NFL: Davante Adams requests a trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
IMG_8755.jpeg

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

2nd round pick is possible IMO. But, would require LV to eat some of his base salary. He makes basically $1 mill per game. NYG got a 2nd from SEA because they ate close to 90% of L. Williams remaining salary.

He is done the guaranteed portion of his contract after 2024. So, for any team to keep Adams beyond 2024, they'd need to redo his contract, which he has leverage as he's due $35.6 mill in base salary for 2025. So, if he doesn't get his number, he'd dare the club to keep him at that number, which a team won't. He'd play for that number unlike Reddick at $14 mill.

Reactions: mouser

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Could see the Bills, Jets and Chiefs all come knocking.

No shot he stays in the division but i could at least see them asking. More than likely he shacks up with his old buddy Aaron in New York. Especially with how Garrett Wilson has seemingly forgot how to play football to start this season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Could see the Bills, Jets and Chiefs all come knocking.

No shot he stays in the division but i could at least see them asking. More than likely he shacks up with his old buddy Aaron in New York. Especially with how Garrett Wilson has seemingly forgot how to play football to start this season.
End of the day, you acquire Adams for this season and then figure out a restructured deal in the off season or you have to cut him if you can’t. Cause it would be a $35.6 mill cash and cap charge if he plays on the current contract in 2025. Doable, but most clubs would at the very least convert some of that base into a bonus to lower the cap hit by $10 mill or so.

This is why details are vital when talking nfl contract. His deal had a $28 mill AAV. But he will be paid around $67 mill or so over 3 years which is a $22.5 mill AAV. Only way it got to $28 mill was the $71 mill he is due in 25/26 seasons.

Reactions: mouser

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The only damn thing Mark Davis has done since bringing the Raiders to Las Vegas was getting himself a 26 year old girlfriend for his soon to be 70 year old ass.

This guy has no football sense like his dad, sell the f***ing team to a competent owner.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The only damn thing Mark Davis has done since bringing the Raiders to Las Vegas was getting himself a 26 year old girlfriend for his soon to be 70 year old ass.

This guy has no football sense like his dad, sell the f***ing team to a competent owner.
He has under 50% ownership. But, even if the other owners all pooled the shares together, Davis is the controlling owner in terms of football/business decisions.

But, agreed, the guy is terrible. Been bad for like 2 decades with senile Al and incompetent Mark.

Guy simply can't hire a front office an HC. You keep swapping out HC every 3-4 years, what do we see, a bunch of guys who don't get a 2nd contract because they don't fit the new system. So, never have any continuity.

Reggie McKenzie/Del Rio, to Gruden/Mayock (mostly Gruden though), Zeigler/McDaniels, to former Chargers GM and Pierce. Just constant change.

Raiders IMO have blown their shot at building a home field advantage. LV is a destination and with the NFL being a once a week event, people will fly out on Friday night/Saturday to go to LV to watch their team play, so always going to be games where the fans are about 50/50 depending on which team it is. Steelers, 49ers, Cowboys, Packers, teams like that, are going to have a large section of fans. Raiders needed to be good coming out of Covid and they haven't been. Gruden's emails, to Josh disaster to now Pierce, it's not been good.

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
One of the least surprising turn of events in the NFL. I think most people, including Raiders fans, knew this was coming with how much smoke there has been for better part of a year now. We'll see what happens but I really doubt they get a second round pick for him, let alone a second round pick+.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
One of the least surprising turn of events in the NFL. I think most people, including Raiders fans, knew this was coming with how much smoke there has been for better part of a year now. We'll see what happens but I really doubt they get a second round pick for him, let alone a second round pick+.
The more cap they are willing to eat the greater their chances.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
He has under 50% ownership. But, even if the other owners all pooled the shares together, Davis is the controlling owner in terms of football/business decisions.

But, agreed, the guy is terrible. Been bad for like 2 decades with senile Al and incompetent Mark.

Guy simply can't hire a front office an HC. You keep swapping out HC every 3-4 years, what do we see, a bunch of guys who don't get a 2nd contract because they don't fit the new system. So, never have any continuity.

Reggie McKenzie/Del Rio, to Gruden/Mayock (mostly Gruden though), Zeigler/McDaniels, to former Chargers GM and Pierce. Just constant change.

Raiders IMO have blown their shot at building a home field advantage. LV is a destination and with the NFL being a once a week event, people will fly out on Friday night/Saturday to go to LV to watch their team play, so always going to be games where the fans are about 50/50 depending on which team it is. Steelers, 49ers, Cowboys, Packers, teams like that, are going to have a large section of fans. Raiders needed to be good coming out of Covid and they haven't been. Gruden's emails, to Josh disaster to now Pierce, it's not been good.

I'll give Pierce/Telesco a chance but for Mark's other choices? Total shit.
He wanted to relive the early 2000's with Gruden but that team had better personal, Gruden came in and decided he was the GM since he was on TV for over a decade so he can choose players.

McDaniels and Ziegler, both of these idiots should thank Tom Brady for their careers since Brady has carried that 'Patriot Way' bullshit coordinators to head coaching jobs.

McKenzie and Del Rio, both shit and Del Rio is a f***ing prick of a human being.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Washington makes too much sense. They've got the cap space, need another WR, and seem to be on the upswing, especially offensively.

Think it'll depend on what kind of bidding "war" arises and how little the Raiders will take.

So is Adams the guy Pierce was referring to as making "business decisions"?

Seems that way, yes. Seems like Pierce thinks Adams was healthy enough to play and simply chose not to.

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
Don't know if he fits with Washington's timeline, they're a young team that don't even know if they're decent yet.

I think he fits in better as the missing piece on a contending team like Buffalo to put them over the top.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Don't know if he fits with Washington's timeline, they're a young team that don't even know if they're decent yet.

I think he fits in better as the missing piece on a contending team like Buffalo to put them over the top.
Enough clubs are trying to win, I think if LV retains on Adams to drop his cap hit to around $5 mill or lower there would be several clubs looking to add him. Again, would have to be similar to the L. Williams retention to get the 2nd that they are looking for.

Buffalo has a 2nd rounder from Houston. KC has a 3rd rounder from Tenn. Jets, with ARod's age, might as well push their chips in. Baltimore, do they want to push their chips in? Pitt, I don't think Adams would bet on Fields. Detroit, have WR. Should seek help on D if they add. Houston, already moved their 2nd for Diggs and have Collins. Wash, with Daniels on his rookie deal, now would be the time to strike. Dotson didn't pan out for them and they would love someone opposite McLauren.

Adams is 32 at Xmas. Still one of the top WR in the game.

With regards to his contract, he's not making $35.6 mill next season. Adams knows that. Can you work out a deal that will basically pay him about $50 mill over 2 seasons for 2025 and 2026? You'd structure it to take a $20 mill cap hit in both seasons and push about $10 mill of that charge to year 3 in 2027 at which time, you'd likely cut him.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Enough clubs are trying to win, I think if LV retains on Adams to drop his cap hit to around $5 mill or lower there would be several clubs looking to add him. Again, would have to be similar to the L. Williams retention to get the 2nd that they are looking for.

Buffalo has a 2nd rounder from Houston. KC has a 3rd rounder from Tenn. Jets, with ARod's age, might as well push their chips in. Baltimore, do they want to push their chips in? Pitt, I don't think Adams would bet on Fields. Detroit, have WR. Should seek help on D if they add. Houston, already moved their 2nd for Diggs and have Collins. Wash, with Daniels on his rookie deal, now would be the time to strike. Dotson didn't pan out for them and they would love someone opposite McLauren.

Adams is 32 at Xmas. Still one of the top WR in the game.

With regards to his contract, he's not making $35.6 mill next season. Adams knows that. Can you work out a deal that will basically pay him about $50 mill over 2 seasons for 2025 and 2026? You'd structure it to take a $20 mill cap hit in both seasons and push about $10 mill of that charge to year 3 in 2027 at which time, you'd likely cut him.
It isn't worth the cost to lost draft position(by more wins) and draft picks for a non-material gain like Adams. Washington is not winning a Super Bowl or going deep in the playoffs with the pile of garbage on their Defense(reliable for one catastrophic TD every game for multiple seasons now, and often more). There will be bumps in the road, as teams get tape and counter the current strategies employed by Kingsbury for Daniels.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

My question - and I don't expect anyone will have an answer on it, just speculating on what might affect how this goes down - is whether Adams will use agreeing to a restructure as leverage to get to a preferred destination or not.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I don’t see any realistic scenario where Adams comes to KC. The finances alone are probably disqualifying and Al would probably haunt Mark from beyond the grave if he intentionally cured what ails the Chiefs. I presume the Chiefs will add a WR but it won’t be Adams.

Adams to NYJ seems to make too much sense given how committed to the whole Rodgers experience they are already.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
My question - and I don't expect anyone will have an answer on it, just speculating on what might affect how this goes down - is whether Adams will use agreeing to a restructure as leverage to get to a preferred destination or not.
It depends on whether that club is ok with Adams as a rental for this season. Then maybe either flip him for a later pick in the off season to a team of his preference or if he holds firm on not restructuring in the offseason to get to his spot, the final resort is to cut him.

Reactions: Peat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad