Proposal: Dan Boyle anyone? | 6/18/14: Boyle won't sign with Isles; NYI shopping his rights

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AimForTopCheddar

trust the yzerplan
Feb 7, 2012
Calgary
Cool, so we're all set with RHD running the point pivot on the PP for Stamkos?

Are you saying that Dan Boyle, at this point in his career, can't do what Foster did for us? Boyle wouldn't be brought in as a #2/3. He'd be brought in to demonstrate to players like Barberio how to actually do their job. #6/7 PP. Just as Brewer was incorrectly used, Boyle was incorrectly used for their age and skills. We let Brewer drop down to 5/6 and he was perfect for us. The same can be done with Boyle. With Cooper's inclination to run 11/7, that could work out. If the term is short and the money is right, I'd love to have Boyle back.

A smart coach isn't going to build the PP around Stamkos, there is 5 players on a PP not one. Stamkos has evolved enough that he doesn't need a RHD feeding him for a one timer, as DFC Hedman and Callahan on the point looked great. Our PP would become real easy to shut down when we try to force it to run through Stamkos. Kostka also does a adequate job in that role any ways for less money.

We're going to pay Boyle $2-3M to be a #5-7? Great, just what we need. If we bring in Boyle, he'll be overused just like he is in SJS. Similar to what we had to do with Salo simply because Sustr and Gudas will have growing pains, if that is the case, I prefer we have someone who is actually capable of handling the top 4 role like Stralman or Fayne.

@Robert, I don't know what you were watching but I watched the whole SJS-LA series and he looked completely overwhelmed. It would not get any better here as we have a weaker d-corp than SJS and don't have much guys to give Boyle a sheltered role like SJS has in Vlasic, Demers, Braun, etc. He's small and soft in my opinion, SFY likes his defenseman big so I doubt he'll be interested.

I'm only okay with acquiring Boyle if we strike out with Stralman and Fayne.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
A smart coach isn't going to build the PP around Stamkos, there is 5 players on a PP not one. Stamkos has evolved enough that he doesn't need a RHD feeding him for a one timer, as DFC Hedman and Callahan on the point looked great. Our PP would become real easy to shut down when we try to force it to run through Stamkos. Kostka also does a adequate job in that role any ways for less money.

We're going to pay Boyle $2-3M to be a #5-7? Great, just what we need. If we bring in Boyle, he'll be overused just like he is in SJS. Similar to what we had to do with Salo simply because Sustr and Gudas will have growing pains, if that is the case, I prefer we have someone who is actually capable of handling the top 4 role like Stralman or Fayne.

@Robert, I don't know what you were watching but I watched the whole SJS-LA series and he looked completely overwhelmed. It would not get any better here as we have a weaker d-corp than SJS and don't have much guys to give Boyle a sheltered role like SJS has in Vlasic, Demers, Braun, etc. He's small and soft in my opinion, SFY likes his defenseman big so I doubt he'll be interested.

I'm only okay with acquiring Boyle if we strike out with Stralman and Fayne.

LA has made every team's guys look overwhelmed my friend besides the start first two games with san jose. LA is just that dammed good. Is not a slap at boyle. Is all about LA look at what they are doing to chicago who is better than San Jose defensively? How is that looking so far?

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
LA has made every team's guys look overwhelmed my friend besides the start first two games with san jose. LA is just that dammed good. Is not a slap at boyle. Is all about LA look at what they are doing to chicago who is better than San Jose defensively? How is that looking so far?

LA is like a damn buzzsaw man. They just wear you down with that size and speed. And even when you do get the puck in their zone you have a tough D corps to crack. And then you have Jonathan Quick in net. It will take 4 perfect games and puck luck in spades for any team to beat the Kings.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
https://twitter.com/TBTimes_JSmith
.@SunGarrioch reports #TBLightning "toying" with idea of acquiring Dan Boyle's rights before he's UFA. Agent tells me he'd be open to return
Boyle's agent, George Bazos, says defenseman plans to test market, but open to reunion with #TBLightning. "I know he loves it down there."
And there you go, the point is moot as the #Islanders acquired pending UFA Dan Boyle in exchange for a fifth-round pick in 2015.
https://twitter.com/erlendssonTBO
No guarantee Boyle signs with the Islanders, but NYI give up a 5th if he doesn't, 4th if he does; could still reach UFA market

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Well that explains why we were looking to trade.. Now Danny B knows we want him. Won't be surprised if he waits to hit open market.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Well that explains why we were looking to trade.. Now Danny B knows we want him. Won't be surprised if he waits to hit open market.

I cant see wang giving him enough to sign? I don't get why they did this with how cheap that owner is lol.

Zidlicky got four million for a year so you figure danny boy is worth same or a little more and figure hes looking for 2 years not one.

I figure 4.5 for two years is what Dan wants myself so 9 million total.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I cant see wang giving him enough to sign? I don't get why they did this with how cheap that owner is lol.

Zidlicky got four million for a year so you figure danny boy is worth same or a little more and figure hes looking for 2 years not one.

They lost Streit & MacDonald in the past year and Visnovsky who is 37 turning 38 in a few months only played 24 games this season. They need D pretty badly.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
They lost Streit & MacDonald in the past year and Visnovsky who is 37 turning 38 in a few months only played 24 games this season. They need D pretty badly.

I just have concerns with wang opening the check book. He needs to go big and know is others who would have concerns for this but sign niskanen vanek and boyle would be good moves they would still have room to sign another free agent lol.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
damn, looks like we moved too slowly on this one. I have a feeling Boyle is going to get signed by the isles. I feel like this sort of move tends to get the FA's attention enough to sign.

Not the worst thing in the world, though. It may force SFY to have to make a trade for defense now.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
Trading for a players rights isn't a guarantee that player signs. We found that out with Brian Rolston and ironically the Islanders found that out with Christian Ehrhoff. I wonder if the news that the Lightning were interested in acquiring his rights was leaked intentionally as a way to tell Boyle we're interested without giving up a pick.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Zidlicky outproduced Boyle, is almost a full year younger and didn't show a rapid decline this past season. If he only got 4mil on a one year deal I pay Boyle more then 3.5 and only one year also. There's no chance I offer Boyle two years with how bad he looked most of last season.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Zidlicky outproduced Boyle, is almost a full year younger and didn't show a rapid decline this past season. If he only got 4mil on a one year deal I pay Boyle more then 3.5 and only one year also. There's no chance I offer Boyle two years with how bad he looked most of last season.

Really? LOL. Boyle played the latter part of the season with lingering side effects attributed to his concussion. He admitted that he came back to early.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
Trading for a players rights isn't a guarantee that player signs. We found that out with Brian Rolston and ironically the Islanders found that out with Christian Ehrhoff. I wonder if the news that the Lightning were interested in acquiring his rights was leaked intentionally as a way to tell Boyle we're interested without giving up a pick.

You know it is. Nothing leaves the Lightning front office without Yzerman's permission.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Really? LOL. Boyle played the latter part of the season with lingering side effects attributed to his concussion. He admitted that he came back to early.

So you want to throw several years at a 38 year old that now might have lingering concussion issues? He's not what he used to be concussion or not. I'd rather us look elsewhere for someone younger.

If he doesn't sign with the Islanders and we make a push the only way I offer more then a year is if the money is low. I can't see him living up to a two year deal so I'd go big for one if we offered.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Boyle isn't in some kind of magical decline. In fact I would state that he just ran into some really bad puck luck last year. SJ had a shooting percentage of 6% when he was on the ice. That's insanely low. His PP puck luck wasnt much better.

Boyle on TB would put up 40 points easily. No doubt in my mind. And give him relatively sheltered zone starts and minutes and he would be an upgrade on at least half of the current players we have now.

Not even mentioning the fact that he's a right handed defensemen.

2 years, 3.5M per (maybe upwards of 4M) could be much worse spent.

This isn't to say I don't think we should also be bringing in another top 2 defensemen as well.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
So you want to throw several years at a 38 year old that now might have lingering concussion issues? He's not what he used to be concussion or not. I'd rather us look elsewhere for someone younger.

If he doesn't sign with the Islanders and we make a push the only way I offer more then a year is if the money is low. I can't see him living up to a two year deal so I'd go big for one if we offered.
http://www.insidebayarea.com/sharks/ci_25777025/dan-boyle-devastating-not-be-asked-back-by
Boyle said it was fair to call contract length the sticking point, as money was never on the table. The Sharks mentioned only the possibility of a one-year deal, Boyle said, and he was looking for two.
I think it would have to be 2 years, if that's what he wants

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad