Speculation: Dallas moves to clear cap if Bishop is healthy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Bishop has been practising for quite a while but he was never actually in game shape. The last time he tried was during the bubble and he was nowhere near ready for it. His knee is good enough to practise but games ? Not really.

If he appears in a pre-season game this becomes a topic. RIght now ? Nope.

Reactions: Magic Mittens

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Bishop's AAV, $4.917

A tight fit that leaves little flexibility if smaller injuries occur which it almost certainly will. Plus, will Bishop even okay going there in any real capacity? That's a tough say. I think given that tweet, they can make Khudobin fit but Bishop is probably a bit too tight to go with.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
No one is taking on Bishop's contract at 4.9 and he has a NMC.

Khudobin to Buffalo is a good call - Sabres need a NHL goalie and it wouldn't cost them since Dallas is in a spot.
They would go with a 22 man even with the move.

Arizona could be another trade partner.

Edmonton could be another team, but they need Koskinen gone.
That last bit is the killer

For the Oilers to get a Dallas goalie, not only would they have to give up assets to get him, but they would have to give up assets to move Koskinen. I understand that the Oilers have cap space to keep Koskinen and add another goalie, but I just don't see them doing that.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Ottawa is not acquiring a goalie or taking on a bunch of unnecessary salary. LOL. Get a grip. If Ottawa does anything at this point it would be to send out Tierney and try to get a better center in return.

As mentioned, Edmonton makes sense, or maybe some type of three way trade where Ottawa gets their Center from someone else

Edit: I just checked the Dallas roster and nothing makes sense for Ottawa. Pavelski, sure. But that would only open like 3.5M for Dallas and Pavelski has an NTC that almost certainly doesn't have Ottawa on it. Ottawa could send out a cheap goalie and take on a different one in exchange for help elsewhere, but not one with term, so no Khhudobin and no Bishop. They could take Kosinen, but they're not going to take on a worse, older, goalie with an additional 3.5M in salary and cap hit out of the goodness of their hearts.

Honestly, the best option might be Buffalo. Send out Bishop/Khudobin Klingberg, and a ton of picks/prospects for Eichel. Sabres do a side deal for Klingberg to get the rest of the package they want for Eichel. Dallas would still be over the cap, but Eichel will be on the IR all season, so it won't matter, and by next season Radulov and Pavelski will likely be gone or re-signed to much lower cap hits.

Last edited:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Wouldnt be surprised if its actually Bishop who gets traded.

Could be sent to a team like edmonton as a low cost trade for conditional picks with potential high reward in the 2nd half of the year.

I get the sense by November Dallas will want Oettinger to be the guy, and keep Khudobin/holtby behind him.

That should've been the plan even before they signed Holtby.

That signing raised eyebrows across the league, because no one could figure out what Dallas was trying to do. Oettinger and Khudobin worked in tandem last season, albeit in a futile effort as the Stars limped their way to an early offseason.

Bishop's been a complete non-factor since Game 5 against Colorado, and I don't think too many were expecting him to be involved this year either although that may have changed.

But this logjam in net was completely preventable, and now the Stars' brass has to deal with the reality of demoting their heir apparent for no other reason than to make room for someone they didn't really need.

Either that, or figure out a trade or two to clear room that way.

Reactions: Dynamite Time

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
A lot of Bolts fans were upset when we let Bishop go, and went with a relatively unproven Vasilevsky. 2 SC, 1 Vezina (plus multiple finalist), and one Com Smyth later it was the right move.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
It seems like they have limited options at this stage. I suppose you could see Arizona, Buffalo, Edmonton, and Pittsburgh with the desire but Pittsburgh would need to create cap space to make that happen as would Edmonton to a lesser degree. Arizona, Buffalo, and Edmonton could all be on Bishop's no-trade list so then what?
The OP seems to assume Dallas wants to keep Bishop for now. At least that's what the quoted tweet implies, highlighting Bishop and C. Point.

I read it as the $3m they need to shed could be any player(s). That said, moving one or two surplus goalies sure would be the logical starting point.

Same problem could conceivably exist if you try to move Khudobin. I can't imagine Arizona or Buffalo picking either up off waivers. They know what they're doing and they may not want to spend the money for at best a future asset down the line. Tough spot for Dallas to be in.
With Bishop, Khudobin, Holtby, Oettinger, Point, it sure is hard to spot any coherent goaltending plan there.

If they don't/can't have any yet, what non-goalie $3m worth of cap space could they move to buy time? I can't readily see who'd be expendable, or then desirable without having to add non-trivial assets along.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Point should be getting starters minutes in Texas; he hasn't shown a whole heck of a lot since his draft year.

But he's only 23, still some time to improve. Dallas sat on Jack Campbell for years before moving on, and Colton Point could be another example of a goalie who flourishes elsewhere.

Also thought Landon Bow was still in the mix but I see he's a UFA now.

Don't know much about Scheel but he's an option for Texas as well.

Either way, still a significant logjam up top and Dallas has some work to do.....especially if Bishop is actually healthy. :laugh:

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Point should be getting starters minutes in Texas; he hasn't shown a whole heck of a lot since his draft year.

But he's only 23, still some time to improve. Dallas sat on Jack Campbell for years before moving on, and Colton Point could be another example of a goalie who flourishes elsewhere.

Also thought Landon Bow was still in the mix but I see he's a UFA now.

Don't know much about Scheel but he's an option for Texas as well.

Either way, still a significant logjam up top and Dallas has some work to do.....especially if Bishop is actually healthy. :laugh:

Point hasn’t put up a save percentage over .900 since 2017/18. He should not be starting in Texas that’s a great way to sink their season

Reactions: Stubu

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Point hasn’t put up a save percentage over .900 since 2017/18. He should not be starting in Texas that’s a great way to sink their season

Yeah, pretty underwhelming numbers, no doubt.

Thought maybe a trial by fire would snap him out of this funk though.

Would much rather see him get the starting gig down there instead of Oettinger, at any rate. Or platoon with Scheel I guess.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

LASTAR

Mar 9, 2004
There is no story here until Bishop plays in a pre-season game. I love his game and the first 3 years here in Dallas, but he has had at least 2 knee surgeries, and maybe even a year of rehab (since his playoff debacle) and he doesn't trust his knees.

The situation at Goal for the club is also fairly straightforward. Oettinger was great last year, but with a stacked team (after healing from injuries) they don't trust him to win a cup this year. Khudobin was able to hold it together a season ago and Holtby won the cup. They are betting on Holtby holding up with their defensive first game (time will tell). Ideally, Oettinger plays all year with Texas and has a long run through the playoffs. Point fell off the path 2 years ago and hasn't shown a reason to expect that he is even an AHL goalie in a while.

For Dallas, this is a key year as it is likely that some combination of Klingberg, Pavelski, and Radulov won't be around next year, and the two 9.5m+ players will be a year older.

JC0720

Jul 5, 2018
Wouldnt be surprised if its actually Bishop who gets traded.

Could be sent to a team like edmonton as a low cost trade for conditional picks with potential high reward in the 2nd half of the year.

I get the sense by November Dallas will want Oettinger to be the guy, and keep Khudobin/holtby behind him.

I would honestly love to see this. I like Bishop, but he's extremely high risk/high reward. When he's healthy, he's good, so maybe maximize the return while you can and let someone else deal with the inevitable injury. Oettinger is the future, so lets turn the page on Bishop.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I would honestly love to see this. I like Bishop, but he's extremely high risk/high reward. When he's healthy, he's good, so maybe maximize the return while you can and let someone else deal with the inevitable injury. Oettinger is the future, so lets turn the page on Bishop.

Then they're still left with Oettinger, Dobby and Holtby on the roster, with only two spots to fill.

It's looking more and more like the team is planning on demoting Oettinger, which still makes absolutely no sense, but at this point it's more likely to happen than Nill trading away two goalies.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Stars had Lehtonen in goal in practise today. Beeing in practise means absolutely nothing .

Reactions: Johno

Stars27

Aug 23, 2013
To Dallas:
Phil Kessel (50% retained)
Total: 3.4aav

To Arizona:
Ben Bishop
Andrej Sekera
Total: 6.4aav

Kessel had requested a trade.
Arizona has 0 NHL caliber goalies.
DAL is combined 24th in GF/gp last 2yrs.

Where do we sign?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad