Player Discussion Darnell Nurse '24-25 Season Discussion

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Darnell the moment he learns his next RD partner is going to be a bit undersized but has some puck skill

200w.gif

Dude certainly has a type, lol.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Darnell with two solid games and a 2 game point streak. A lot of us were saying all he needs is a puckmover on his pair. This way he focuses more on the defensive side and rushing the puck instead of trying to become a first pass defenceman.

It's working very well so far so hopefully he keeps it up!

Reactions: Oilhawks

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
I've panned Darnell as much as anyone, but from how he has looked recently I wouldn't be shocked if he had himself a bit of a redemption season.

No doubt he has heard the criticisms of his contract, and knows the pressure that is on this franchise from the cap and how he is viewed by many because of that. He doesn't want to play himself off this team, or become enemy #1 to the fans again, like last playoffs.

Idk, I wouldn't bet on it. But I also wouldn't be surprised to see him go out and get 15g, 50+pts this year, while being a nasty defender. Does that make him worth 9.25? Idk but it's not something I'm gonna complain too much about if thats what we get out of his cap, especially if he can limit his brainfarts and keep it up in the playoffs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think when Nurse sees he has a small guy on his pairing, whether he's even consciously aware of it, he subconsciously thinks

"Damn this guy is small, I'm going to have to play more physical and let the small guy do more of the puck skill stuff", which then simplifies his game.

When he sees a bigger D on his pairing he goes

"Well the other guy can hit too, time for me to do more and be more of a rover"

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
60.7% D-zone starts this season (58%; 64% 55.7% the previous three years). This player's deployment heavily tilts to hard goal suppression situations and maintains a double figure goals, 30 point production, career 22:33 avg toi with high PK minutes and close-out play. Prone to bad brainfarts but this guy gets overplayed with heavily weighted d-zone starts and critical situational play. Not absolving his poor decision making.

Top PK minutes tonight and hard 21:26 TOI. Fight. Points in two games. Get Nurse a quality 2RD partner and let's see this team go.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad