Proposal: Dallas & Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
There is no way I leafs would not do this. You get a top end prospect for dirt cheap. Also Honka could 100% start as 3rd pairing RD on leafs next year

with kapanen and holland involved, no they dont.

honka is a nice prospect, but so is kapanen. we dont give up holland, sparks, and take on niemi out of the goodness of our hearts.

we have a honka in carrick. end thread/

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
and the leafs hang up laughing. we arent taking a bust prospect and a cap dump backup goalie and giving up a decent roster player, and one of our top prospects

Originally there was no Kapenen in the deal.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Niemi
Oleksiak

for

Lupul
Holland
Sparks

I'd have no problem with this, but I don't see how we are going to be able to fit in Oleksiak? We already have 8 NHL defensemen, and he'd have to pass through waivers to get to the AHL. Id probably prefer an equal pick or a prospect who doesn't need to pass through waivers this year, but otherwise I think it works (at least from a Leafs stand point).

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd have no problem with this, but I don't see how we are going to be able to fit in Oleksiak? We already have 8 NHL defensemen, and he'd have to pass through waivers to get to the AHL. Id probably prefer an equal pick or a prospect who doesn't need to pass through waivers this year, but otherwise I think it works (at least from a Leafs stand point).

Fair enough, just spitballing lol.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Niemi
Oleksiak

for

Lupul
Holland
Sparks

And we don't have room for Lupul, Holland, or Sparks.

There are three ways this could work:
1. We move Niemi off our books in 17-18, ie Niemi for Laich
2. We move Niemi for equivalent money that ends in 17-18, ie Niemi for Lupul @4.5m
3. We move Niemi for more money that ends in 17-18 and get something decent, ie Niemi for Lupul +

I'm not sure where the overlap, if any, between Toronto's interest and Dallas' is, but I haven't seen any in this thread yet.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
That's why they're actively looking to change that scenario and acquire Bishop...

Just because it worked doesn't mean you can't try to make it better... Dallas won 50 games with Kari and Niemi. They are fine if they are forced to keep them but obviously getting better jn net would help

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

2. We move Niemi for equivalent money that ends in 17-18, ie Niemi for Lupul @4.5m
3. We move Niemi for more money that ends in 17-18 and get something decent, ie Niemi for Lupul +

I'm not sure where the overlap, if any, between Toronto's interest and Dallas' is, but I haven't seen any in this thread yet.

We can't retain on Lupul but we'd be willing to work in another contract there (coming back to us to balance money) or a small asset going to Dallas for taking on some additional salary from Lupul.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

They have no reason to add to Lupul. We could just use him as the 13th forward jn the worst case if he is healthy. We have the space and if a Niemi for Lupul allows us to land Bishop I'm all for that swap. Easier to deal with an extra Lupul in my opinion

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
We can't retain on Lupul but we'd be willing to work in another contract there (coming back to us to balance money) or a small asset going to Dallas for taking on some additional salary from Lupul.

The Stars' roster is pretty much set, there isn't anybody who is expendable.

They have no reason to add to Lupul. We could just use him as the 13th forward jn the worst case if he is healthy. We have the space and if a Niemi for Lupul allows us to land Bishop I'm all for that swap. Easier to deal with an extra Lupul in my opinion

I don't expect there to be much overlap between what we want and what they want. The thing to keep in mind is that we can't afford Bishop and Nichushkin and Lupul's 750k increase in cap hit.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

I don't expect there to be much overlap between what we want and what they want. The thing to keep in mind is that we can't afford Bishop and Nichushkin and Lupul's 750k increase in cap hit.

Don't suppose you'd consider shipping off Eakins in a separate transaction (or even perhaps in the deal for Bishop itself) - you do have an in-house replacement in Faksa who I really enjoyed watching down the stretch.

Last edited:

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
As a Leafs fan I would do Niemi + 1st for (whatever low end young players Dallas would be okay with taking like Leivo, Holland or Sparks), but I don't think Dallas does it. They have to move picks to get rid of Niemi and then have to move more picks/prospects to get Bishop Fleury? That would gut their system pretty hard

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

I assume in a hypothetical Bishop deal we are very very unlikely going to be taking on all the salary. We probably are going to have a couple million shipped the other way

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I'd be good with that, depending upon the prospect(s). I wouldn't give up anyone amazing, but we have some young top 9 and bottom 4 type guys we could live without.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Don't suppose you'd consider shipping off Eakins in a separate transaction (or even perhaps in the deal for Bishop itself) - you do have an in-house replacement in Faksa who I really enjoyed watching down the stretch.

I am very interested in that, but Dallas management loves him and Tampa doesn't want that kind of lengthy commitment.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
As a Leafs fan I would do Niemi + 1st for (whatever low end young players Dallas would be okay with taking like Leivo, Holland or Sparks), but I don't think Dallas does it. They have to move picks to get rid of Niemi and then have to move more picks/prospects to get Bishop Fleury? That would gut their system pretty hard

There is no chance Dallas pays a premium asset to move Niemi because it is not needed

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Sure, it it's Honka.

Leafs will have to find a way to dump salary though, this would put them over the cap once Matthews/RFA's sign.

If it's Oleksiak I don't think it's worth having a 4 million dollar backup for.

Leafs have over $13 mill on LTIR to use. they are more than ok cap wise. :handclap:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I am very interested in that, but Dallas management loves him and Tampa doesn't want that kind of lengthy commitment.

Could be a better long term answer at 3C, allows them to move Flip.

Lotta moving parts at that point though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad