Dark Horse Candidates

TJBennettt37

Aug 3, 2024
Who does everyone think is a dark horse candidate to make the team this year?

I really like Kuntar, but I have also heard a lot of good things about Duran.

The obvious are Lysell and Merkulov

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I think Jeffrey Viel makes the team. The last couple of years the Bruins have nailed late bloomers and I think it continues. Greer surprised a few years ago, Wotherspoon this year and you can even add Brazeau to the list.

Viel's numbers in the AHL are insane for an enforcer and he's coming off his best season yet with 40 pts in 69 games.

It's not uncommon for players like Viel to take a longer path to the NHL either.

I know this is an absolute stretch, but I think he's Shawn Thornton 2.0

Thornton had his best AHL season with 32 pts in 59 games at the exact same age as Viel and then the rest was history

Last edited:

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
I think Jeffrey Viel makes the team. The last couple of years the Bruins have nailed late bloomers and I think it continues. Greer surprised a few years ago, Wotherspoon this year and you can even add Brazeau to the list.

Viel's numbers in the AHL are insane for an enforcer and he's coming off his best season yet with 40 pts in 69 games.

It's not uncommon for players like Viel to take a longer path to the NHL either.

I know this is an absolute stretch, but I think he's Shawn Thornton 2.0

Thornton had his best AHL season with 32 pts in 59 games at the exact same age as Viel and then the rest was history
He's my pick.

Reactions: CellyHard

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Viel is more of a punching bag then an enforcer
I completely disagree. Viel is a tough dude. He can throw with both hands and holds his own against just about anyone.

The only thing holding him back is he's actually kind of light for an "enforcer" so maybe thats not the right word.

So I guess if Reavo or MacDermid is what you consider an enforcer then maybe he's whatever category is below that but definitely above someone like Liam O'Brien who is a certified punching bag.

But I'm also trying to make the point that he can play and could likely contribute more than just fighting in a 4th line role.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
I completely disagree. Viel is a tough dude. He can throw with both hands and holds his own against just about anyone.

The only thing holding him back is he's actually kind of light for an "enforcer" so maybe thats not the right word.

So I guess if Reavo or MacDermid is what you consider an enforcer then maybe he's whatever category is below that but definitely above someone like Liam O'Brien who is a certified punching bag.

But I'm also trying to make the point that he can play and could likely contribute more than just fighting in a 4th line role.
From the handful of fight videos I’ve seen from him, he seems to weather the storm initially and lands a couple shots after his opponent tires out. Seems to usually secure the takedown. Does get hit quite a bit though.

Reactions: CellyHard

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
From the handful of fight videos I’ve seen from him, he seems to weather the storm initially and lands a couple shots after his opponent tires out. Seems to usually secure the takedown. Does get hit quite a bit though.
He's definitely the type of fighter who takes a shot to give a shot but he has good form.

When I hear the term punching bag, I think of someone who is willing to go but doesn't have much technique and often gets wrecked.

Viel has tuned some guys up over the years. He bloodied Sam Carrick but then ate some in their next bout. He's going to have his moments either way.

People forget Rempe had the hockey world buzzing in the second half of the year. Other teams have been adding and the Atlantic has gotten a lot tougher

Rangers - Rempe and Carrick
Canadiens - Pezzetta and Xhekaj
Devils - MacDermid and Dillon
Flyers - Deslauriers, Seeler, Hathaway
Capitals - Wilson and Duhaime
Leafs - Reavo and Dewar
Panthers....

The last thing we need is teams taking liberties against our prospects as they acclimate to the big leagues. Zadorov and Frederic are tough in their own ways but they are kind of too important to be messing with these guys. They could be the two most talented of this bunch.

Need Kastelic and Viel for this mess of guys. Fighting has been going up and I think it's only going to continue. Glad the B's made it a priority.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
He's definitely the type of fighter who takes a shot to give a shot but he has good form.

When I hear the term punching bag, I think of someone who is willing to go but doesn't have much technique and often gets wrecked.

Viel has tuned some guys up over the years. He bloodied Sam Carrick but then ate some in their next bout. He's going to have his moments either way.

People forget Rempe had the hockey world buzzing in the second half of the year. Other teams have been adding and the Atlantic has gotten a lot tougher

Rangers - Rempe and Carrick
Canadiens - Pezzetta and Xhekaj
Devils - MacDermid and Dillon
Flyers - Deslauriers, Seeler, Hathaway
Capitals - Wilson and Duhaime
Leafs - Reavo and Dewar
Panthers....

The last thing we need is teams taking liberties against our prospects as they acclimate to the big leagues. Zadorov and Frederic are tough in their own ways but they are kind of too important to be messing with these guys. They could be the two most talented of this bunch.

Need Kastelic and Viel for this mess of guys. Fighting has been going up and I think it's only going to continue. Glad the B's made it a priority.
You’re suggesting they need to keep Viel. Who are you cutting? Brazeau, Max Jones, or Beecher?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad