Daniel Sprong undresses Jared Tinordi and makes a sick deke to tie the game with 15.1 seconds left in regulation

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I know Sprong has his flaws but I never quite understood why he never got any traction on any of his more recent teams, or at least got a multi-year deal. He's been getting constant 1 year, $900k or so deals despite putting up pretty good numbers.
One of the worst players I’ve seen defensively when it comes to both effort and awareness.

But he’ll score in bunches and look amazing while doing it.

Then he’ll go cold, and he’s actually hurting the team when that happens.

Very strange player

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It was a very pretty goal, but he really only undressed Jared Tinordi which by the looks of things isn't all that hard to do.
My thoughts as well. I see a similar move in rec league every weak. Lazy by Tinordi, very pretty finish by Sprong.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Pretty sweet goal! There's a reason he puts up 40 points as a 4th liner - he's got mad offensive skill. People may think I'm trying to subtlety dunk on him, but I'm honestly not.; I like watching him, he makes the game more interesting than the typical defense-only 4th liner.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
From what I'm reading he's Kuzmenko part 2. Tocchet managed to turn around Miller but he could never get through to Kuz. Hopefully he can reach Sprong.
Sprong took a 50% cut on his paycheque as a UFA because no one wanted him for months. I have to think the fear of God will cause him to turn around. We'll see.
So far in this preseason the Canucks defense has been atrocious.
Larkin kind of rolled him and Walman under the bus at the beginning of camp as guys that didn’t play within the system.

I wish him well, he does have enormous offensive ability.

Reactions: LuckyDay

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Nice goal but It's amazing how much Calgary did wrong on that sequence. At first, I thought everyone on ice might have been gassed but PP time indicates they had fresh guys out there.

You simply can't let a guy wind up in full flight after having to field a bouncing puck while skating backwards and then pivoting back up ice. Looks like 79 on Calgary should have forechecked in neutral zone, but just peeled back there was no gap control on the rush.

And then Sprong gets deep on the goalie looks like he stick handles through the blue paint, should have been pokechecked.

Oh well, preseason warts from players who probably wont even be there when the games actually matter.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
No defenseman anywhere should do what Tinordi did.

Rest of the goal was nice, but that's just a bad play by him. People on this board could have dangled hos ass doing that

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I know Sprong has his flaws but I never quite understood why he never got any traction on any of his more recent teams, or at least got a multi-year deal. He's been getting constant 1 year, $900k or so deals despite putting up pretty good numbers.
Always skates downhill toward the offensive zone and always skates uphill toward his own zone especially after he makes a risky play and turns it over.

Definitely makes some exciting offensive plays though.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Better title “Spong dekes around one guy while three others watch”
Spring will score some goals but doesn't bring a ton else.

He is better than a AAAA type as he would destroy the AHL but he is never going to be. Serious top 6 type of guy.

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
Tinordi makes a bad defensive decision/play.

In other news, the sky is blue and water is wet.

Mogo

Jun 26, 2002

He's that bad defensively. Like the worst forward defensivly in NHL

amikaro

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2015
can't find the article :( i once read a great summary why he falls back on most other stats than offence. he's apparently very one dimensional and creates lot of space in the D zone.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Tank Commander Tinordi large and in charge
Pretty embarrassing for a vet like him even in preseason to not get a stick on a guy like that. Both feet turned the wrong way and just waves at him :laugh:

Sprong is such an odd player. Always seems to have one stretch that he looks and scores like a top 6 player. Then has another stretch where he looks and scores like he's barely replacement level. Kinda get the feeling Tocchet is going to hate him but if he can get off to a good start he might be one of the better $/point non ELC contracts in the league.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
It’s a nice goal, but all I can really see is absolutely peewee level defense. 4 guys lined up and essentially flat footed at their own blue line, just get absolutely blown past by a guy coming at them with speed. Shocking. There’s virtually no scenario, especially protecting a lead with ~20 seconds left, that any player should be able to create what amounts to a mini breakaway starting at the blueline. Why was Calgary’s entire team closer to leaving the zone than defending their net when they were up a goal with seconds to play?

Reactions: LuckyDay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad