Prospect Info: Daniil Karpovich (#186 - 6th Round - 2023 Draft)

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Seems like a question for @Guadana .
He has no decision yet. He trusts his agent and everything will be clear after training camp. He has option to play in AHL, in VHL and KHL. Decision isn't done, agent is talking with New Jersey, they will decide what is better for him.
He is very happy to be in the camp its a big step closer for him to make a dream come truth. He us learning English with teacher, reading books and watching films on English. He is studying in university, as I understand on the distance courses.
I would say ECHL to start
I dint think its an option for him, he has better options to play and develop.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
we have a verdict. back with avto on a one year deal. i remember him expressing concern over his ability to get KHL opportunity last season (which contributed to his move), so i have to wonder if theres some sort of agreement on that front now

Seems like the best option, he can play there for another year and then sign in NJ. Although I am becoming concerned with how full the blueline is - they really need to stop drafting defensemen altogether.
With Misyul, Hattaka, Vilen Utica absolutely dont need in another left defenseman next season. So Karpovich is taking next step in his development. He wasnt very productive in bel league but he very was productive enough for his age for this league, played enough of minutes and faced good competition(still much better than average junior league). Next season part in VHL part in KHL is reasonable for him. If we would have some open spots in Utica, I believe he would sign his deal already, but we dont need to and we dont have to.

Cant wait to see him personally as soon as I can.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
With Misyul, Hattaka, Vilen Utica absolutely dont need in another left defenseman next season. So Karpovich is taking next step in his development. He wasnt very productive in bel league but he very was productive enough for his age for this league, played enough of minutes and faced good competition(still much better than average junior league). Next season part in VHL part in KHL is reasonable for him. If we would have some open spots in Utica, I believe he would sign his deal already, but we dont need to and we dont have to.

Cant wait to see him personally as soon as I can.
I'm super excited about Karpovich. He's big (up to 6'3-210, apparently), athletic and physical. He can defend really well, and although he'll never be a big-time point producer his huge shot should result in generating a fair amount of offense. He'll be fun to track as he develops over the next few years.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I'm super excited about Karpovich. He's big (up to 6'3-210, apparently), athletic and physical. He can defend really well, and although he'll never be a big-time point producer his huge shot should result in generating a fair amount of offense. He'll be fun to track as he develops over the next few years.
Tricky. He is good in transition, he is good skater, he is competent with the puck. So I’m not ready to say that he doesn’t have offensive generation potential.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Tricky. He is good in transition, he is good skater, he is competent with the puck. So I’m not ready to say that he doesn’t have offensive generation potential.
Well, of course as a guy who had Karpovich ranked as a late 1st/early 2nd worthy pick, I agree with you. I think Karpovich can certainly peak as a 40+ point NHL defender. What I meant to say is I don't think he has offensive ability which I would describe as "high-end" like a Luke Hughes or Nemec or even Casey.

However, the reason I had him ranked so high -- and I still think he'll top out as the best player NJ drafted in 2023 -- is because I think he can become a physical, shut-down beast at the highest levels. I admit I had trouble tracking him last year in Belarus (you sent me links to his games, and thanks a ton but I haven't had time to watch too much yet) -- but I remain incredibly impressed by his play with Yekaterinburg in the MHL, which was only one year ago.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Well, of course as a guy who had Karpovich ranked as a late 1st/early 2nd worthy pick, I agree with you. I think Karpovich can certainly peak as a 40+ point NHL defender. What I meant to say is I don't think he has offensive ability which I would describe as "high-end" like a Luke Hughes or Nemec or even Casey.

However, the reason I had him ranked so high -- and I still think he'll top out as the best player NJ drafted in 2023 -- is because I think he can become a physical, shut-down beast at the highest levels. I admit I had trouble tracking him last year in Belarus (you sent me links to his games, and thanks a ton but I haven't had time to watch too much yet) -- but I remain incredibly impressed by his play with Yekaterinburg in the MHL, which was only one year ago.
Oh. You are on the much more optimistic side. I thought about 25-35 at his pick points defenseman)

It’s okay, I watched only three or so games of him. I don’t know where are you taking so much time to track different players from different leagues. I’m starting with the person, than I’m trying to find games where I can watched a couple of players and even better to find shift by shift videos. You are working and writing books in the same time, I really don’t know how are you doing it.

I’m waiting the day when he will visiting St. Petersburg with his team to watch him live.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

What an insane outcome that would be for NJ. In a few years having Silayev and Karpovich hit their potential with Luke? Wow what a left side.

Oh. You are on the much more optimistic side. I thought about 25-35 at his pick points defenseman)

It’s okay, I watched only three or so games of him. I don’t know where are you taking so much time to track different players from different leagues. I’m starting with the person, than I’m trying to find games where I can watched a couple of players and even better to find shift by shift videos. You are working and writing books in the same time, I really don’t know how are you doing it.

I’m waiting the day when he will visiting St. Petersburg with his team to watch him live.
Well to be fair most of @StevenToddIves books have only a few words on a page.

See Dano.

See Dano skate.

Skate Dano skate.

See Dano.

See Dano punch.

Punch Dano punch.

Dano plays hockey.

And that’s one of Steve’s more developed characters and plot lines.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
What an insane outcome that would be for NJ. In a few years having Silayev and Karpovich hit their potential with Luke? Wow what a left side.
I still think Devils have really intriguing player in Orlov. We don’t know is he willing to hit his potential, but if you can imagine Marino with better shot - it’s him. Of course if everything will go in the right direction. But his skating and puck handling is there. He is defending very well on the move.

You can check KHL stats and game amount. He was 19-20yo, Elite Prospects - KHL Stats 2023-2024
It’s stats for U23 players. You can check u21 stats and you can be impressed by how many players are performing better at his age. He is very good and even in minor role he has some serious experience. Most young defensemen don’t have it at his age.
He is a two way defenseman who can generate offense. He needs to polish his game but it’s okay for young defenseman who is trying to join the rush or driving offense.

It’s impressing how well our scouts worked on defense. I like them both and Vilen is very good at his stage of career.

See Dano.

See Dano skate.

Skate Dano skate.

See Dano.

See Dano punch.

Punch Dano punch.

Dano plays hockey.

it’s a @NjDevsRR book.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

See Dano.

See Dano skate.

Skate Dano skate.

See Dano.

See Dano punch.

Punch Dano punch.

Dano plays hockey.

You forgot "oh my" at the end of that.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

See Dano.

See Dano skate.

Skate Dano skate.

See Dano.

See Dano punch.

Punch Dano punch.

Dano plays hockey.

Still a better love story than Twilight.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Good - hopefully he gets some callups to KHL.
Doesnt't sound much different than playing in the AHL and getting an NHL call-up. Just like Casey, Misyul, Vilen, DeSimone/Hatakka.

Everyone on this site keeps saying the Comets have no more room for D-men. That's absolutely false.
Currently signed:
Misyul
Vilen
Casey
Diotte
White
Hatakka/DeSimone
If NJ keeps 8 D-men one of these last 2 goes on the NJ roster. If they only keep 7, both will have to squeeze through waivers. If called up, they would have to clear again if/when sent back down and that would be a tougher squeeze than at the end of training camp when every team is doing the same in order to meet the maximum roster number.

Russo and Wotherspoon have gone to greener pastures. Those listed above are it and Diotte hasn't shown he deserves a top six slot right from the get go.

Anyone under the impression that van de Leest is a Comet are likely mistaken. He can't skate at this level and is little more than an emergency call-up.

Will MacKinnon was the best fill-in they brought in last season, but there are better D-men available at this level than him. Nepotism should not have an influence when deciding who actually PLAYS here. It would be very interesting to make a comparison if both are at the Devils camp. That of course would be determined by what Karpovich does between now and then in relation to a contract in Russia. If he signs there, this issue is moot.

Micahael Vukojevic was not tendered a QO and is a UFA. I think the Devils are cutting ties with him. He was never a regular in the Comets' top 6. MacKinnon played ahead of him

The Comets will need to have at least 8 D on their active roster.

Reactions: My3Sons and Nubmer6

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Doesnt't sound much different than playing in the AHL and getting an NHL call-up. Just like Casey, Misyul, Vilen, DeSimone/Hatakka.

Everyone on this site keeps saying the Comets have no more room for D-men. That's absolutely false.
Currently signed:
Misyul
Vilen
Casey
Diotte
White
Hatakka/DeSimone
If NJ keeps 8 D-men one of these last 2 goes on the NJ roster. If they only keep 7, both will have to squeeze through waivers. If called up, they would have to clear again if/when sent back down and that would be a tougher squeeze than at the end of training camp when every team is doing the same in order to meet the maximum roster number.

Russo and Wotherspoon have gone to greener pastures. Those listed above are it and Diotte hasn't shown he deserves a top six slot right from the get go.

Anyone under the impression that van de Leest is a Comet are likely mistaken. He can't skate at this level and is little more than an emergency call-up.

Will MacKinnon was the best fill-in they brought in last season, but there are better D-men available at this level than him. Nepotism should not have an influence when deciding who actually PLAYS here. It would be very interesting to make a comparison if both are at the Devils camp. That of course would be determined by what Karpovich does between now and then in relation to a contract in Russia. If he signs there, this issue is moot.

Micahael Vukojevic was not tendered a QO and is a UFA. I think the Devils are cutting ties with him. He was never a regular in the Comets' top 6. MacKinnon played ahead of him

it’s better for him to stay. He would not be called up because of Hattaka, Misyul and Vilen ahead of him in the line. He could be even on the bench in some situations. Most likely he will play major role in VHL or even will play 6-10 min role of 7D in KHL.

When we are talking about prospects - most likeLy it’s way much more important what is better for prospect - not for the farm club.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Currently signed:
Misyul
Vilen
Casey
Diotte
White
Hatakka/DeSimone

This is not the thread for this discussion at all, but I think the Devils are very unlikely to sign any more D to NHL contracts, and they are likely to roll with the guys they have in Utica. Karpovich has already signed in Russia and will not be coming to the AHL this year.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
it’s better for him to stay. He would not be called up because of Hattaka, Misyul and Vilen ahead of him in the line. He could be even on the bench in some situations. Most likely he will play major role in VHL or even will play 6-10 min role of 7D in KHL.

When we are talking about prospects - most likeLy it’s way much more important what is better for prospect - not for the farm club.
"When we are talking about prospects - most likeLy it’s way much more important what is better for prospect - not for the farm club."

Is this meant to imply I don't understand that? I am well aware of the purpose of the farm as a development stage for prospects, high potential (Nemec) or a shot in the dark (Stillman).

I was only stating for him the AHL is likely a better league than the VHL. If he is as good as the clippings say he is, he would get ample time in Utica. Hatakka can play both sides with little difference in his game. Vilen can also play both sides. Diotte has shown zip thus far (undrafted shot in the dark). Again if the kid is as good as I keep reading (high potential), he would play in Utica, not sit and watch from the well.

I am not hoping he plays here. The D-corps looks good without him. I am considering his development like you and think it won't be hindered in EITHER location. Will he make the Comets better? Maybe yes. Maybe no. However, that has no influence on my thoughts on this issue either way.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
"When we are talking about prospects - most likeLy it’s way much more important what is better for prospect - not for the farm club."

Is this meant to imply I don't understand that? I am well aware of the purpose of the farm as a development stage for prospects, high potential (Nemec) or a shot in the dark (Stillman).

I was only stating for him the AHL is likely a better league than the VHL. If he is as good as the clippings say he is, he would get ample time in Utica. Hatakka can play both sides with little difference in his game. Vilen can also play both sides. Diotte has shown zip thus far (undrafted shot in the dark). Again if the kid is as good as I keep reading (high potential), he would play in Utica, not sit and watch from the well.

I am not hoping he plays here. The D-corps looks good without him. I am considering his development like you and think it won't be hindered in EITHER location. Will he make the Comets better? Maybe yes. Maybe no. However, that has no influence on my thoughts on this issue either way.
KHL is better league and now he is very close to KHL, he isn’t to NHL. And some kind of logjam is there in AHL.
And he was vocal many times he wants to play in nhl, he didn’t sign long term deal and he is very close to devils scouts and coaches and management. So I believe it’s consensus decision.
If there would be open 2nd pair spot in ahl, I would root for decision to send him to AHL instead of two way deal with Avtomobilist. But it’s not.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
This is not the thread for this discussion at all, but I think the Devils are very unlikely to sign any more D to NHL contracts, and they are likely to roll with the guys they have in Utica. Karpovich has already signed in Russia and will not be coming to the AHL this year.

That ends my thoughts on the issue.

The other issue is they don't have enough guys in Utica at the present time and the decent free agents have been snapped up like sales items. 6 signed, one of who they have no idea if he is even on a par with the now gone Vukojevic.

DeSimone is questionable to begin with. If the Devils keep 8 he is a Devil. Regardless of whether they go with 7 or 8, waivers become an issue. Utica has seen waivers go against the Devils as incoming players never got here, but were instead gobbled up by other franchises.

NHL 2-ways or AHL signings would be the means to what they need and they will need to do one or the other to fill out the roster here. It's early and some scrubs will be left to sign like every other season if they don't get lucky enough to come up with better sooner. If that was their aim, they might as well have reupped Russo since they didn't find a Veteran or Veteran Exempt center, forward, or D-man. They have an opening for 1 of each of those AHL Veteran status slots. I sincerely hope they at least fill the quota.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
That ends my thoughts on the issue.

The other issue is they don't have enough guys in Utica at the present time and the decent free agents have been snapped up like sales items. 6 signed, one of who they have no idea if he is even on a par with the now gone Vukojevic.

DeSimone is questionable to begin with. If the Devils keep 8 he is a Devil. Regardless of whether they go with 7 or 8, waivers become an issue. Utica has seen waivers go against the Devils as incoming players never got here, but were instead gobbled up by other franchises.

NHL 2-ways or AHL signings would be the means to what they need and they will need to do one or the other to fill out the roster here. It's early and some scrubs will be left to sign like every other season if they don't get lucky enough to come up with better sooner. If that was their aim, they might as well have reupped Russo since they didn't find a Veteran or Veteran Exempt center, forward, or D-man. They have an opening for 1 of each of those AHL Veteran status slots. I sincerely hope they at least fill the quota.

They are not going to get a decent free agent. Why would they? Why would anyone decent sign in Utica with that defense corps? You have Hatakka or DeSimone who spent time in the NHL, Colton White has 50 games experience, and Vilen, Casey, and Misyul are solid prospects. You're competing with Diotte for time. I'm sure other teams have better openings.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
KHL is better league and now he is very close to KHL, he isn’t to NHL. And some kind of logjam is there in AHL.
And he was vocal many times he wants to play in nhl, he didn’t sign long term deal and he is very close to devils scouts and coaches and management. So I believe it’s consensus decision.
If there would be open 2nd pair spot in ahl, I would root for decision to send him to AHL instead of two way deal with Avtomobilist. But it’s not.
This gives me the impresion of so many European players. They want to play in the NHL, but if the NHL slot is not ready to be handed to them, they stay home because the $$$ is better. Meanwhile the North American kids have no choice but to play in the AHL. Other NHL franchises want their European selections to play in the AHL when the parnet club feels they want them there. It is made clear to
the player very early on. Thus, the AHL is full of young European prospects drafted by NHL teams.

Utica currently has 2 more D-men playing here who could be making more $$$ in Russia or Finland. Their path toi the NHL doesn't look bright at the moment either looking at the Devils roster. Okhotyuk took his chances in the AHL and made it to the NHL, but has decided after his 2nd trade, this time to Calgary, to go back home and is signed with CSKA Moscow of the KHL for this coming season.

It look like the future for Devils prospect D-men in Utica will be as trade piecse to help the Devils. Where they go is more likely going to give them their path to the NHL. DeSimone and maybe Hatakka are first call-ups but not likely to ever end up in the Devils top 6. Wouldn't be surprised if Misyul passes them by. Silayev will be in that top 6 in a short span of 2-3 seasons.

So, do you see him in Utica next season? Or do you think he will stay in Russia if the NHL spot is still not there for him?

Does he wait until Siegenthatler and Dillon are gone before he comes over? Then he and Silayev make their appearnces together right into the NHL? Kinda like Gritsyuk has done. Now he's ready to come over because a spot is open for him to step into.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad