Post-Game Talk: Dallas wins and my schwartz watch quit again...

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's not unbeatable. We proved that in the playoffs. Scoring one goal isn't going to win you a hockey game.

Where's the offense for this team? How are we DFL in GF?

Oilers love to have one of these turd stretches every season. Last two years they've decided it would be great to start the season doing it.

The defensive side I actually thought they played quite well, Dallas was largely shut down for a big portion of the game, then they got discouraged after the easy PP goal they got and sagged a bit.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
He's a 2.6 million dollar goalie and he basically plays like it (middle/lower end of the pack depending on which goaltending metric you look at).

Think people expecting him to blossom into some big ticket starter are seeing that fizzle out. If he's gonna take a big step in his game it should be happening now, that game defensively overall the Oilers play quite well, not perfect but not team does that.

If you are what you say you are (a big time goalie) then that's the kind of game you step up to the plate and make a few game altering saves.

Yet some people think he should/deserves a big fat pay raise like Oettinger lol.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Of course, but that's more so on Oettinger being a brick wall. Can we say the same thing often for Skinner? He's been the 2nd best goalie on a frequent basis. Sometimes the goalies need to steal the game if the team in front can't push for goals. Oettinger did that today. Skinner? Sport another shit save % but at least his mustache and long ass hair are intact.
Hey, he shoulder checks the shit out of that goal each game as his warmup. He's a boss right? f***. Least he's not tossing his hair back as much this year like in a Romance Harlequin movie. Studz Skinner.

Need a TDL goalie. Get one this time.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yet some people think he should/deserves a big fat pay raise like Oettinger lol.

If he's getting that, it ain't gonna be here, lol. Lets just say I wouldn't be buying a Stuart Skinner Oilers jersey because I'm not really sure if he's gonna be here in 2 years time.

Reactions: McAsuno

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
If he's getting that, it ain't gonna be here, lol. Lets just say I wouldn't be buying a Stuart Skinner Oilers jersey because I'm not really sure if he's gonna be here in 2 years time.

Should I be happy that my fiancee bought me a Janmark jersey then. Hahaha. (Kidding aside, chose Janmark because that guy works his ass off)
GaSWWE7awAAf3p_

Reactions: NotAVacuumSalesman

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Aside from the PK I think the defense is trending in the right direction.

3 even strength goals against in the last 3 games ... I will take that.

PK, PP, and general offensive play of our core forwards in the top 6 isn't good enough.

Reactions: YakDavid

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
Bouchard has been atrocious to start the year again. Dude falls down constantly, can't get most of his shots through, can't make simple passes, can't defend to save his life. There was one play in the 2nd period were a puck hits his skate in the neutral zone and ends up behind him but instead of turning around to get it he just slows down and stands there. Dallas then proceeds to basically walk in on a 2 on 1 for a good scoring chance. Guy shouldn't be close to sniffing 10 million a year when he consistently starts the season like he forgot how to play during the summer.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
How many more years will the RNH at #2C experiment have to happen?

Are we stuck with it until he retires?

Shake it up, try something different at this point.

Hyman McDavid Arvidsson
RNH Draisaitl Skinner

I mean at this point, might as well because the current config ain't getting it done.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
He's not unbeatable. We proved that in the playoffs. Scoring one goal isn't going to win you a hockey game.

Where's the offense for this team? How are we DFL in GF?
Stars had Tanev and Suter gifting the Oilers chance after chance in front of net and dishing turnovers. they got rid of that.

The topline was getting a lot done today. OTT was spectacular and on his best days he's about as good as it gets. Today was OTT version impersonating SC cup winning J Quick. Similar game. When OTT is on Dallas wins.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Some good chances for the Oilers but nobody is able to pick the corners on Otter. Too many shots in his bread basket.

Second best goalie in the matinee performance again belonged to the Oilers. Stu isn't going to steal too many for you so best to bury a few more chances. PP looks like a corpse.

Stars were fired up....you knew that was coming.
They weren’t fired up though. They had 4 shots on goal midway through the game. They were awful today. The Oilers should have put this game away early but they can’t score.

Reactions: MoontoScott

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They weren’t fired up though. They had 4 shots on goal midway through the game. They were awful today. The Oilers should have put this game away early but they can’t score.

Defensively we were really good for most of the game.

The Oilers will always do the "let down when you dominate most of the game and then the goalie lets in a kinda easy one". Seen that happen about 50 times over the years.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
How dare he be 11-2 on the for after that, especially when anything over 50% means you're having a good day 🙄 Skinner stops a puck that 90% of nhl goaltender would stop and no one even notices that he lost that draw.
Skinner needs to make that save. But the line of mistakes begins with Stetcher's bad penalty, a clean face-off loss (even though Nugent Hopkins was 86.7% in the dot), missed assignment by Henrique (normally very detailed guy), and ending with Skinner beaten from range on a clean look.

The Oilers played a great road game up until that late second period bad penalty and the sequence of mistakes that followed. The Oilers failing to convert zone domination, PP opportunities, and Stack 5 deployment to break the goose egg prior is the big picture here. The PP is beyond ice-cold and the top heavy Line 1 is not cashing EV.

Still lots of positives in this game. The abnormal low shooting percentage that cuts across this whole team will start moving X Goals back to actual production results. But it's time to shake up the dormant power play and ideally go back to this team's strength of deep, balanced lines instead of all eggs in one basket.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Stars had Tanev and Suter gifting the Oilers chance after chance in front of net and dishing turnovers. they got rid of that.

The topline was getting a lot done today. OTT was spectacular and on his best days he's about as good as it gets. Today was OTT version impersonating SC cup winning J Quick. Similar game. When OTT is on Dallas wins.
I'm through with the "We got goalie'd" excuse. When you're only popping 2 a game with that level of firepower it's more than just "The other goalie was really good".

The topline is as defensively atrocious as ever, but of course we all knew that. For some reason "McDrai can't defend" hasn't hit the coaching staff yet.

Reactions: cantthinkofone

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I didn't. Watched him make calm, smart plays with ease one after the other. Key word being "with ease", which means there's so much potential there as he tries more things. Also saw him consistently get trucked like usual, but he seems to handle it well with his size.
Trouble is he's going to get better with man strength. Guy can walk the blueline quite well, has sexy speed, can transition from own zone to Ozone in a flash. He is a potential weapon.

Thing is at worst he's a top 4 D that adds pts and can play jump forward and skate back with a breeze. The compensation we got, it ain't likely much.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I'm through with the "We got goalie'd" excuse. When you're only popping 2 a game with that level of firepower it's more than just "The other goalie was really good".

The topline is as defensively atrocious as ever, but of course we all knew that. For some reason "McDrai can't defend" hasn't hit the coaching staff yet.
Dallas had 9 shots on goal with minutes left in 2nd period and they weren't losing. By end end of 2nd they're winning the game. Its ALL about goaltending. This was textbook display. If goalies are reversed Oilers score 7 goals.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Hey, he shoulder checks the shit out of that goal each game as his warmup. He's a boss right? f***. Least he's not tossing his hair back as much this year like in a Romance Harlequin movie. Studz Skinner.

Need a TDL goalie. Get one this time.
Bowman won cups with Corey Crawford. He ain't upgrading Skinner.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Anybody who thinks officiating cost us this game is delusional. Skinner was bad and the forwards were even worse. They couldn’t score again and worse offered no defensive support. These guys need to figure out how big they want that hole they need to climb out to get before they start taking hockey seriously again.
Delusional or day drinking.

• Wow
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad