Speculation: Dallas Stars - All Time Team?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Klockis

Loyalty personified
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
Nemeth-Nemeth-Nemeth
Nemeth-Nemeth-Nemeth
Nemeth-Nemeth-Nemeth
Nemeth-Nemeth-Nemeth

Nemeth-Nemeth
Nemeth-Nemeth
Nemeth-Nemeth

Nemeth
Nemeth

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
He definitely had a win, not saying Turco wouldn't be ahead. He would. It just wouldn't be as far ahead.

Prior to those years it was similar to Kari's situation in the whole team either not being that good or not playing up to potential.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Plenty to break down between the two. No doubt Turco started his career off with a better squad in front of him. He was dynamite though. Can't really take anything away from him.

If we want to sit and get to the bare bones of it all, Kari is very close when we're talking just how good each goalie is. That's a close call and there is an argument to be made, though I'd still say Marty. When making a team like this though, even if that one is a draw, Marty is the easy choice based on significance and numbers and everything that matters. Can't really cut it any other way.

Cold Medicine

Apr 4, 2014
In the '07 loss to the Canucks:

Goalie|Save %|Goals Allowed|Shots Against
Turco|.952|11|229
Luongo|.950|12|240

Giguere beat the Canucks in the next round with a .948 save %; Luongo's save % was just .930%. Anaheim won because they could score and the Stars lost because they couldn't.

Turco had a Vezina trophy worthy 02-03 regular season. He had much better numbers than Brodeur (so did Belfour) but played far fewer games.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Didn't Turco set the GAA record that season, 1.72? Had to be around there, I think.

Also, in the Nucks/Stars series, I think he was either the first or second ever to record three shutouts in one series and still lose.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
He did, and then it was beaten by Kiprusoff the year after, height of the dead puck era etc. It's still more impressive than anything Lehtonen did, though I think Lehtonen is a more talented player.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
He did, and then it was beaten by Kiprusoff the year after, height of the dead puck era etc. It's still more impressive than anything Lehtonen did, though I think Lehtonen is a more talented player.

Nothing against Kipper that year as he played amazing, but he only play 30 something games. Turco played 55 I think

Anyways I think I'd rather Turco then Lehts, but it's pretty close. Loved his puck handling skills

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Yeah I always thought it was only a matter of time before Turco scored a goal, the way he so expertly handled the puck. I mean if Mike freakin' Smith could pot one, surely Turco could've. Never happened though. :(

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I probably go like this ...

B Morrow (A) - M Modano (A) - J Lehtinen
J Benn - M Ribeiro - B Hull
L Eriksson - J Nieuwendyk - J Langenbrunner
S Ott - G Carbonneau - M Keane

D Hatcher (C) - S Zubov (A)
R Matvichuk - D Sydor
S Robidas - C Ludwig

E Belfour
M Turco
A Moog​

Can you imagine Ribeiro and Hull and Benn on a line? This team would ****ing destroy everybody and would walk to the Cup in 18 games.
Give me Dave Reid over Steve Ott, and dump Moog from the team. Moog was a really nice guy but not a good goalie for the Stars. And if Seguin even remotely keeps up his pace of play, he'll displace Riberio off the roster by November.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Give me Dave Reid over Steve Ott, and dump Moog from the team. Moog was a really nice guy but not a good goalie for the Stars. And if Seguin even remotely keeps up his pace of play, he'll displace Riberio off the roster by November.
Love me some Dave Reid. I have/had (haven't seen it in a while) his jersey hanging in the closet. He and Matvichuk and Ludwig and Hatcher and Carbonneau were the absolute MEN of that Cup team. But Reid played in Texas for 3 years and Ott did 10. Same reason I rate Robidas ahead of Tinordi/Norstrom, both of whom were better than Robidas but aren't nearly as ... I dunno, "iconic" or something.

Seguin is skillful and exciting, but doesn't do nearly as good an interview on The Ticket. He takes Ribby's place when he plays like that for 4 more years or carries the team deep into the playoffs, whichever comes first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad