Post-Game Talk: Dallas wins and my schwartz watch quit again...

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Solid video breakdown. Oil are struggling with diamond penalty kill formations that are taking away cross ice passes and clogging middle of the ice. McDavid and puck handlers languish on the perimeter scanning for openings. Oil PP is too often stationary and not moving so puck carrier like Nugent Hopkins in this case has nothing for pass options.

They need way more motion and greater pace. Late Nashville game they moved Draisaitl into middle slot for a different look (they need to do this more) and put Nurse on PP1 which gave them another shot option with a guy who can get his shot through to the net.

Time to refresh with top PP1 stagnant and not producing enough chances or results.

I'd personally slot Skinner or Arvidsson on the PP1 for a change. Team desperately needs a guy who wants to shoot the puck. Getting real tired of watching the perimeter stagnant play where the guys just look and attempt for an extra highlight reel pass rather than go for a shot.

It's frustrating that PP2 last game had more desperation by getting the puck on net and crashing for a greasy goal which was rewarded. Meanwhile PP1 has been mainly just pass, stands still, pass, pass, stands still, pass again, turns over the puck, puck gets cleared by the opposing PKERs, rinse and repeat.

Reactions: Dazed and Confused

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Particularly since I don't think you'd have to pay Meth the Oettinger deal.

If we pay Skinner 8 million by the way, Jesus f***ing Christ just kill me. You don't pay guys like Skinner that.

It's like Oilers fans forget what a f***ing goaltender looks like. You pay a guy like Cujo 8 million. You pay to drive a guy like Skinner to the airport so you can pick up his replacement - the shooter tutor.
Yup, this organization hasn’t had an elite goalie since Cujo, you would think they could figure this out.

Reactions: Echodek and iCanada

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
3 goals from the top 6 in 5 games... More concerning, they're not even generating quality looks, even if the shot totals look okay. Seriously, I've seen a few nice individual efforts and a couple of solid give-and-goes from non-dangerous locations, but I can't think of anyone teeing someone else up for a Grade A look in 5 games.

A big part of that seems to be A) guys struggling to find open ice in a shooting position; and B) anytime someone makes a dangerous cut to the slot, they're immediately throwing back to the perimeter.

Also for anyone yearning for Holloway, McLeod, Foegele, etc, the bottom 6 has been fine. Henrique has a goal, Perry has a goal, Connor f**king Brown has a goal, plus Skinner's scored a few while on the 3rd line. Meanwhile...
  • McDavid has been bad. Not just by his standards, he's just been bad. And it's been at both ends of the ice.
  • Draisaitl has more brain-dead penalties than goals.
  • Hyman's been completely snake-bit.
  • RNH has been atrocious. Even the Drai goal tonight is because he overskated the puck.
  • Arvidsson's been noticeable in transition, and I haven't seen the same negative plays out of him as I have with the others, but he's camped near exclusively to the outside in the offensive zone.

It's a similar story on the blueline, where I thought Kulak-Emberson played a very clean game, Nurse-Stecher mostly kept things in control, but it was Ekholm and Bouchard who were struggling with even simple passes and lacking any pace. Bouchard in particular has struggled to generate anything for his 4 teammates all season.

I'm not quite at benching, but they need to mix things up. Instead of trying to balance the size and speed across the two lines (and having them attack more or less in the same way); lean into having one speedier and one heavier line.

RNH-McDavid-Arvidsson
Hyman-Drai-Perry
Skinner-Henrique-Brown
Janmark-Ryan-Podz

As for the PP...
Hyman-McDavid-Drai
Arvidsson-Ekholm

At least for a game. On merit it should also be Skinner replacing RNH, but imo Arvidsson replaces Nuge's role better. Plus as a RHS, he actually gives you the option of a left-wing one timer.

I'd go back to Bouchard after a game, but I need far more from Nuge before he's back on the top unit.

I like the thinking on these lines in the top 6.

The veterans need to be taken out of their comfort zone. Through this stretch of unacceptable play; they’ve mostly been married up to exactly who they prefer playing with. Time to stop that. Play them with unfamiliar linemates and that might force them to start making the plays that are actually there, rather than the dumb all star shit we’ve seen for the better part of the first 6 games.

At this point I think it would be a mistake to not put Skinner and probably Henrique in the top 6 for a few games. They’re playing a consistent, smart game, while everyone else in the Top 6 is not.

Skinner - McDavid - Arvidsson
Henrique - Draisaitl - Hyman
Janmark - RNH - Brown

I hate RNH at C, but Janmark and Brown are strong at driving pace off the wings. Mixing up the top 6 with unfamiliar linemates will force simplicity and a back to basics approach individually. RNH has been so bad I don’t think that making him show something on the third line before he can move back up is a bad idea either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dazed and Confused

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
More movement rather than stagnant standing would be a good start too aside from having any FWD that have a 'shoot first' mentality.

I remember watching this one and wondering what the hell was happening.

My first read was Drai who mirrored Hyman going high to low and made life easy on the PKer covering him. If he just stays near the faceoff dot he stays open and has a way better look. I don't care if he can make that circus goal line shot, there's no need for him to take that line.

But McDavid's positioning is also way off. At first, he's the net front presence when there's no chance of a shot, then when RNH draws two up high he's super slow getting to the corner and giving him an outlet. If he rotates as Hyman comes down then they have a chance for a quick bang-bang play, with him getting a pass and then sending it to Hyman in the slot or Drai out wide.

At first it looks like RNH overhandling the puck. But literally no one around him is going to open ice, and he's having to dance to open up any time for himself...

**rewatching it, I have Drai and McDavid mixed up, but the point still stands. Both with extremely poor reads. Especially McDavid, whom I don't get why he skates down the wall to the RW goal line (Drai can at least make that shot, and why I thought it was him in the first place) vs. staying wide or attacking the slot.

Last edited:
Reactions: McAsuno and K1984

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I remember watching this one and wondering what the hell was happening.

My first read was Drai who mirrored Hyman going high to low and made life easy on the PKer covering him. If he just stays near the faceoff dot he stays open and has a way better look. I don't care, if he can make that circus goal line shot, there's no need for him to take that line.

But McDavid's positioning is also way off. At first, he's the net front presence when there's no chance of a shot, then when RNH draws two up high he's super slow getting to the corner and giving him an outlet. If he rotates as Hyman comes down then they have a chance for a quick bang-bang play with him getting a pass and then sending it to Hyman in the slot or Drai out wide.

At first, it looks like RNH overhandling the puck. But literally no one around him is going to open ice, and he's having to dance to open up any time for himself...

I’ve noticed both Leon and McDavid have had some trouble recognizing when to rotate into open space this year. Everyone is just standing there hoping something will magically happen.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I like the thinking on these lines in the top 6.

The veterans need to be taken out of their comfort zone. Through this stretch of unacceptable play; they’ve mostly been married up to exactly who they prefer playing with. Time to stop that. Play them with unfamiliar linemates and that might force them to start making the plays that are actually there, rather than the dumb all star shit we’ve seen for the better part of the first 6 games.

At this point I think it would be a mistake to not put Skinner and probably Henrique in the top 6 for a few games. They’re playing a consistent, smart game, while everyone else in the Top 6 is not.

Skinner - McDavid - Arvidsson
Henrique - Draisaitl - Hyman
Janmark - RNH - Brown

I hate RNH at C, but Janmark and Brown are strong at driving pace off the wings. Mixing up the top 6 with unfamiliar linemates will force simplicity and a back to basics approach individually.

I also like that setup.

If they try RNH at centre, I also wouldn't mind something like Pod-RNH-Janmark/Brown. Similar to the Kostin-RNH-Janmark combo that had success a few years back.

Reactions: K1984

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I'd personally slot Skinner or Arvidsson on the PP1 for a change. Team desperately needs a guy who wants to shoot the puck. Getting real tired of watching the perimeter stagnant play where the guys just look and attempt for an extra highlight reel pass rather than go for a shot.

It's frustrating that PP2 last game had more desperation by getting the puck on net and crashing for a greasy goal which was rewarded. Meanwhile PP1 has been mainly just pass, stands still, pass, pass, stands still, pass again, turns over the puck, puck gets cleared by the opposing PKERs, rinse and repeat.
Gotta say I think I’d try Cory Perry as an adreline shorterm boost for right shot option and netfront high trqffic guy whose a menace. Super smart player too. Insert Nurse as another shooter & slasher option to move teams off Bouchard.

Do think Skinner is a reasonable player type though and worhy on merit.

Edit: Oil are 90 percentile in high danger shots but only 68 percentile in producing goals. Mid-range. Mid-range shots & goals are both underwater with sub 50 percentile.

Last edited:
Reactions: McAsuno

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Yup, this organization hasn’t had an elite goalie since Cujo, you would think they could figure this out.

Idk, it's clear to me who wasn't old enough to watch Cujo as an Oilers when people talk about Skinner and say he's not utter dog shit.

Like just the feeling you get watching the goaltenders, night and day.

We used to have several lines full of absolute pylons that weren't NHL level just getting absolutely dummied on a shift by shift basis, and we would give up tons of grade A scoring chances over and over again, and it just didn't matter. Because Cujo was elite and was going to be damned if anyone scored on him, no matter what.

Literally he'd be more mad at himself if he got scored on in a 3 on 0 situation than Skinner is from a muffin from the point. And frankly, i felt more confident watching Cujo stare down a breakaway then I to watching Skinner deal with a muffin from the point.

Yeah Skinner has some great stats sometimes, but that's literally just because our team is elite by most metrics. We always have the puck, we don't give up anything, and teams don't really push for offense because they're terrified of getting burned defensively. Yet still, Skinner manages to get torched consistently. It's horrifying to watch, frankly.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Solid video breakdown. Oil are struggling with diamond penalty kill formations that are taking away cross ice passes and clogging middle of the ice. McDavid and puck handlers languish on the perimeter scanning for openings. Oil PP is too often stationary and not moving so puck carrier like Nugent Hopkins in this case has nothing for pass options.

They need way more motion and greater pace. Late Nashville game they moved Draisaitl into middle slot for a different look (they need to do this more) and put Nurse on PP1 which gave them another shot option with a guy who can get his shot through to the net.

Time to refresh with top PP1 stagnant and not producing enough chances or results.

The fact that none of McDavid, Drai, or RNH go anywhere near the slot during the entire sequence is the biggest canary in the coal mine that something's wrong.

The bread and butter of the Oilers' PP for the 5+ years has been a point shot up high (be it Klef, Nurse, Barrie, or Bouch) and a big body that goes straight to the crease (Maroon, Chiasson, Kassian, Pulju, Hyman, Kane), while RNH-McDavid-Drai rotated and flowed through the middle of the ice exploiting whatever opening the man advantage gave them.

But at the moment, the only guy willing to look at the slot is your net-front presence.

Reactions: harpoon and K1984

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The fact that none of McDavid, Drai, or RNH go anywhere near the slot during the entire sequence is the biggest canary in the coal mine that something's wrong.

The bread and butter of the Oilers' PP for the 5+ years has been a point shot up high (be it Klef, Nurse, Barrie, or Bouch) and a big body that goes straight to the crease (Maroon, Chiasson, Kassian, Pulju, Hyman, Kane), while RNH-McDavid-Drai rotated and flowed through the middle of the ice exploiting whatever opening the man advantage gave them.

But at the moment, the only guy willing to look at the slot is your net-front presence.

McDavid will burst into the slot, but then just move it to Hyman or Leon on a 5% pass rather than take the 20%+ shot.

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
Why this team has never invested in an elite goaltender during McDrai’s prime years, I’ll never understand. They gambled and lost on Campbell, and Skinner certainly isn’t it. Should have targeted one of Boston’s goalies and tried to make the money work.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
McDavid will burst into the slot, but then just move it to Hyman or Leon on a 5% pass rather than take the 20%+ shot.

I'd say that's the story 5v5, On the PP none of them are making a living in the slot and playing the bumper/decoy role.

Historically it is more of McDavid's spot, as I tend to think of Nuge on the LW halfway and Drai as the one-time option on the right. But they rotated constantly and that's what made it so dangerous.
However with all 3 of them constantly bobbling pucks, it seems like they're terrified of traffic and want to stay outside.

Reactions: K1984

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Why this team has never invested in an elite goaltender during McDrai’s prime years, I’ll never understand. They gambled and lost on Campbell, and Skinner certainly isn’t it. Should have targeted one of Boston’s goalies and tried to make the money work.
They took a shot with Markstrom when he was UFA. But he’s allergic to winning and chose the phlegms.

Reactions: fresh meat

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I'd say that's the story 5v5, On the PP none of them are making a living in the slot and playing the bumper/decoy role.

Historically it is more of McDavid's spot, as I tend to think of Nuge on the LW halfway and Drai as the one-time option on the right. But they rotated constantly and that's what made it so dangerous.
However with all 3 of them constantly bobbling pucks, it seems like they're terrified of traffic and want to stay outside.

Today Connor did actually fire on a quality look in that spot, but basically fired it right at Oettinger despite having a lot of net to look at.

That’s the other thing at the moment. They defer, defer, defer, then when they actually launch one it’s just missed either due to lack of focus, or at this point, lack of familiarity shooting to score in prime areas.

Reactions: Cloned

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
After 6 games we are just as bad as last year

This year
2-4-0
60.2% Corsi
38% GF
58.4% xGF
60.2% HDSC

Last Year
1-3-1
57.49% Corsi
38.89% GF
55.34% xGF
60.32% HDSC

So with an alleged better roster, no Campbell, easier strength of schedule, and a “better coach”.
This team is literally an overtime win instead of an OT loss better.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
At this point JJ needs to sit McDavid down and have him watch all 60+ goals be scored two years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad