Proposal: Dallas & Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
A lot of hype around Honka, but is he really that good?

Over-ager in the AHL?

No?

his draft class is just reaching the AHL this year. He played tehre as an 18 and 19 year old and put real solid numbers. I dont think we are hyping him more so than saying there is no way in hell we move our best prospect to move a goalie when it not a necessity

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay
his draft class is just reaching the AHL this year. He played tehre as an 18 and 19 year old and put real solid numbers. I dont think we are hyping him more so than saying there is no way in hell we move our best prospect to move a goalie when it not a necessity

don`t you have to be 20 to play in the ahl. That`s why marner can`t play in the ahl

serp

Jan 17, 2016
don`t you have to be 20 to play in the ahl. That`s why marner can`t play in the ahl

Think thats only for North American players . International players can play there earlier. Really dumb for NA kids who aren't good enough for the NHL but too good for junior.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

If you have a CHL team you can't. Honka was loaned by his Finnish team to the WHL, then after the draft the loan ended and his contract was up.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
How good is Honka?

Cause aside from Kapenen, those Leafs pieces are trash. And Kapenen is a huge question mark at this point.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Eklund says Dallas is trying to trade Niemi and a prospect and again talking to TB about Bishop.

I doubt they move Honka, COMMITTING To a youth movement on D. We have some forwards we could move, like Shore,Dickenson, Gurirnov, even Nuke. I think it will go that direction with one going to another team, and another going to TB. Even Eakin, Nemeth, Jan mark could be in play.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
How good is Honka?

Cause aside from Kapenen, those Leafs pieces are trash. And Kapenen is a huge question mark at this point.

At 19 He was at 44 points in 73 games last year as a D and according to your beat writers he is also coming into his own defensively. He should get first pair in all situations in the AHL next year amd is our best prospect. I would not be surprised if he pushes to make the NHL by mid season ish

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
We don't want to trade Honka for Bishop.

Why the **** would we trade him for this?

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Value is certainly there from a Leaf perspective but I am not really interested in back up goalie making 4.5 for 2 more years.

While Honka is great he would have a hard time cracking the Leafs line up. So all in all we are taking on cap for a player who we hope will start in our bottom 6 next year. Again not a knock on where Honka will be in 3 - 5 years.

On top of that we get rid of a forward whos age matches our rebuild and has done very well in the NHL at a very young age.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
Value is certainly there from a Leaf perspective but I am not really interested in back up goalie making 4.5 for 2 more years.

While Honka is great he would have a hard time cracking the Leafs line up. So all in all we are taking on cap for a player who we hope will start in our bottom 6 next year. Again not a knock on where Honka will be in 3 - 5 years

Wow, I must really be underrating Toronto's D. Other than Morgan Rielly, I think Honka could be their best right now, never mind not making it. This proposal is laughable.

As others have said, if the Stars aren't moving Honka for Bishop there's no chance they ever move him for three pieces they don't need and trade other coveted youth to Tampa.

And while we're at it, if the Stars are dumping something that good to shed a goalie, I'd much rather give up Lehtonen's contract.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Wow, I must really be underrating Toronto's D. Other than Morgan Rielly, I think Honka could be their best right now, never mind not making it. This proposal is laughable.

As others have said, if the Stars aren't moving Honka for Bishop there's no chance they ever move him for three pieces they don't need and trade other coveted youth to Tampa.

And while we're at it, if the Stars are dumping something that good to shed a goalie, I'd much rather give up Lehtonen's contract.

Your forgetting jake gardiner. The advance stats show he's an elite defender and possession player. While I wouldnt call hI'm a number one or two dmen, he is a great number 3 who can give you 30-35 pts(and this is while playing with the mess of the offensive team the leafs have had for past two years). Honka would be a rookie and like all rookie dmeb would find it difficult in the jump from ahl to nhl. He would be at best a number 4 dmeb for us and even for the stats he should be deployed as a number 5 who plays 18 mins a night and get pp time. Let him develop slowly. We did it with Rielly and his game has improved each year.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

While Honka is great he would have a hard time cracking the Leafs line up. So all in all we are taking on cap for a player who we hope will start in our bottom 6 next year. Again not a knock on where Honka will be in 3 - 5 years.

On top of that we get rid of a forward whos age matches our rebuild and has done very well in the NHL at a very young age.

There is no way I leafs would not do this. You get a top end prospect for dirt cheap. Also Honka could 100% start as 3rd pairing RD on leafs next year

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Your forgetting jake gardiner. The advance stats show he's an elite defender and possession player. While I wouldnt call hI'm a number one or two dmen, he is a great number 3 who can give you 30-35 pts(and this is while playing with the mess of the offensive team the leafs have had for past two years). Honka would be a rookie and like all rookie dmeb would find it difficult in the jump from ahl to nhl. He would be at best a number 4 dmeb for us and even for the stats he should be deployed as a number 5 who plays 18 mins a night and get pp time. Let him develop slowly. We did it with Rielly and his game has improved each year.

Yup. Too answer everyone who replied to me, this all day. Furthermore it would benefit him more to play in our top 4 for his development which makes it even harder. Rielly, Gardiner and Zaitzev most likely due to experience. That leaves 1 spot available at best.

Again in this trade proposal, we get at best a 3 or 4 defenseman for the year after the trade. Not necessarily saying it isn't worth it, just that in a year's time as long as Zaitsev can be a #4 Honka would have to play #2 minutes, most likely exposing him too early, and putting our top D line in disarray.

Babcock is not going to play a rookie #2 minutes so all this is moot.

I've already stated the value is in Toronto favour. Just saying it is not a steal for Toronto considering where the main piece coming back to us may play.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Stars have Lagace, Desrosiers and Kiviaho for the minor leagues. They need playing time and adding Sparks doesn't help. If they acquire Bishop and develop those three, Sparks will be redundant. He would also have to beat out Lehtonen for the backup spot or face waivers in fall 2017.

Dallas has a lot of NHL and AHL guys who are C/LW so Holland isn't a good fit. A defenseman or RW would be better.

A good part of this offer is that RW Kapanen is in there with lots of time left to develop before waiver eligibility. They won't include Honka just to get Kapanen from us though.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Yup. Too answer everyone who replied to me, this all day. Furthermore it would benefit him more to play in our top 4 for his development which makes it even harder. Rielly, Gardiner and Zaitzev most likely due to experience. That leaves 1 spot available at best.

Again in this trade proposal, we get at best a 3 or 4 defenseman for the year after the trade. Not necessarily saying it isn't worth it, just that in a year's time as long as Zaitsev can be a #4 Honka would have to play #2 minutes, most likely exposing him too early, and putting our top D line in disarray.

Babcock is not going to play a rookie #2 minutes so all this is moot.

I've already stated the value is in Toronto favour. Just saying it is not a steal for Toronto considering where the main piece coming back to us may play.

Starting a rookie D on the 3rd pair is completely reasonable and what you should do if you can 100% of the time. Putting a rookie immediately on the second pair can be very costly both for their confidence/progress and the teams ability to win. I personally think Honka could do very very well in the NHL as of day 1 playing 3rd pair with a little 2nd unit PP time to show him self. Given them reduced minutes and let them show they are ready for more. Don't give them a full plate and then take some away when they can't handle it

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
There is a phenomenal difference between Honka and Oleksiak. If it's Oleksiak Dallas is 100% on board. If it's Honka we never answer a call from Toronto again

and the leafs hang up laughing. we arent taking a bust prospect and a cap dump backup goalie and giving up a decent roster player, and one of our top prospects

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad