Speculation: Dallas Stars - All Time Team?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Just for fun:

Loui Eriksson - Mike Modano - Jamie Benn
Brett Hull - Joe Nieuwendyk - Bill Guerin
Brenden Morrow - Mike Ribeiro - Jere Lehtinen
Jamie Langenbrunner - Jason Arnott - Steve Ott

Sergei Zubov - Darryl Sydor
Derian Hatcher - Stéphane Robidas
Trevor Daley - Philippe Boucher

Ed Belfour
Marty Turco
Kari Lehtonen

(All in their prime)

How would this team do in todays NHL?

"How can you have him with ..." and "Why do you not pick ..." I look forward to a scary aha experience of having missed the big names that should have been included.

Feel free to make your own all-time team...

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
But if you have Brett Hull at his best, St.Louis best, there is no way he is going to be in the 2nd line behind Eriksson. Outside of Belfour, (and maybe Zubov, although not still Zubov) Hull has the easily best peak/prime.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
I probably go like this ...

B Morrow (A) - M Modano (A) - J Lehtinen
J Benn - M Ribeiro - B Hull
L Eriksson - J Nieuwendyk - J Langenbrunner
S Ott - G Carbonneau - M Keane

D Hatcher (C) - S Zubov (A)
R Matvichuk - D Sydor
S Robidas - C Ludwig

E Belfour
M Turco
A Moog​

Can you imagine Ribeiro and Hull and Benn on a line? This team would ****ing destroy everybody and would walk to the Cup in 18 games.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I think those lines work better.

Gotta keep Lehts on Modano's wing. And Lehtonen has the potential to unseat Turco. Just needs to win a few rounds in the playoffs first. ;)

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I like ck26's roster.

Agreed on the idea that Benn - Ribeiro - Hull would be devastating. Absolutely devastating.

Lucy963

Jan 5, 2009
Forwards: 1.Benn-Modano-Hull 2.Morrow-Ribeiro-Lehtinen 3.Eriksson-Nieuwendyk-Langenbrunner 4.Ott-Arnott-Guerin Ex. Seguin. Defense: 1.Sydor-Zubov 2.Matvichuk-Hatcher 3.Daley-Boucher Ex. Robidas Goalies: 1.Ed Belfour 2.Marty Turco Ex. Kari Lehtonen

Last edited:

Bob Munden

Apr 3, 2008
Stockholm
Lehtinen - Modano - Hull
Morrow - Nieuwendyk - Langenbrunner
Benn - Ribeiro - Eriksson
Verbeek - Carbonneau - Keane

Hatcher - Matvichuk
Sydor - Zubov
Ludwig - Boucher

Belfour
Turco
Moog

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Lehtinen - Modano - Hull
Benn - Nieuwendyk - Langenbrunner
Morrow - *Gagner - Eriksson
Keane - Carbonneau - Verbeek

Hatcher - Matvichuk
Zubov - Sydor
*Tinordi - Ludwig
Robidas

Belfour
Turco

*Dave Gagner ahead off Ribeiro because if we're building an actual team, he'd be a better fit at 3C than Ribs would be. Gagner was the better player, but keeping with strictly Dallas years Ribeiro would likely deserve a spot ahead of him just because of the games played. Just had to go with Super Dave at that spot though.

*Mark Tinordi only played 61 games with Dallas, but he was such a stud back there and there's no way I can leave him off. Wish we would have kept him (except for the fact that he relayed in to Zubov)

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Are North Stars players not invited?

I always include Minnesota in anything franchise or history wise, but this one specifically calls for "Dallas", so I stuck by that.

Here's my all-time team including the Minnesota days though. Only using players who have played at least 200 games with the franchise. So no Mike Gartner, no Larry Murphy, etc.

Brian Bellows - Mike Modano - Brett Hull
Jamie Benn - Joe Nieuwendyk - Dino Ciccarelli
Steve Payne - Neal Broten - Bill Goldsworthy
Brenden Morrow - Dave Gagner - Jere Lehtinen

Derian Hatcher - Craig Hartsburg
Sergei Zubov - Darryl Sydor
Mark Tinordi - Brad Maxwell
Curt Giles

Ed Belfour
Jon Casey

Made the lines based on who I think would work well together, not necessarily who deserves higher slotting depth wise - though that played a definite role.

I leave off Bobby Smith, only because he bent Lou Nanne over a barrel in his prime which forced his trade. Also because who the heck would I take off? the others are deserving as well.

I go with Jon Casey as my back-up, mostly using my heart, but Meloche is who I lean towards other than that.

Last edited:

Cold Medicine

Apr 4, 2014
If there isn't a requirement for a minimum games played, I'd include Lindros and Jagr. Aside from Brett Hull, they are the only other Hart winners to play for the Stars (and maybe North Stars, although I'm not sure about that.)

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
If there isn't a requirement for a minimum games played, I'd include Lindros and Jagr. Aside from Brett Hull, they are the only other Hart winners to play for the Stars (and maybe North Stars, although I'm not sure about that.)

Yep. Guy Lafleur (2 Hart trophies) was a North Star for a day in May 1991 until he was dealt back to Quebec where he officially retired. Again. Though he never played.

Everyone will have their own criteria I suppose. Kind of a personal choice. Some will prefer to slot players best suited for a position (i.e. Carbo, Keane, Dirk Graham, Gaetan Duchesne, Stewart Gavin etc etc on checking lines), some will go strictly best players regardless of niche. Some will only count how good they were while with the franchise - if so neither Jagr or Lindros would count - some would just count career value and if they played even just one game they count - if that's the case then clearly both Lindros and Jagr make the cut. That's cheesy to me though. I didn't even want to include guys like Mike Gartner and Larry Murphy. My own standard when putting together an all-time lineup.

Last edited:

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Hull-Modano-Lehtinen
Morrow-Nieuwendyk-Langenbrunner
Benn-Richards-Eriksson
Keane-Carbonneau-Verbeek
*Seguin would be my 13th

Zubov-Hatcher
Sydor-Boucher
Ludwig-Matvichuk
Tinordi* would be the 7th

Belfour
Lehtonen

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
I wouldnt say Turco choked away playoff series'. Hell, we lost to the Canucks in '07 and dude had 3 shutouts. How the heck does that happen?

He was good up until his final couple seasons. At least as good as Lehtonen has been, plus he just has more games/wins/shutouts/etc. If Lehtonen were to pack er in right now, Turco is more significant to the franchise and he should get the nod. Over Kari, I mean. I heavily considered him for my backup role too - and he could easily be in that spot. It's gotta be between him, Casey, Meloche, or Maniago.

Last edited:

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014
And what would you call Lehtonen's performance in his 4 playoff losses (especially the last one)?

I Could fault him for 2 maybe 3 of the loses. Even if i faulted him for all 4, That's 1 series he cost us vs how many for Turco?

I Fault Chiasson's stupid penalty and poor coaching for game the game 6 loss, Not Lehtonen.
a 2goal lead with just over 2mins and the team collapsed.

Turco Played 3 good games against the Canucks, they just so happened to be Shutouts, he played 4 "ehh" and gave up several weak goals(game 1 ot Winner for instance lets not mention the other 4 goals of game 1 while we're at it) People can cling to his "3 shutouts" as if that somehow gives him a pass on how mediocre he was the rest of that series. I gues SJ could say the same this year, "we were great for 3 games how did we lose" So how that doesn't really work?
His Detroit Series was Atrocious, as were the two Avs series.
He cost us 3 playoff series all by himself.

With Turco as our #1, we won 3 playoff series(none of which i Would say he stole or attribute in any large part to him)
and Lost 5, and missed the playoffs 2 times, On some of the Best teams tin the NHL. Yes his body of success is miles ahead of Lehtonen who's kept us in it the hunt for a playoff spot with a mostly mediocre team in front of him for 3 years.

The absolute worst thing about Turco is that the Teams he was on never actually needed him to stand on his head, just be solid and he couldn't even do that.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Turco had a few stinkers but for the most part he was a great playoff goaltender. His team played like complete crap in front of him for a number of series he lost. Lehtonen has accomplished next to nothing when it matters most. My god that is crazy talk. To say that Turco never stood on his head is complete and utter revisionist BS.

Brand New Stars

Lol. Lehtonen over Turco? That's as insane as it gets.

Blaming the Canucks series on Turco is just stupid. The offense on that Stars team was pathetic.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
This guy is insane.

Check the numbers pal. Turco's losses vs Van in '07:
2-1 (OT)
2-1
5-4 (4 OT)
4-1 (2 EMPTY NETTERS)

So in our 4 losses that series, he let in 11 goals in 16 1/4 periods of hockey. So 5 1/3 games. That's a G.A.A. of a you know what hair over 2.00.

Wow. He was terrible. Maybe if our boys could have mustered up more than one goal in that game 7 we would have won that series.

And you're really going to blame him for that '08 loss vs Detroit, the eventual Cup Champ?

The only losses playoff losses this TEAM needs to hang their heads for are the ones vs the Avs.

You have zero case for Lehtonen here. The only case that can be made is if someone is in the opinion that he's better than Turco was, but there's zero evidence to back that up.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad