and I hope people will give him a chance to show what he can do before dumping all over him. Sucks that he’s hurt but he’s young and should recover. All the best to this guy.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002

Well he's sure missed a lot of hockey since his draft.... that worries me even more. And another year down the toilet this year, brutal for the kid

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Well he's sure missed a lot of hockey since his draft.... that worries me even more. And another year down the toilet this year, brutal for the kid
Thats sure. To me, if he becomes a Ryan Mcdonagh or a Noah Dobson we gonna be lucky. I mean. There is no really top pair D on our pipeline. I think Reinbacher is gonna be a good one. The kind of D wich are unavaillable on trade market

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Yeah, he had a good camp. He was going to go to Laval because we have the time to develop him slowly.

People just want Makar offense from a top 5 pick but that isn't what he is.. that doesn't stop people from looking for it and getting mad about it, I guess.

If you order vanilla ice cream, you can't be mad at it when there's no cookie dough in it.

People also forget that the primary role of a defenseman is to defend against the rushes and consistently win defensive matchup.

Reinbacher is extremely good in those department. Plays well above his age here.

Barron and Mailloux being inconsistent in this department is what is blocking them from blossoming into NHL regular.

Flashy offense and puck skills is nice, but its worthless if you can't consistently defend. On the other hand, guys who can properly defend even if they have no puck skills had big contracts and pretty good career. (Savard is one, Pesce, Tanev etc.). Now when you have one who can properly defend but who also can activate on offense, its worth a f***ing boatload.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
People also forget that the primary role of a defenseman is to defend against the rushes and consistently win defensive matchup.

Reinbacher is extremely good in those department. Plays well above his age here.

Barron and Mailloux being inconsistent in this department is what is blocking them from blossoming into NHL regular.

Flashy offense and puck skills is nice, but its worthless if you can't consistently defend. On the other hand, guys who can properly defend even if they have no puck skills had big contracts and pretty good career. (Savard is one, Pesce, Tanev etc.). Now when you have one who can properly defend but who also can activate on offense, its worth a f***ing boatload.
Exactly, one thing I noticed when Barron, Mailloux or Struble are on the ice, the opposite team cycle well the puck and they have a lot of secondes in our D zone. When Reinbacher is on the ice, he is really solid to stop the play and exit the puck out of our D zone. This is a small detail, but so much important. Barron isnt reslly physical so this is hard to stop the rush. Mailloux and Xhekaj same problem, IQ istn that high in D zone, and Struble is really strong, but thats it. Reinbacher has everything, fast, big, and physical. And I woulds say his IQ his pretty high

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

He's not a PK/Hutson type player. That's not his game. He's a defensive stalwart type player and the eventual defensive partner to Hutson.

He takes good routes defensively, takes away ice using his long reach, veers guys off into less dangerous areas of the ice, is smart positionally and can make transition plays. He makes strong takeouts, but doesn't go out of his way to make a hit if that's not the best play.

He's going to a be penalty kill leader & play 25-30 minutes a night against McDavid, Barkov, Matthews, etc. That's his role. That's how he'll fit into this team.

He's already better than Mailloux and Barron, like it's not even close. Both defensively & on the PK.

He was legitimately on his way to making the team this year. Our best defensive efforts in the pre-seaon, including PK, was when he was in the lineup.

We could've had Guhle, Struble, Savard & Reinbacher on the PK this year, and it's guaranteed improvement. Now, I don't know who we replace Reinbacher with. Mailloux? He sucks on the PK. Barron sucks in general.

A D of: Matheson-Guhle, Hutson-Savard, Struble/Xhekaj - Reinbacher would have been our best lineup.

Matheson, Hutson: PP
Guhle, Savard, Reinbacher, Struble: PK

Now, Matheson probably PKs again, and Guhle is going to have to play his off-side again. That all worked so well last year!

He's making the team next year. It sounds like they're going to work with him on his physical development. He's going to be a beast.

Reactions: Hins77 and bopeep

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He's not a PK/Hutson type player. That's not his game. He's a defensive stalwart type player and the eventual defensive partner to Hutson.

He takes good routes defensively, takes away ice using his long reach, veers guys off into less dangerous areas of the ice, is smart positionally and can make transition plays. He makes strong takeouts, but doesn't go out of his way to make a hit if that's not the best play.

He's going to a be penalty kill leader & play 25-30 minutes a night against McDavid, Barkov, Matthews, etc. That's his role. That's how he'll fit into this team.

He's already better than Mailloux and Barron, like it's not even close. Both defensively & on the PK.

He was legitimately on his way to making the team this year. Our best defensive efforts in the pre-seaon, including PK, was when he was in the lineup.

We could've had Guhle, Struble, Savard & Reinbacher on the PK this year, and it's guaranteed improvement. Now, I don't know who we replace Reinbacher with. Mailloux? He sucks on the PK. Barron sucks in general.

A D of: Matheson-Guhle, Hutson-Savard, Struble/Xhekaj - Reinbacher would have been our best lineup.

Matheson, Hutson: PP
Guhle, Savard, Reinbacher, Struble: PK

Now, Matheson probably PKs again, and Guhle is going to have to play his off-side again. That all worked so well last year!

He's making the team next year. It sounds like they're going to work with him on his physical development. He's going to be a beast.
And this is why it’s a really good idea to hang onto Savard. The other two guys are not ready for that kind of role at all. We’re going to rely on Savard to do a lot of heavy lifting this year. And that’s why I think we won’t make the playoffs. All due respect to Savard, he’s good but that D is so, so green.

Depending on what happens, I could even see us trading Barron for a vet RD. That will depend on how he plays and where we are in the standings. But Mailloux, Savard and Barron is pretty rough going into the year. So green.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Exactly, one thing I noticed when Barron, Mailloux or Struble are on the ice, the opposite team cycle well the puck and they have a lot of secondes in our D zone. When Reinbacher is on the ice, he is really solid to stop the play and exit the puck out of our D zone. This is a small detail, but so much important. Barron isnt reslly physical so this is hard to stop the rush. Mailloux and Xhekaj same problem, IQ istn that high in D zone, and Struble is really strong, but thats it. Reinbacher has everything, fast, big, and physical. And I woulds say his IQ his pretty high

Exactly.

But its not sexy. Its even hard to see as it don't pop out.

Puck skills does, so does fumble. Reinbacher did not scored well here.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I wouldn't say Reinbacher came out of leftfield. But not my choice at 5.
Wasn’t my choice either, I was hoping for Leonard or Michkov but then again, I am not privy to ALL the information pro scouts have on these players!

I’m just jaffy from HF which isn’t saying much lol

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Wasn’t my choice either, I was hoping for Leonard or Michkov but then again, I am not privy to ALL the information pro scouts have on these players!

I’m just jaffy from HF which isn’t saying much lol
Yep the scouts saw something and they decided DR was the right guy. I am not in any capacity able to criticize them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad