Proposal: Darnell Nurse for Anthony Mantha

miserable leaf fan

Aug 14, 2012
Nurse has been terrible lately. I would not do the deal now, but when Klef and Sekera come back we would have too many defencemen. Caleb Jones just played 20 mins in his 4th NHL game, I would not be surprised if he turns out like his brother.

Klefbom - Larsson
Russell - Jones/Gravel
Sekera - Benning/Wideman

looks good without Nurse.

Lol, this has to be the funniest thing I have read on this board. You would not be surprised if Caleb turns out to be like his brother who is a norris trophy type of defensemen .

Reactions: MC2D

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
The stupid...

It hurts...
Poolparty has 5 points in 26 games this year. Hes making Yakupov look like a solid draft choice. But I'm sure that's exactly what you said about Yakupov up until he got traded.

You have nothing to say other than personal attacks. Keep em coming because you have nothing to make your case that Poolparty is well on his way to being an NHL player nevermind worthy of his draft position.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Poolparty has 5 points in 26 games this year. Hes making Yakupov look like a solid draft choice. But I'm sure that's exactly what you said about Yakupov up until he got traded.

You have nothing to say other than personal attacks. Keep em coming because you have nothing to make your case that Poolparty is well on his way to being an NHL player nevermind worthy of his draft position.
I don't have to "make a case" for anything. I watch the games for myself. He's got far more talent than Yakupov and it's not even close. Worthy of his draft position? Because where he sits three years later has any bearing on how scouts ranked him three years ago?

Again, it hurts my brain...

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
A 20 year old, with less than 120 NHL games, that won the 2016 WJC championship, who won MVP of the entire tournament (over Laine, Aho, and Matthews) and also had top scorer honors, is a bust...
Cool story bro
LOL!!!!!! Does he have anything that makes him a legit NHL player on his resume? All I see is he got dragged around by two superior players on a good team in a U20 tournament two years ago.

Today on the other hand I see a player whose team rushing him into the NHL because at 20 years old he is STILL floundering in his development. But they are so desperate to make him a top 6 winger now they don't even care to develop him properly. His value continues to drop.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
I don't have to "make a case" for anything. I watch the games for myself. He's got far more talent than Yakupov and it's not even close. Worthy of his draft position? Because where he sits three years later has any bearing on how scouts ranked him three years ago?

Again, it hurts my brain...
Yeah drafting has befuddled they Oilers for a long time are you Kevin Lowe? McT? Chia? Lol

Funny Columbus must have saw something wrong and skipped over him. Tkachuk and Keller were still available. You're acting like good drafting is an impossibility. Or that different scouts wouldn't have different opinions than the Oilers scouting staff or somehow they were railroaded into picking him just because ISS had him ranked high.its just not true.

There is a problem with the Oilers scouting department. I don't know why it seems to continue even through regime changes but there is clearly a problem.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Lol, this has to be the funniest thing I have read on this board. You would not be surprised if Caleb turns out to be like his brother who is a norris trophy type of defensemen .

Caleb Jones has started his career very similarly to Dermott. He is going to be a fine defenceman in this league. Hitchcock already loves him.

Reactions: thadd

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah drafting has befuddled they Oilers for a long time are you Kevin Lowe? McT? Chia? Lol

Funny Columbus must have saw something wrong and skipped over him. Tkachuk and Keller were still available. You're acting like good drafting is an impossibility. Or that different scouts wouldn't have different opinions than the Oilers scouting staff or somehow they were railroaded into picking him just because ISS had him ranked high.its just not true.

There is a problem with the Oilers scouting department. I don't know why it seems to continue even through regime changes but there is clearly a problem.

Don’t be absurd. Anyone in the Oilers position would have done the same. Burke just said on national TV that the Flames would have snapped Puljujarvi up if he was there at 6.

Reactions: thadd

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Don’t be absurd. Anyone in the Oilers position would have done the same. Burke just said on national TV that the Flames would have snapped Puljujarvi up if he was there at 6.
Columbus didn't. But they would have been the only one right? LMAO!

Oiler fans need to stop apologizing and making excuses for the mismanagement of their team especially at the draft table. You should be mad about that mismanagement not defending it.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Oiler fans need to stop apologizing and making excuses for the mismanagement of their team especially at the draft table. You should be mad about that mismanagement not defending it.

There's plenty of things actually based in reality to be mad about.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I mean Blake Wheeler was a 40 point winger when he was 24, then he finally put it altogether and started dominating. A lot of Wings fans see that kind of potential from Mantha, he has all the tools needed to reach that kind of level. He plays on a bad team with a very bad defense that cannot transition the puck up to the forwards. This limits his offensive chances and ultimately his production. The cliche he's better than his stats would apply. For the most part you wont find many Wings fans looking to move him, that should tell you something.

The problem is you are basically describing the Oilers team in your post so Mantha would not be any better here. And there is no way I trade a top 4 dman for a winger unless that winger is a BIG upgrade. Which Mantha is not. Nurse is on pace for almost as many points an Mantha this year. Plus he is big, tough, stands up for his team mates and seems to still have some potential for growth in his game. This would be a deal the Oilers would regret for the next 10 years.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I noticed this thread was born a few days ago and I'm quite shocked that it's still here.
Let me be blunt. Larson, Klefbom, Nurse, Russell and EVEN SEKERA are untradable this year. Why?
Check this out:
Nurse - Larsson
Gravel - Jones
Garrison - Benning
Wideman-Bear

What on earth could that be?
Our blueline depth, of course!

We will probably be getting both of Klefbom and Sekera back in Feburary or March. March sounds unrealistic, but you never know especially considering Sekera has flat out said he needs a conditioning stint in the AHL.

Russell is most likely going to play before 2019.
Gravel and Benning are fringe 3rd pairing d-men. Some people think that Benning has room to grow but I haven't seem much growth out of him since he's gone pro.
Jones has been thrown into the proverbial fire. He's looked good at times, but he still needs work and the NHL is by no means a developmental league for players of his caliber.

So if there's a proposal involving one of Edmonton's best 3 d-men (Nurse, Klefbom or Larsson) it's an automatic no go unless it's a trade where Edmonton is sending lesser parts to another organization for a d-man who is clearly better in many ways, has multiple years left on his contract and fits nicely under Edmonton's cap structure.

If you ask me that bold part pretty much makes it a no-go especially for HFboards as 80% of the people here are never in favor of taking lesser parts for their player who is clearly superior.

Nurse for Mantha is a huge joke. Not only has Nurse logged 27 and a half to nearly 30 minutes in all of his past five games, but he's also somehow 5th on the team in points and 6th in goals. Damn we suck. Nurse isn't going anywhere.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

I guess you didn't watch the Draft. Everyone on the draft panels were shocked that Edmonton had Puljujarvi.
Everyone said it was a no-brainer. Nobody has a time machine.
Just like drafting Yakupov.
If I recall correctly 1/30 teams head scouts reported that they'd take a different player over Yakupov.
So yeah, we went with Yakupov because our team wasn't that 1/30.
Again, we don't have a time machine and that's you included.

As for mismanagement, you come across as the most ignorant person in this thread as nobody slams the Oilers' dumb moves more than Oil fans. Come hang out in the Oil forum once in a while before you feel the need to judge what influences our opinions. Really, come by. We're super friendly. Just don't bring up Hall-Larson. It's been beaten to death a million times over.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Or Nurse is better than you remember

Nurse is meaner, tougher and that's all I got. They both skate like the wind and Mantha has a better shot and is a bit bigger than Nurse, but neither of these guys have done anything to suggest that one is worth a ton more than the other.

Nurse has had a better season than Mantha offensively, but when you're on the ice for nearly 1/2 of the game in Nurse's situation, the McDavid effect gets you on the scoreboard a lot more often.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

Brian Burke was on sport net after a game and said Edmonton needs to keep Puljujarvi . He said if Calgary was picking and he was available he would have taken him . He also added every GM had him at #3 .

Also when you make a Puljujarvi vs Yakupov comparison you lose all credibility. Puljujarvi is better in every way over Yakupov but hey continue to look at stats

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Think the Yakupov/Pulju problems are more due to Edmonton's development than them being bad picks.

... Not sure who had the bright idea of having Pulju sit in the press box for 5 straight games, but that's a prime example.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016

As others have pointed out you're just making yourself look foolish. If everyone thought Tkachuk and Keller were the better prospects at the time, they would have been rated higher by all the scouts. As it were, all but one team in the league had JP at #3 and would have taken him at #4. Your attempted use of hindsight to make you seem smarter than the organization or the hockey world in general is quite humoruous. Go back to troll school because you're terrible at it.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Nurse has been terrible lately. I would not do the deal now, but when Klef and Sekera come back we would have too many defencemen. Caleb Jones just played 20 mins in his 4th NHL game, I would not be surprised if he turns out like his brother.

Klefbom - Larsson
Russell - Jones/Gravel
Sekera - Benning/Wideman

looks good without Nurse.
I wouldn't call that "good".

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I wouldn't call that "good".

To expand on that, I would do it next year, when Bouchard makes the lineup. This year, he was doing great on the 3rd pairing.

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Jones - Bouchard

I would call that "good".
Caleb Jones has played 17, 18, and 19 minutes in the past 3 games, and has looked great in all of them. He would be solid in a 3rd pair role with Bouch next year.

BTW, Kris Russell is one of the most underrated defensemen in the league.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
To expand on that, I would do it next year, when Bouchard makes the lineup. This year, he was doing great on the 3rd pairing.

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Jones - Bouchard

I would call that "good".
Caleb Jones has played 17, 18, and 19 minutes in the past 3 games, and has looked great in all of them. He would be solid in a 3rd pair role with Bouch next year.

BTW, Kris Russell is one of the most underrated defensemen in the league.

I think that defence will not be a playoff team. I like Nurse a lot but we should be looking at upgrading on defense rather than cannibalizing it. I would offer:

For Pietrangelo, Fabbri

Nurse(LD), Spooner(c)(cap), Yamamoto(rw), Bear(RD), 2019 first unprotected, 2019-2nd round pick, conditional 2021-2nd round pick if Pietrangelo signs with the oilers.

Waive Wideman or send him down

Klefbom Pietrangelo
Sekera Larsson
Russel Bouchard/Jones( if jones plays Sekera moves to RD)

miserable leaf fan

Aug 14, 2012
Caleb Jones has started his career very similarly to Dermott. He is going to be a fine defenceman in this league. Hitchcock already loves him.

What does that have to do with comparing Caleb to his brother? did I say Dermott will be like Seth Jones? Dermott will never be Seth jones and so won't caleb that's the point of why this comment was so funny

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad