Player Discussion Darnell Nurse '24-25 Season Discussion

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Darnell the moment he learns his next RD partner is going to be a bit undersized but has some puck skill

200w.gif

Dude certainly has a type, lol.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Darnell with two solid games and a 2 game point streak. A lot of us were saying all he needs is a puckmover on his pair. This way he focuses more on the defensive side and rushing the puck instead of trying to become a first pass defenceman.

It's working very well so far so hopefully he keeps it up!

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
I've panned Darnell as much as anyone, but from how he has looked recently I wouldn't be shocked if he had himself a bit of a redemption season.

No doubt he has heard the criticisms of his contract, and knows the pressure that is on this franchise from the cap and how he is viewed by many because of that. He doesn't want to play himself off this team, or become enemy #1 to the fans again, like last playoffs.

Idk, I wouldn't bet on it. But I also wouldn't be surprised to see him go out and get 15g, 50+pts this year, while being a nasty defender. Does that make him worth 9.25? Idk but it's not something I'm gonna complain too much about if thats what we get out of his cap, especially if he can limit his brainfarts and keep it up in the playoffs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think when Nurse sees he has a small guy on his pairing, whether he's even consciously aware of it, he subconsciously thinks

"Damn this guy is small, I'm going to have to play more physical and let the small guy do more of the puck skill stuff", which then simplifies his game.

When he sees a bigger D on his pairing he goes

"Well the other guy can hit too, time for me to do more and be more of a rover"

Reactions: The Nuge

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
60.7% D-zone starts this season (58%; 64% 55.7% the previous three years). This player's deployment heavily tilts to hard goal suppression situations and maintains a double figure goals, 30 point production, career 22:33 avg toi with high PK minutes and close-out play. Prone to bad brainfarts but this guy gets overplayed with heavily weighted d-zone starts and critical situational play. Not absolving his poor decision making.

Top PK minutes tonight and hard 21:26 TOI. Fight. Points in two games. Get Nurse a quality 2RD partner and let's see this team go.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Reactions: soothsayer

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I don't know if he could have possibly played any worse through the first three games. Even by the lowest of Nurse standards, that was putrid and unacceptable.

Having said that, he's been very good the last two games. When Nurse is playing well you see him up the ice with the puck skating it through the neutral zone. When his feet are moving in all zones, he's very good. When he's standing around trying to make plays - look the f*** out.

Hopefully the first three games was a blip and he legitimately gets it together this year. At this point I don't even need him to be great, if he just generally plays how he has the last two games that will be massive for this team.

Reactions: TB12

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Darnell with two solid games and a 2 game point streak. A lot of us were saying all he needs is a puckmover on his pair. This way he focuses more on the defensive side and rushing the puck instead of trying to become a first pass defenceman.

It's working very well so far so hopefully he keeps it up!
Weren’t you puking all off season at the thought of stecher playing on the team?

Reactions: TB12

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Heh Plays better with a competent Partner

I really think playing with a smaller guy as a partner really refocuses Nurse's game. He realizes he has to do the heavy lifting physically on the pair and it changes the way he plays.

When he has another big body on his pairing I think he figures he's now free to do more in his game which leads to poor results.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Just want to point out. Nurse pocket picked in a very embarrassing way on first goal last night. Stopped skating when he could have easily got on top of Marchessault on the 2nd goal.

lol, but that said, Nurse looked better than usual with Stecher so far. And that's what we desperately need. Big test against Dallas next.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Just want to point out. Nurse pocket picked in a very embarrassing way on first goal last night. Stopped skating when he could have easily got on top of Marchessault on the 2nd goal.

lol, but that said, Nurse looked better than usual with Stecher so far. And that's what we desperately need. Big test against Dallas next.
His pocket wasnt picked and that was a goal that shouldn't actually be scored from that spot. Arguably he could have skated harder but that also takes you out of position.
Every goal theres a f'up by numerous players. If you are going to focus on that goal as what you view his f'up, be equally critical of ekholm for getting to the man so late & lazily.
But that wont happen cause it doesn't fit the narrative.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

Id just like to point out the McDavid turned over the puck for no reason

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
His pocket wasnt picked and that was a goal that shouldn't actually be scored from that spot. Arguably he could have skated harder but that also takes you out of position.
Every goal theres a f'up by numerous players. If you are going to focus on that goal as what you view his f'up, be equally critical of ekholm for getting to the man so late & lazily.
But that wont happen cause it doesn't fit the narrative.

I mean, Nurse creates narratives pretty easily on his own. His pocket was picked. Here is the situation he was in, and somehow he ended up being a pylon and didn't even touch the puck.
1729269443503.png

In our net a few seconds later

There was no position to be out of on the 2nd one. Ek had the guy on the boards, Henrique had the other. The other 2 preds were behind Arvidsson. It was just Nurse and Marchessault in the slot and Nurse stopped skating and did his classic full stretch reach in.

I do hope like everyone else though that he figures out how to not be a liability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad