Dark Horse Candidates

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Jeffrey Viel won't be on the roster this year... or probably ever. (Unless there's injury of some magnitude)

I would have liked them to look into Olivier but that ship has probably sailed.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I'm thinking they have Pasta, Geekie, Brazeau and Kastelic on the right side.

As far as I know Lysell only plays the right wing.

Who is he beating out?

Much as I liked what I saw from Brazeau last season, I don't quite understand the hype. He's a serviceable bottom 6 guy for sure, but I'm yet to be convinced he's more than that. Geekie is more established but again while he can play top 6 his natural home is the 3rd line. Whereas Lysell projects as a high-skill top 6 forward. Can he make good on that potential? Unclear. Might he have to start NHL life at 3RW? Maybe. But to me if he's good enough and can make it stick he beats out Brazeau and Kastelic and maybe Geekie too.

I haven't been able to watch Fabian regularly so I may have this wrong but my understanding is he's the kind of guy who's either going to make it work playing up-tempo offensive hockey with other quality players or not at all. In that sense he's in a different conversation to the other RWs apart, partially, from Geekie. There's a spot on offer in the top 6 and if he shows the goods he can earn it. There would be growing pains for sure but the hope would be that it pays off in the long run. Whereas anyone else who gets it is either going to be a stopgap pending a trade or a center temporarily playing wing.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I will be shocked if the 4th liners will be healthy ( and good ) enough to suit for all 82 games. I can see Jones, Beecher, Kastelic, Viel, Tufte and Brazeau playing anywhere from 5 games to 60 games each, especially if they play at the pace and style the team seemingly wants them to play at. They're all going to see game time action.

Reactions: CellyHard

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Marc McLaughlin

Honest question, why do people keep saying McLaughlin? Just 14 points in 68 games for Providence last season, and a -7 on top of that, hasn't had a proper look with the Big Bs in over 2 years. His trajectory seems to have stagnated or even regressed. Is there something encouraging about his play that's not apparent in the numbers, or is it that he simply meets the true definition of a 'dark horse' in being a genuine but not impossible long shot?

Not trying to disparage the guy, seems like a really nice kid, just curious.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I will be shocked if the 4th liners will be healthy ( and good ) enough to suit for all 82 games. I can see Jones, Beecher, Kastelic, Viel, Tufte and Brazeau playing anywhere from 5 games to 60 games each, especially if they play at the pace and style the team seemingly wants them to play at. They're all going to see game time action.
This is the correct answer here. I would also even add Lettieri as well.

I also think with (hopefully) adding Poitras and Lysell to the middle six, they won't play all 82 even if they stay healthy for the whole year.

Ideally they play so well that they don't give you a choice but realistically I see them getting some nights off on back to backs or against some heavy teams

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Honest question, why do people keep saying McLaughlin? Just 14 points in 68 games for Providence last season, and a -7 on top of that, hasn't had a proper look with the Big Bs in over 2 years. His trajectory seems to have stagnated or even regressed. Is there something encouraging about his play that's not apparent in the numbers, or is it that he simply meets the true definition of a 'dark horse' in being a genuine but not impossible long shot?

I personally don't see it with McLaughlin. Great kid but he doesn't have a stand alone skill that separates himself.

If you look at all the guys competing for the 4th line you notice they all have some combination of size, speed, toughness, FO% you name it.

Sometimes it takes that particular skill especially when the big league team is missing it to get the call-up

McLaughlin has....?

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

He’s a smart guy who is sound, played well up here before - is a mature player and could play multi positions and kill penalties

He’s a 4th liner

That’s what they would need

I read the question who can play here on the team not who’s the best prospect to call up

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY

My guess is because he's from Massachusetts.

Reactions: ChargersRookie

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Do y'all think Sweeney will try to send Bussi through waivers at the end of camp or is it more likely the Bs keep 3 goalies rostered to start the season at the least?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
My guess is because he's from Massachusetts.
I don't think anyone really cares about that, I think it has more to do with his first appearances with the organization when he had 3 goals in 11 games. 4 goals in 15 career games which isn't all that different from Brazeau's 5 goals in 19 career games. He's also a year and a half younger than Brazeau.

But I think the difference is that Brazeau has a much more proven track record in the AHL than McLaughlin AND while Brazeau's NHL shooting % is higher than it likely will remain, it isn't crazy high. McLaughlin's is like 25% and that's just not a long term thing.

I thought McLaughlin had an inside track on a roster spot the last couple years but nothing he's done in Providence suggests he's anything more than a up and down call up.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Much as I liked what I saw from Brazeau last season, I don't quite understand the hype. He's a serviceable bottom 6 guy for sure, but I'm yet to be convinced he's more than that. Geekie is more established but again while he can play top 6 his natural home is the 3rd line. Whereas Lysell projects as a high-skill top 6 forward. Can he make good on that potential? Unclear. Might he have to start NHL life at 3RW? Maybe. But to me if he's good enough and can make it stick he beats out Brazeau and Kastelic and maybe Geekie too.

I haven't been able to watch Fabian regularly so I may have this wrong but my understanding is he's the kind of guy who's either going to make it work playing up-tempo offensive hockey with other quality players or not at all. In that sense he's in a different conversation to the other RWs apart, partially, from Geekie. There's a spot on offer in the top 6 and if he shows the goods he can earn it. There would be growing pains for sure but the hope would be that it pays off in the long run. Whereas anyone else who gets it is either going to be a stopgap pending a trade or a center temporarily playing wing.

Understood.

I'm pretty high on Brazeau off of what I saw last season. Certainly have to question why it's taken him so long to reach the NHL. I would be very disappointed if he couldn't stick in this lineup.

Kastelic appears to be just what the Bruins were looking for on the right side of the 4th line.

Geekie seems a better fit at wing than at center.

If everyone is healthy and Lysell has a great pre-season, B's are going to have a tough call to make.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Brazeau is more important to the organization but I have him here

Faranaci I’m a fan of and I think he’s up and could be a steal / legit bottom 6 C who has skill as early as January

But I don’t see him making it early on

Guys who excite me
Duran
Farinacci
Kuntar

But my feeling is those bananas aren’t yellow enough

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Do y'all think Sweeney will try to send Bussi through waivers at the end of camp or is it more likely the Bs keep 3 goalies rostered to start the season at the least?
no one can objectively say that at the present time.... it depends on the camp and who is the tandem they want in Providence for Mougenel to develop.... one of those will likely also have to be assigned to Portland as per the affiliation contract.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

Same. I don't understand it at all... He's not very good. There's like 900 MM's in the AHL.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I don't think anyone really cares about that, I think it has more to do with his first appearances with the organization when he had 3 goals in 11 games. 4 goals in 15 career games which isn't all that different from Brazeau's 5 goals in 19 career games. He's also a year and a half younger than Brazeau.

But I think the difference is that Brazeau has a much more proven track record in the AHL than McLaughlin AND while Brazeau's NHL shooting % is higher than it likely will remain, it isn't crazy high. McLaughlin's is like 25% and that's just not a long term thing.

I thought McLaughlin had an inside track on a roster spot the last couple years but nothing he's done in Providence suggests he's anything more than a up and down call up.
Sounds like a guy who could use a change of scenery and new organization.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad