Speculation: Dallas moves to clear cap if Bishop is healthy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It appears Bishop is fully practicing with the team in training camp, which would suggest he may not be heading to LTIR after all.

If he's healthy that leaves Dallas roughly $3m over the cap with a 23 player roster and assuming Holtby is buried. What moves do you think Dallas would look at if Bishop is healthy?

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Wouldnt be surprised if its actually Bishop who gets traded.

Could be sent to a team like edmonton as a low cost trade for conditional picks with potential high reward in the 2nd half of the year.

I get the sense by November Dallas will want Oettinger to be the guy, and keep Khudobin/holtby behind him.

Reactions: yzerman

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They'd probably have to pay someone to take Koskinen off their hands then, as Dallas wouldn't want him in return as part of the deal.
I'm not sure about all the timing, but the latest report is we could have close to 5mil in LTIR cap relief. So we probably could just waive Koskinen

Reactions: voxel and yzerman

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Why did Dallas even sign him in the first place? They don’t trust Oettinger?

Reactions: Morrison

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It seems like they have limited options at this stage. I suppose you could see Arizona, Buffalo, Edmonton, and Pittsburgh with the desire but Pittsburgh would need to create cap space to make that happen as would Edmonton to a lesser degree. Arizona, Buffalo, and Edmonton could all be on Bishop's no-trade list so then what? Same problem could conceivably exist if you try to move Khudobin. I can't imagine Arizona or Buffalo picking either up off waivers. They know what they're doing and they may not want to spend the money for at best a future asset down the line. Tough spot for Dallas to be in.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
If Bishop is healthy and can play again, theres no way Dallas moves him lol. Healthy Bishop is or at least was one of the top goalies

I think Nill would love to have this problem, but as a Stars fan i'll believe it when i see it that Bishop is healthy

I was listening to a podcast about Bishop's knee injury, and apparently he had to relearn to walk again on his right leg

Reactions: banks

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
They'd probably have to pay someone to take Koskinen off their hands then, as Dallas wouldn't want him in return as part of the deal.

I would be willing to help our old friends Jim Nill and Ken Holland, as long as some nice assets are coming Detroit's way to help their cap situations. Yzerman has plenty of space.

For the record I also don't really believe Bishop can stay healthy, though I wish him luck with it.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Dallas reallllly got themselves a lot of goalies, huh?

Oettinger
Holtby
Bishop
Khudobin

All are at minimim backup level. Why did they even sign Holtby? Was Khudobin's health in doubt in the offseason? Bishop's obviously was but they would've already had Khudobin and Oettinger at that point...

SI

Feb 16, 2013
No one is taking on Bishop's contract at 4.9 and he has a NMC.

Khudobin to Buffalo is a good call - Sabres need a NHL goalie and it wouldn't cost them since Dallas is in a spot.
They would go with a 22 man even with the move.

Arizona could be another trade partner.

Edmonton could be another team, but they need Koskinen gone.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Bishop is done.
F73.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad