Player Discussion David Perron (LW) 2 years, 4M per

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He's on CiH right now,

Shameless “plagiarism” by Brent Wallace at the beginning.
First question tries to make a joke word for word that they made on 1200 a couple days ago. Made it awkward and imo embarrassing. Terrible.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm not sure what your point is to be honest.

Stepan and Burrows being productive on the PP is another reason to lump Perron into the same category with them. They're older declining players who's positives don't outweigh their cons in the larger picture.

Tarasenko doesn't rely on the PP as much as Perron does and never has, but he is still an effective even-strength player, even if he's not the fastest.

My whole point is critiquing the Perron acquisition because its in the same area as the Stepan trade and Burrows extension. Perron might be better than those two, I'm not penalizing him for being effective on the PP, i'm critiquing him because he isn't going to be doing much else aside from the intangibles he'll bring because I don't think those intangibles are going to help us as much as all situations production like we'll get with someone like Tarasenko or the plethora of other FAs we could've signed.
Lazy narrative comparing Perron to those two players. Burrows never had his talent and was declining way faster he came off a 22 points in 79 game season. Stepan didnt want to be here and couldnt skate at all. He was coming off of 28 points in 70 games.

Perron just had 47 points in 76 games.

Neither of those players and situations are similar. Neither of those players had cups and multiple runs. While Burrows played with an edge he was not nearly the same level player.

They targeted players with hockey sense that are versatile competitors. Clearly something Dorion A. Couldnt identify and B. Didnt know how to build a room or culture.

People keep repeating that intangibles and leadership wont help or arent needed. When this team had zero culture and leadership. Tkachuk and Giroux clearly need more help. Alfie and Jacques were in the room reporting directly to Staios. Do you honestly think they have no clue what they are talking about?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Great interview... This guy pumps you up. I think he's going to be exactly what the doctor ordered as far as upping the leadership on this team.
He's going to make a difference bringing a winner's attitude to the team. How many games did we admire Giroux's no quit game last year .. Our youngish core can give more and having another guy in the room and on the ice to bring that out is the hope, Amadio and Jensen's play and attitude should help that as well.

I wouldn't mind adding another vet 4C that is good defensively and on the PK. Bonino comes to mind maybe a good PTO candidate if he remains unsigned, Rem Pitlick a bit of a tweener could be another PTO type.
I like what Perron said during the interview. He sounds like he will be a great addition to the team.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
He might be a tough guy to play against with good on-the-board play and puck protection, but $4 million for that and while scoring at a 50pt space, while slowing down is puts him in the same category as declining Stepan and Burrows.

I don’t recall a declining Burrows or Stepan putting up 50 points.
How much do you think 50 point UFA players make.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I don’t recall a declining Burrows or Stepan putting up 50 points.
How much do you think 50 point UFA players make.

Neither guy got close to 50 points, but then again neither of them was getting 2.57 minutes of PP time a game on their team's top unit and playing beside Larkin/Kane for a good portion of the season.

I remember cautioning people about Kubalik last offseason. People penciled him in for 20-30G, ignoring that he wasn't going to be getting the same kind of minutes, both on the PP and at even strength playing beside top players. We saw how that turned out.

If Perron gets top 6 time all year and, more importantly, becomes a key cog on our top PP unit, he'll do just fine. If he plays in a similar role to Tarasenko, where he spends a lot of time on our 3rd line and 2nd PP unit, I don't think he'll sniff 50 points.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Neither guy got close to 50 points, but then again neither of them was getting 2.57 minutes of PP time a game on their team's top unit and playing beside Larkin/Kane for a good portion of the season.

I remember cautioning people about Kubalik last offseason. People penciled him in for 20-30G, ignoring that he wasn't going to be getting the same kind of minutes, both on the PP and at even strength playing beside top players. We saw how that turned out.

If Perron gets top 6 time all year and, more importantly, becomes a key cog on our top PP unit, he'll do just fine. If he plays in a similar role to Tarasenko, where he spends a lot of time on our 3rd line and 2nd PP unit, I don't think he'll sniff 50 points.
The key is good linemates rather than line numbers. Kubalik spent a fair bit of his time with Kelly, Kastelic, and Chartier, hopefully Perron will manage to keep away from playing with fringe players like that.

Its also important to note that Perron isn't one dimensional like Kubalik,

Perron isn't likely to be a 50 pts player for us, but he's a better player than Kubalik.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
That’s fair, more like 40 if third lines and 2nd PP.
So maybe somewhere in between the two. also dependant on injuries and opportunities

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Oh yeah, reminds me how my Joseph > Kubalik opinion that got quite contested last year, particularly on CF. I am also saying now that Tarasenko is better than Perron although I might say that Perron has more facets in his game, hopefully he's still able to bring it at a high enough level, at least the first year. If not, that's another potential buy out candidate.

He'll have to fight with Pinto, Greig and for PP time.

That’s fair, more like 40 if third lines and 2nd PP.
So maybe somewhere in between the two. also dependant on injuries and opportunities

Mathieu Joseph had more even strength points than Perron last season so if he doesn't get many PP pts, he likely won't score 40 pts. Entirely dependent on Norris' (and others) health IMO. Personally, I hope he doesn't reach that plateau because it would mean that our top guys are healthy.

Reactions: Hale The Villain

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Perron could end up in the top six, it might make sense from a Sens perspective to keep Pinto on a 3rd line & hope he doesn't cost too much in a couple of yrs.

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Perron - Stutzle - Giroux
Greig - Pinto - Amadio
Gregor - Cousins - MacEwan

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Jensen
Kleven - JBD/Hamonic

Ullmark - Forsberg/Sogaard

Reactions: Icelevel

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
The key is good linemates rather than line numbers. Kubalik spent a fair bit of his time with Kelly, Kastelic, and Chartier, hopefully Perron will manage to keep away from playing with fringe players like that.

Its also important to note that Perron isn't one dimensional like Kubalik,

Perron isn't likely to be a 50 pts player for us, but he's a better player than Kubalik.
I also think people were talking about Kubalik in this way before we signed Tarasenko. Kubalik would have put up more points if we hadn't signed Tarasenko.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Perron could end up in the top six, it might make sense from a Sens perspective to keep Pinto on a 3rd line & hope he doesn't cost too much in a couple of yrs.

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Perron - Stutzle - Giroux
Greig - Pinto - Amadio
Gregor - Cousins - MacEwan

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Jensen
Kleven - JBD/Hamonic

Ullmark - Forsberg/Sogaard
with pinto's agent this is not a possibility

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I also think people were talking about Kubalik in this way before we signed Tarasenko. Kubalik would have put up more points if we hadn't signed Tarasenko.
Would he? He didnt do anything after they traded Tarasenko. Kubalik was too slow never won any puck battles, a true black hole all season. Terrible pro scouting and GMing taking him back. He was a contract dump they couldnt get a 7th for him at the deadline now he is out of the NHL.

The Tarasenko signing really killed Kubalik, he had no viable role on the team after that.
He had 20 games to get the role, never even sniffed it.

Says Perron prefers his strong side, right side, but can play both he said.
Sounds like he should play the right side with Greig on the third line which to me is a great fit for both of them. Will be a pain in the ass to play against.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Perron, you want to be a leader? Just don't take any dumb penalties, especially if we're still 'in' the game and it's not a blowout.

Let him play at whatever wing is going to get us the most wins (and Perron the most points)

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Perron, you want to be a leader? Just don't take any dumb penalties, especially if we're still 'in' the game and it's not a blowout.

Let him play at whatever wing is going to get us the most wins (and Perron the most points)

In recent years this team hasn't really cared if players take dumb penalties, as long as they are of the violent variety (slashing, cross checking, etc...).

Hopefully that will change under Green. Need to stay out of the box if we're going to win games.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He'd checked out by that point. Not saying he was good or anything, but trading for him, then acquiring Tank shortly after is vintage Dorion, no long term plan,

Forget long-term plan, there wasn't even a short-term plan.

It's crazy to me that Kubalik was even included in the deal if we were going after Tarasenko. Didn't have the cap space for both guys and Pinto.

Just mindblowing how little foresight Dorion had.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
In recent years this team hasn't really cared if players take dumb penalties, as long as they are of the violent variety (slashing, cross checking, etc...).

Hopefully that will change under Green. Need to stay out of the box if we're going to win games.
Especially if we have guys like Cousins who might stir some stuff up, but guys like Brady or Perron will have to answer for him.

Play hard, be arseholes, but reign in the penalties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad