Value of: Dallas Stars potential fire sale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bigshow747

May 12, 2018
If Dallas loses out on what appears to be a 5 team race for the final wild card spot, and they actually see the writing on the wall (doubtful), and then decide to move their pending UFA's (they have some really, really valuable ones), what predictions and value do you think they could get?

Key UFA's
John Klingberg: Second only to Jacob Chychrun in terms of defensemen available (though will be less expensive due to his rental status), teams should be lining up to try and improve their powerplay. Klingberg gets a bad rap for having poor defensive skills, but in all reality he has some really underrated defensive abilities. Teams to watch for would be Carolina (paired with Slavin would be a top 5 pairing), Toronto (Muzzin would provide a great partner), Washington 1-2 punch of Carlsson and Klinger would make them really deep), and Florida (takes some of the offensive responsibility of Ekblad away).

Price: 1st/2nd, Roster Player, Top prospect/Middling Prospect?

Mock Package: Carolina sends 2021 1st, Ethan Bear, and Suzuki. This might be a tad expensive, but I have a feeling there will be more than one team in play here.

Joe Pavelski: He's Captain America. He's on a PPG pace. He made the All-Star Game. The guy is a winner, and any team in playoff spot would and should be after him. Carolina again makes sense. Washington. But Boston could be a fit. You hear it all the time that they do not have the offensive depth after that top line.

Price: Late 1st/Early 2nd , Roster player with upside, prospect depending on if money goes back the other way or money retained (though I don't know if retention matters with a pending UFA?)

Mock Package: Boston sends 2021 1st + Jake DeBrusk + Urho Vaakanainen for Paveslki @50% retained

Brayden Hotlby: This one is kind of tough. Holtby has looked good at times and hasn't at others. I think because of his contract though, he's capable of being fit under the cap for a cap strapped team. He's also a winner, and when he's on he's one of the best down a stretch run. I could see Edmonton, Colorado, Anaheim, and even Vegas being interested.

Price: 2nd or 3rd? Hard to gauge.

Alexander Radulov: This is even tougher. You can tell there is regression or some kind of lingering issue. But in the right atmosphere with the right players he might be able to thrive again. Obviously there is the "Russian" factor, and I would love to see him play with Ovi or Malkin. I could see teams looking for middle 6 help looking at Rads.

Price: 2nd or 3rd. Thought someone might overpay if they're desperate.

Michael Raffl: One of the more impressive FA signings Dallas has made in awhile. He fits his role perfectly as a bottom to middle 6 forward who can play defensively or provide secondary scoring. Great value contract. Excellent PK'er.

Price: 3rd or 4th or 5th

Andrej Sekera: Not a ton of value left but if a team is looking for an experienced #7 for a playoff run, this guy isn't a bad option.

Price: Late pick.

Feel free to rip these, I don't pretend to be an expert, but if Dallas is committing to a rebuild/retool, they have some pieces that could be valuable commodities to playoff teams looking to get better. I think they should consider it based on the talent available. They also have 2/3 of a top line (Hintz/Robertson), a true #1 dman (Heiskanen) and an up and coming starter (Oettinger). There is a lot to like about their pipeline with guys like Bourque, Johnston, Stankoven, Harley, Damiani, and Dellandrea coming. I think if this is a legitimate possibility, Dallas could take advantage and retool quickly.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Teams will be all over them if they decide they wanna blow it up.

Of course Klingberg we already know, but there are some really good pieces available here.

Someone is gonna get Radulov for a steal of a deal and he's gonna be great there. Stars system is killing the return they'll get on him and just watch he's suddenly gonna go back to normal when he's traded. He's still got it.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Teams will be all over them if they decide they wanna blow it up.

Of course Klingberg we already know, but there are some really good pieces available here.

Someone is gonna get Radulov for a steal of a deal and he's gonna be great there. Stars system is killing the return they'll get on him and just watch he's suddenly gonna go back to normal when he's traded. He's still got it.
Been saying on the NYR board that we could and should get Rads at a decent discount because we aren’t likely to go all in.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I wouldn’t get my hopes up for the Canes, or any team for that matter, giving up a roster player plus the equivalent of two 1st round picks for 30 games of Klingberg.

Reactions: Gruyeriev

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
A 1st on top of Suzuki is too much to stomach from a Carolina perspective. Odds are that he’s a pure rental to the Canes, given his age and contract ask.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
We will see. Doubt any team moves a 1st for him.

Why do you think that? He’s scoring at over a point per game right now. GMs love gritty veteran players, particularly those with a history of playoff production. The forward rental market is shaping up to be average. Neither Hertl nor Giroux, the standout impending UFA Fs from teams on the fringes, are sure bets to become available.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

Bigshow747

May 12, 2018
I don't see how Pavelski can get less than a 1st. All bias aside. He's playing at a point a game right now, and is the best net-front, tip-in artist in the game bar none. Any team looking for a second line improvement whether in the middle or on the wing would get that. He's a pure rental, but you also get some serious playoff boost.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Why do you think that? He’s scoring at over a point per game right now. GMs love gritty veteran players, particularly those with a history of playoff production. The forward rental market is shaping up to be average. Neither Hertl nor Giroux, the standout impending UFA Fs from teams on the fringes, are sure bets to become available.
When was the last time a GM gave up a 1st for a 37 year old rental?

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I don't see how Pavelski can get less than a 1st. All bias aside. He's playing at a point a game right now, and is the best net-front, tip-in artist in the game bar none. Any team looking for a second line improvement whether in the middle or on the wing would get that. He's a pure rental, but you also get some serious playoff boost.
Kreider is a better net front, tip in player.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
How many 37 year old rentals score a point per game? I feel like age isn't something you apply here, given rentals at their very nature are gone the year after. You're gearing up for a Cup run and the way this guy is playing your team is a contender.
Unless they deal Strome, pavelski would be the 3C. They are not paying a 1st for a rental 3C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad