Player Discussion David Perron (D) 2 years / 4M AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Can't remember who said it, but we didn't need a Tarasenko again, we needed a guy like this. Still not 100% sold on this, but we'll see
It would have appeared a little silly to bring back the same big UFA after all the talk about roster and locker room changes being necessary. I think Perron was the right choice out of the 2 of them even though Tarasenko was a good pro in Ottawa.

Last edited:

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
It would have appeared a little silly to bring back the same big UFA after all the talk about roster and locker room changes being necessary. I think Perron was the right choice out of the 2 of them even though Tarasenko was a good pro in Ottawa.
Yeah, less skill more growl. Tarasenko was good though, we just need a guy who forechecks like a fiend.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Good signing. Will look good with Stutzle and Giroux. Big body who has great IQ and finishing and can play the passing game.
Will need to see where both his and giroux’s skating is at. May not be able to have them both on the same line.

Judging by red wings fans saying how great he is on the boards they may play him with Brady to absolutely dominate other teams down low.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Your pk better be on point.

Players matter for the PK, but I think PK is something coachable. If there is a good system in place and players buy in just about anyone can kill penalties.

And honestly the PK can't be much worse than last season. So lets try something completely new. f*** it.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Do we even know if Tarasenko wanted to come back to Ott or maybe he prefers to stay in the States?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Players matter for the PK, but I think PK is something coachable. If there is a good system in place and players buy in just about anyone can kill penalties.

And honestly the PK can't be much worse than last season. So lets try something completely new. f*** it.
I don't agree that anyone can play the PK.

Given the 1 man disadvantage I think a PK needs quick fast players at forward to be able to react quickly to the other team's passing and attacking the net. The D can be larger and slower while playing a contain game in front of or near the net.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Given the 1 man disadvantage I think a PK needs quick fast players at forward to be able to react quickly to the other team's passing and attacking the net. The D can be larger and slower while playing a contain game in front of or near the net.
Should just study the Oilers this playoffs. That was an insane run of basically PK perfection.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

I think physical attributes can certainly be effective on the pk. In a perfect world you have a big fast guy who is smart killing penalties. I just think that being smart is more important for that role.

Guys like Chris Kelly and Shawn van Allen were tremendous penalty killers for the sens in the past and they never had oodles of size or speed.

Reactions: Cosmix

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Next year PK forwards Pinto, Ostapchuk, Gregor with 1 spot available

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

I think Greig will be part of the PK group, if I had to guess. They may also continue with Giroux starting the PK for his faceoff prowess. Personally I did not like that wrinkle though.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Grieg Stü and Giroux all killed penalties last year, Giroux quite a bit likely due to his faceoff prowess.

There's also Norris who would probably have been a regular pk guy by now if not for his health issues.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I thought Ostapchuk looked good on the PK last season; he did not get much time there but he seemed to know the smart moves.

Pinto is smart too ; I think he is a little slow though .

Gregor I have not seen though he is reputable;y fast and quick.

Giroux for face-offs was VG but he has lost a step now so I am concerned about his ability and stamina to handle it. We have lost Kelly and Joseph who provided defensive smarts and quickness.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think Greig will be part of the PK group, if I had to guess. They may also continue with Girous starting the PK for his faceoff prowess. Personally I did not like that wrinkle though.
Agree 100%. Giroux should be off the PK

Grieg Stü and Giroux all killed penalties last year, Giroux quite a bit likely due to his faceoff prowess.

There's also Norris who would probably have been a regular pk guy by now if not for his health issues.
I don’t want Stu on the PK. Save his minutes for ES + Pp

Reactions: DrEasy and Cosmix

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I thought Ostapchuk looked good on the PK last season; he did not get much time there but he seemed to know the smart moves.

Pinto is smart too ; I think he is a little slow though .

Gregor I have not seen though he is reputable;y fast and quick.

Giroux for face-offs was VG but he has lost a step now so I am concerned about his ability and stamina to handle it. We have lost Kelly and Joseph who provided defensive smarts and quickness.
Kelly was pretty good on the PK, Joseph got some chances on turnovers but he actually wasn’t very good on a set PK, he’s fools gold on the PK.

Reactions: LiseL

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
If Norris is healthy, he usually plays on the PK. Didn't JM use Timmy last year? I think when a skilled player is on the PK, they learn a lot about defensive hockey and playing without the puck, something many on this forward group need to learn.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If Norris is healthy, he usually plays on the PK. Didn't JM use Timmy last year? I think when a a skilled player is on the PK, they learn a lot about defensive hockey and playing without the puck, something many on this forward group need to learn.
Norris and Timmy can be extra PK forwards but I don’t think they should be in the primary 4.

Reactions: Cosmix and K1900L

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
If Norris is healthy, he usually plays on the PK. Didn't JM use Timmy last year? I think when a skilled player is on the PK, they learn a lot about defensive hockey and playing without the puck, something many on this forward group need to learn.
Norris is also really good positionally and a good skater, I think he could excel there.

I’d keep Timmy off to maximize his offensive production but I think Norris is best utilized as an all situations guy if you can get him back to form anyway.

Reactions: Cosmix and BigRig4

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I have not seen Perron enough to give an informed view. He is slowing down at his age so I have concerns.
So you haven’t seen him enough but you still default to a position of terrible signing. Nuff said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad