Proposal: Dallas - Calgary

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Monahan's production isn't even that bad. He had a rough start, but has now recovered to 9 points in his last 14 games. That's right where he should be with his ice time.

That being said, assuming that Gaudreau and Tkachuk are both staying, Monahan has to be dealt. I don't see this as the deal. I think the Flames can probably find a taker for Monahan, with only 1 year left on his contract. Worst case scenario, they retain 2 million.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Monahan's production isn't even that bad. He had a rough start, but has now recovered to 9 points in his last 14 games. That's right where he should be with his ice time.

That being said, assuming that Gaudreau and Tkachuk are both staying, Monahan has to be dealt. I don't see this as the deal. I think the Flames can probably find a taker for Monahan, with only 1 year left on his contract. Worst case scenario, they retain 2 million.
Retaining 2M would work. We do have the Zadorov 3.75M, Pitlick 1.7M and the Browsy buyout (1.5) coming off the books. Just under 7M in space. Add is 4.3M for Monahan with 2M retention and it's enough for the raises and a low end 3C to replace Monahan and a 6D to replace Zadorov.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I could see Calgary possibly being interested in Seguin, but I can't imagine Dallas would retain 50%...

To Calgary: Seguin, Klingberg

To Dallas: Monahan, Lucic, Pitlick

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Seguin centering Andrew Mangiapane would be noice.

Calgary can’t take term though, based on the amount of guys that have to be paid this summer.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I could see Calgary possibly being interested in Seguin, but I can't imagine Dallas would retain 50%...

Ummm what’s the reason for Dallas to do this? Think they’d rather trade klingberg at the deadline if they were going to move him. As good as Lucic and Pitlick are lol

Dallas should rebuild anyways

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Ummm what’s the reason for Dallas to do this? Think they’d rather trade klingberg at the deadline if they were going to move him. As good as Lucic and Pitlick are lol

Just stop and think for a moment. How cool is it calling a player Pitlick. Once you think a bit about that get back to us on the trade...

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

Don't see the Flames doing that for:
1. Lucic is a very valuable member of the team now.
2. This opens up about 1.8 million in cap next year, but then ties up $9.850 in cap for the next three years after that.

The only way it happens is if Sutter sees something in Seguin that suggests he can turn his game around. Otherwise that Seguin contract is a massive anchor for many years, and basically prevents the Flames from competing.

The Flames are just better off moving one of Lucic or Monahan next year, and potentially retaining. Lucic, after his bonus is only paid $850k, which is manageable for a cap team. Monahan with $2 million retained looks pretty great.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

They get out of Seguin's contract.

Ledge And Dairy

One of Lucic or Monahan has to go to keep the others. That or we trade Tkachuk for a RW making less and a pick.
Lucic shouldn't cost more than a 2nd to move after July 1st since there will definitely be teams trying to reach the floor and he is still a capable NHL role player with a positive WAR over the last couple years. Think a bit better than Stralman trade

Ledge And Dairy

Simply put no GM is stupid enough to retain this much for that much term. Seguin probably wouldn't waive anyways/

Personally I would rather go after Toews at the deadline (assuming Chicago isn't a contender). Being from western Canada and having a very high compete level he seems way more likely to waive to Calgary than Seguin. He's also not a long term investment and would probably pair really well with Mangiapane. Also he is like a top 5 face off guy in the entire NHL and we could really use that for our PP1

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Lucic shouldn't cost more than a 2nd to move after July 1st since there will definitely be teams trying to reach the floor and he is still a capable NHL role player with a positive WAR over the last couple years. Think a bit better than Stralman trade
Agreed. The challenge will be finding a team with the cap space that he'll waive for. If I was him I'm not waiving for an Arizona, Detroit, Ottawa or Buffalo.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Agreed. The challenge will be finding a team with the cap space that he'll waive for. If I was him I'm not waiving for an Arizona, Detroit, Ottawa or Buffalo.

Seattle.

Lucic wants to play close to home, in Vancouver. There's nowhere closer. I could see Lucic wanting to go anywhere on the West Coast. He really seemed to like his time in LA.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Simply put no GM is stupid enough to retain this much for that much term. Seguin probably wouldn't waive anyways/

Personally I would rather go after Toews at the deadline (assuming Chicago isn't a contender). Being from western Canada and having a very high compete level he seems way more likely to waive to Calgary than Seguin. He's also not a long term investment and would probably pair really well with Mangiapane. Also he is like a top 5 face off guy in the entire NHL and we could really use that for our PP1
Please explain how we could afford that next year. We couldn’t even afford it if we traded Monahan and Lucic

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Seattle.

Lucic wants to play close to home, in Vancouver. There's nowhere closer. I could see Lucic wanting to go anywhere on the West Coast. He really seemed to like his time in LA.
I never considered Seattle. They could have a hard time getting to the floor particularly if they offload one of their big forwards or gio doesn't re-sign.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Calgary sends:
The Corpse of Sean Monahan (6.35Mx2Y)

Dallas sends:
The Corpse of Tyler Seguin @ 50% retained (4.925Mx6Y)

Why for Dallas - Get out from at least part of a probably terrible long term contract, some upside that Monahan returns to form and can be flipped at the 2023 deadline for draft picks en route to their inevitable rebuild

Why for Calgary: 1.425 in immediate cap savings that can go towards paying their stars + add a much-needed RHS to the PP, some upside that Seguin returns to form this year.

So Dallas spends nearly $11M on 2 corpses (one not playing for them) for 2 years and then continues to pay nearly $5M for the 2nd one for an additional 4 for not playing for them?

Sounds fiscally responsible.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

I'm sure those 4 teams would be just devastated that milan lucic won't waive for them

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I doubt the Stars retain for that long… it would certainly help level the playing field with their no state income tax advantage.

Seguin says a big ‘hell no’, the amount of extra income tax he would pay is significant. $1.1m this year based on Cap Friendly’s Calculator

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Calgary sends:
The Corpse of Sean Monahan (6.35Mx2Y)

Dallas sends:
The Corpse of Tyler Seguin @ 50% retained (4.925Mx6Y)

Why for Dallas - Get out from at least part of a probably terrible long term contract, some upside that Monahan returns to form and can be flipped at the 2023 deadline for draft picks en route to their inevitable rebuild

Why for Calgary: 1.425 in immediate cap savings that can go towards paying their stars + add a much-needed RHS to the PP, some upside that Seguin returns to form this year.
see below

TO CGY:
T. Seguin 6yrs @ 5.983M (60.75%)

TO DAL:
S. Mohanan 2yrs @ 6.350M
+Seguin's RET. 6yrs @ 3.867M (39.25%)

both on an investment of 35.900M

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'm sure those 4 teams would be just devastated that milan lucic won't waive for them
Lots of teams want a guy who can score them 15 goals, be a nuclear deterrent and play a responsible game. Apparently he is also good in the room. If the cap hit doesn't matter to a budget team why wouldn't they want him for 850K? He was on pace for 15 last year and is on pace for 20 this year in a 4th line role. How many 4th liners score like that?

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

What on earth is this? In what world does Dallas even consider this?

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Save the drama for your mama...

Seguin's got one of the worst contracts in the league... he's a cap dump at this point
His contract isnt great but the Dallas system is an offensive blackhole. Bassically everyone on the team took an offensive hit when we switched to Monty's system and then even more when Bowness took over. Seguin is not a full on anchor, and nowhere near bad enough to warrant tossing in Klingberg just to move him.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad