Daniel Sprong undresses Jared Tinordi and makes a sick deke to tie the game with 15.1 seconds left in regulation

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
I know Sprong has his flaws but I never quite understood why he never got any traction on any of his more recent teams, or at least got a multi-year deal. He's been getting constant 1 year, $900k or so deals despite putting up pretty good numbers.

There's a youtube video of this that breaks it down well.

Sprong has great offensive talent but that comes with a ton of controller disconnect moments when he doesn't have the puck on his stick.

This is a great play but I'm guessing he'll end up with 3rd/4th line minutes again where he can score goals but his defensive gaffes won't end up in the back of his net as often.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Either this or Tocchet benches him or sits him in the box and he gets the message. They'll probably do a ton of practices where he gets backs into his own and gets ordered not to take chances.
This worked with Miller even as the fans cried foul over his lack of production on his new contract.
This did not work with Kuzmenko.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I know Sprong has his flaws but I never quite understood why he never got any traction on any of his more recent teams, or at least got a multi-year deal. He's been getting constant 1 year, $900k or so deals despite putting up pretty good numbers.

I liked him when he was in Anaheim.

But, I remember Brian Hayward during one pregame interview saying that the coaching staff was hard on Sprong and wanted him to play defense. I also vaguely remember that he mentioned a bit of an attitude problem with him?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I wonder if Tocchet can get him to buy in. He's talked about meeting with him after every game to go over the defensive side of his gane. He lost patience with Kuzmenko who just never was able to commit to the defensive part of the game. Sprong has a real opportunity here to cash in on a longer term deal if he can put in the effort. Cautiously optimistic so far from what I’ve seen.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I liked him when he was in Anaheim.

But, I remember Brian Hayward during one pregame interview saying that the coaching staff was hard on Sprong and wanted him to play defense. I also vaguely remember that he mentioned a bit of an attitude problem with him?
Yup. There are reasons why a guy with this much skill (and decent size) who scores a lot of points is on a one year close to league minimum contract. He’s not trusted by coaches is one of them. And if he’s refusing to change how he plays (cheating for offence) then he will not get in Tocchet’s good books either.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Imagine. It's 2024 and an NHL exec is like, "I have an idea, let's improve the team by signing Jarred Tinordi".

A solid record of 10 years in this league playing like ass but always gets a job.

10 millions in career earnings because he's huge and has his father's last name.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Sprong has a real opportunity here to cash in on a longer term deal if he can put in the effort. Cautiously optimistic so far from what I’ve seen.
That’s been the case for a while now and it hasn’t happened. This is what his 6th NHL team in 7 seasons?

To be frank I think there is more to it than just the on-ice issues.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021

Hey, I know it's the preseason, but 4 D dropped the ball on this goal. It looked like a successful running play in football where they create a gap in the line - and he kind of did. Sprong faked out both the first D that was supposed to contain him and caused him and the others momentum to go the wrong way then Cooper to commit to a shot on the left leaving his right wide open.
Canucks C team were on easy mode and Tocchet told them to win this game in the last minute and they said ok, while JT miller was sipping his wine and talking to Boeser in the press box about the upcoming joker movie 🤣

He doesnt like to play defense like Kuzmenko but he will be really useful in PP and last minute when a team likes to score a goal.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Yup. There are reasons why a guy with this much skill (and decent size) who scores a lot of points is on a one year close to league minimum contract. He’s not trusted by coaches is one of them. And if he’s refusing to change how he plays (cheating for offence) then he will not get in Tocchet’s good books either.
I think these players will change by time. He will mature and play better defendively because he will be out of NHL if he doesnt

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Man can't you all just enjoy a nice goal??

Most highlight reel goals have some degree of bad defense, but I had not realized my beer league buddies had gotten a try-out. That was so bad you really can’t make anything of the goal, sorry. Like a matador passing the bull on the highway and saying “close enough”.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad