Prospect Info: Danila Yurov RW/C, 24th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah, the Wild should want him on his ELC. Again, I’m just highly doubtful they would want to go the loan option with him. I just don’t see them wanting to send him on loan to the KHL to a team who no longer has any hope of long term control of him or reason to be invested in his development. Especially with the MOU technically on pause between the two leagues, and situations like the Fedotov thing.

Okay that makes sense. I don't think MMG would do anything to derail his development even in this case, because it's not beneficial to them to do so, but I get it now.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Okay that makes sense. I don't think MMG would do anything to derail his development even in this case, because it's not beneficial to them to do so, but I get it now.
There are plenty of players in the KHL on loan from the NHL this season and I don't see anyone of those being mistreated in any way.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
There are plenty of players in the KHL on loan from the NHL this season and I don't see anyone of those being mistreated in any way.

Right, it would take an incredibly vindictive and petty organization to mistreat one of their top players just because he left and then came back on a loan. It just doesn't make sense. Even if he wasn't on loan they know he'd likely only be back for one year at most, the loan part wouldn't be any difference for them.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Now we have to hope one of Ohgren or Marat or Bankier can elevate themselves to the NHL in ‘24-25 if we want some new blood.

You’d think for all the acclaim he gets, at least one or two of Brackett’s picks would’ve proven ready for the show by this point.

As for Yurov, this seems like the right move. He has another year to round out his game in a comfortable environment. He’s a potential game-changer so I am not opposed to going with the conservative route

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You’d think for all the acclaim he gets, at least one or two of Brackett’s picks would’ve proven ready for the show by this point.

Other than Rossi?

I get the sentiment but Khusnutdinov extended in Russia and looks to be coming over at the end of the season, O'Rourke and Hunt were 2nd and 3rd round defenseman, and Hunt does look ready for a bottom pair role, if not for the pile of garbage on NHL contracts in front of him.

Wallstedt is a goalie, they take a while to develop. Lambos is still just in his first year of AHL eligiblity, shouldn't really be that surprising or offensive that he isn't in the NHL yet, most 20-21 year old defensemen aren't. Bankier is similar, first year of AHL eligibility, and he was a third round pick, shouldn't be entirely surprising or offensive that he's not an NHL player yet.

After that it's guys in their D+2 years, and we're picking in the 20s for most of these draft picks, those guys usually don't make an impact within 2-3 years.

The only guys I can see that you'd like to have made the NHL by now based on draft year, round, league drafted out of, etc, are Rossi and O'Rourke, and one of them is an NHL player. I'll start getting disappointed next year if guys like Khusnutdinov and Hunt (third pro season) still can't make the team, though with Chisholm claimed off waivers and Merrill still under contract, Hunt still has an uphill battle due to roster spots/contract statuses.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Now we have to hope one of Ohgren or Marat or Bankier can elevate themselves to the NHL in ‘24-25 if we want some new blood.

As for Yurov, this seems like the right move. He has another year to round out his game in a comfortable environment. He’s a potential game-changer so I am not opposed to going with the conservative route
Frankly, I'm ok with all of Ohgren, Khusnutdinov, and Bankier developing another year outside the NHL. None of them have really blown their leagues apart this season, and the Wild being a lowly ranked team one extra year would be a good thing in the long-term, in my opinion. They're not far from being a good team, so I think they could turn it around quick. Imagine all of Ohgren, Khusnutdinov, Bankier, and Yurov coming into the league within a year of each other, combined with the dead cap coming off and the Wild being able to go big-game hunting.

Projected '25-26 forward roster if those guys pan out (or if other prospects do, in place of them):
Kaprizov - JEE - Yurov
Boldy - Rossi - Ohgren
Foligno - Hartman - Zuccarello
Dewar? - Gaudreau - Khusnutdinov
Bankier (callup?)

Brodin - Faber
??? - ???
??? - ???
???

Gustavsson
Wallstedt?

This roster assumes no trades, letting our UFA's go, and the re-signing of relevant RFA's, namely Dewar, Faber, and Rossi. Their projected cap space that year is $54,408,334 (per capfriendly), before re-signing the RFA's. I have to assume Faber and Rossi are going to come in around $15 million combined, and Dewar around $1.5 million (if he's even re-signed). That leaves them $37.9 million to fill in the question marks. If we assume the 7th defenseman is getting league minimum, and the 5th and 6th are getting $2 million each, they have about $33 million available for 2 players. It's going to take planning years ahead, so they should start brainstorming right now about how to buy a 1st pairing, because that's the kind of money they're going to have available. If they can pick up a bluechip prospect or two... that roster might be something, even with the aging vets.

*edit* I didn't add in the new forward's contracts, so actually it's more like $27-30 million, depending on bonuses hit. Still a ton of cap.

Last edited:

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Unless Bankier does a "Rossi" over the summer, it will be beneficial for him to get a full year in the AHL. He has filling out to do and plenty to work on.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Unless Bankier does a "Rossi" over the summer, it will be beneficial for him to get a full year in the AHL. He has filling out to do and plenty to work on.

Truthfully I think everyone could benefit from more seasoning. Especially the guys in Iowa right now. My ideal scenario (other than one of the prospects blowing our socks off in the NHL next season) is such that:

1) Chisholm excels beyond our wildest imaginations when he finally does draw in this year
2) Allows us to trade Middleton at the deadline (Chisholm slides into his spot)(alternatively Chisholm could gain value and get traded this summer)
3) Hunt and Chisholm/Middleton fight for second pair minutes, Merrill is 7th D
4) Hunt full time in Minnesota alleviates the LD pressure in Iowa
5) Lambos, O'Rourke, Spacek, Masters, Ohgren, Bankier, Haight, Milne, Petrovsky, Novak and maybe Khusnutdinov (far outside chance of Heidt and Kumpulainen too) get their licks in in Iowa, hopefully be a somewhat decent young team, let the cream rise to the top

And even if Hunt ends up in the AHL, no harm done really, he can still improve, he'll still just be 22 (also somewhat losing faith in O'Rourke's development mattering).

I'm excited to see Khusnutdinov this spring, so hopefully he can get out of his contract early, but my expectations for him are that he'll need a year in Iowa next season. The KHL website lists him as 5'9.5 and 175lbs, so he'll need to bulk and adjust to the NA game, I'd assume. Plus, wouldn't hurt to get him in more offensive situations before joining the team. Wouldn't want to pigeonhole him as a shutdown line guy if we don't have to.

Reactions: Jbcraig1883

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Truthfully I think everyone could benefit from more seasoning. Especially the guys in Iowa right now. My ideal scenario (other than one of the prospects blowing our socks off in the NHL next season) is such that:

1) Chisholm excels beyond our wildest imaginations when he finally does draw in this year
2) Allows us to trade Middleton at the deadline (Chisholm slides into his spot)(alternatively Chisholm could gain value and get traded this summer)
3) Hunt and Chisholm/Middleton fight for second pair minutes, Merrill is 7th D
4) Hunt full time in Minnesota alleviates the LD pressure in Iowa
5) Lambos, O'Rourke, Spacek, Masters, Ohgren, Bankier, Haight, Milne, Petrovsky, Novak and maybe Khusnutdinov (far outside chance of Heidt and Kumpulainen too) get their licks in in Iowa, hopefully be a somewhat decent young team, let the cream rise to the top

And even if Hunt ends up in the AHL, no harm done really, he can still improve, he'll still just be 22 (also somewhat losing faith in O'Rourke's development mattering).

I'm excited to see Khusnutdinov this spring, so hopefully he can get out of his contract early, but my expectations for him are that he'll need a year in Iowa next season. The KHL website lists him as 5'9.5 and 175lbs, so he'll need to bulk and adjust to the NA game, I'd assume. Plus, wouldn't hurt to get him in more offensive situations before joining the team. Wouldn't want to pigeonhole him as a shutdown line guy if we don't have to.
I am completely on board with this. I have always been fine with guys playing in the AHL a few years and with the Parise/Suter buyouts still on the cap next year, no point to put a few of them on bottom lines/scratched half the time.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I’ll be the dissenting voice and voice my piss offedness with Yurov not coming over next year. I think he should be ready, and it’s not like any other of our forward prospects have shown they are better.

I’m tired of the old farts and mediocrities like Lettieri and Luchinni.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I’m tired of the old farts and mediocrities like Lettieri and Luchinni.

This seems to be Guerin and his coaches style, I don't think Yurov coming over changes this part. It's very likely a coach like Hynes wouldn't play Yurov in the top six anyway.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
This seems to be Guerin and his coaches style, I don't think Yurov coming over changes this part. It's very likely a coach like Hynes wouldn't play Yurov in the top six anyway.
Then they should both be fired into the sun. The only metric they can be judged by effectively is wins and they suck….bad

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
OK, I've seen enough. There is no way that Yurov shouldn't be over here next year and playing on the NHL team, for the most part. His play this year has convinced me. He is scoring at a .8 P/pg clip against men in a vg league, has the skating, skill, and size(which will only be more effective as he fills out). I'm all for a meritocracy, where players have to earn a chance to play on the NHL team, but hasn't he done that this year, albeit outside of the MN organization?

I would get it if his contract would be onerous (it won't), or if he didn't fill a need(he does...we need skilled forwards like we need to breathe). You can't tell me that he wouldn't come over of BG told him that he would be playing on the NHL team, and making 900+ USD.

I suspect that BG has gone old school on him and told him he'll have to start in the AHL and earn a NHL spot like everyone else. Normally, i'd agree with that, but hasn't he done that with his consistent, excellent play in the KHL this year?

Maybe I've got it all wrong and Yurov really wants to stay in Russia for another year at 1/3rd the salary. Makes no sense to me, but if that is the case then no fault to BG, though I would have to start questioning his ability to relate to young prospects and players, if that is the case. He seems to get buddy buddy with the MAF's and Foligno's of the world, but maybe he can't connect/inspire/attract the younger ones?

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I suspect that BG has gone old school on him and told him he'll have to start in the AHL and earn a NHL spot like everyone else. Normally, i'd agree with that, but hasn't he done that with his consistent, excellent play in the KHL this year?
That’s definitely possible, but I think it’s more likely he wants a year to learn English and another year to hone his skills. I imagine avoiding Iowa is part of his thought process, but you have to think the FO & even Kaprizov have made it clear to him that this team is dying for skill players. He’s also only had the one year as a regular in the KHL. Last year he barely was a factor at all .

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Not really sure what to make of his season in terms of NHL projection. KHL is a weird league and obviously guys are developing at different rates and getting different opportunities.

This is Yurov's D+2 season, he's at 48 points in 60 games. Kaprizov's D+2 season he scored 42 points in 49 games. Tarasenko's was 47 points in 54 games of course. Kuznetsov had 41 points in 49 games.

Then consider Kaprizov and Tarasenko had a better +1 season than Yurov did, but Yurov wasn't getting any playing time either. Tarasenko also went on to eclipse 1PPG in his +3 season, while Kaprizov didn't do it until his +5 season, his last in the KHL.

So next year, will Yurov maintain this similar scoring rate like Kaprizov did for a few more years? Will he increase it and come straight to the NHL after like Tarasenko did? Will he end up regressing (scoring-wise) for some reason like Khusnutdinov did?

If I have a point here it's that I still have no clue exactly how he projects as an NHL player, but it's great that he's succeeding (as opposed to failing), and next year will be fun/interesting again.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
That’s definitely possible, but I think it’s more likely he wants a year to learn English and another year to hone his skills. I imagine avoiding Iowa is part of his thought process, but you have to think the FO & even Kaprizov have made it clear to him that this team is dying for skill players. He’s also only had the one year as a regular in the KHL. Last year he barely was a factor at all .
Kap, yes, but I can also see BG going gruff, been there, done it, to Yurov, and scaring him off. Sometimes young guys need an ass kicking, but usually they need to be inspired and encouraged more than anything. Don't know if he is the man to do it, and also would be curious to know what, if any, connections the team has in Russia.

I do think that he is a different case than Marat. As someone else on here has pointed out, Yurov is the main point producer on his team, while Marat was 6th in scoring on his loaded team last year. Marat is also not growing any more, while Yurov is still filling out, and has a significantly higher upside.

I just don't see a young, ambitious player turning down a chance to play in the NHL, where he can make more money and play with a star from his own country, unless he has either been discouraged from doing so by someone in the NHL organization, or there is something of a personal nature holding him back(gf, sick family member, etc.).

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I mean the need for skilled player is on Guerin. He's brought in Maroon and signed Hartman, Gaudreau, Johansson and Foligno to extensions.

Both McBain and Nesterenko left the organization because they didn't think they had a chance here.

Reactions: BagHead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad