Proposal: Dallas - Calgary

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Calgary sends:
The Corpse of Sean Monahan (6.35Mx2Y)

Dallas sends:
The Corpse of Tyler Seguin @ 50% retained (4.925Mx6Y)

Why for Dallas - Get out from at least part of a probably terrible long term contract, some upside that Monahan returns to form and can be flipped at the 2023 deadline for draft picks en route to their inevitable rebuild

Why for Calgary: 1.425 in immediate cap savings that can go towards paying their stars + add a much-needed RHS to the PP, some upside that Seguin returns to form this year.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Calgary sends:

Dallas sends:

Why for Dallas - Get out from at least part of a probably terrible long term contract, some upside that Monahan returns to form and can be flipped at the 2023 deadline for draft picks en route to their inevitable rebuild

Why for Calgary: 1.425 in immediate cap savings that can go towards paying their stars + add a much-needed RHS to the PP, some upside that Seguin returns to form this year.

I wouldn't invest 6 years in Seguin personally. Monahan is more or less same value, but gone sooner.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Calgary sends:

Dallas sends:

Wow. That’s awful for Dallas. Calgary adding a least a 1st and top prospect to get that much retention on a long term contract while getting rid of the terrible Monahan contract without retention.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Can't imagine Dallas is interested in this. I'm sure they'd do it straight up without retention. Calgary needs to lose Monahan or Lucic without taking a contract back this offseason.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Calgary sends:

Dallas sends:

I wouldn’t do this trade from the Stars perspective, eating Seguin’s salary for that long isn’t good business, while taking on 2 seasons of Monahan.

Seguin is coming off hip surgery so I could see why Seguin wouldn’t be 100%, but Seguin does have 5G-4A-9Pts in 16 games played and leads all Stars forwards in ice time. Most of Seguin’s numbers look respectable as well except for his possession quality which is a little down.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Overmankingainer strikes again

The Stars are seriously going to retain 5 million for 6 years (!!!) to downgrade from Seguin to Monahan?
At first I thought it was just a Seguin for Monahan swap and even that I think Dallas turns down, Seguin is the superior player and with their aging core they're trying to win now. The retention makes it ludicrous.

So blatantly favored in Calgary's favor

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Overmankingainer strikes again

The Stars are seriously going to retain 5 million for 6 years (!!!) to downgrade from Seguin to Monahan?
At first I thought it was just a Seguin for Monahan swap and even that I think Dallas turns down, Seguin is the superior player and with their aging core they're trying to win now. The retention makes it ludicrous.

So blatantly favored in Calgary's favor
The truth is somewhere in the middle of your extreme take and his. If Monahan was offered for Seguin the Stars would take it all day long. If they are retaining half Seguin's cap hit they would never consider it.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
No thanks. He’s not the piece we need.

we need either:

A) High end talent free agents ie Hertl

Or

B) Internal promotion ie Pelletier, Phillips

Or both.

Reactions: Volica

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
No thanks. He’s not the piece we need.

we need either:

A) High end talent free agents ie Hertl

Or

B) Internal promotion ie Pelletier, Phillips

Or both.
This is correct 100%. We have a pretty good top 6. Our bottom 6 group is pretty plain jane. I wonder if players like Ruzicka, Gawdin, Phillips or Pelletier might not be upgrades. Also Mackey over Valimaki or Zadorov.

Guys like Forsberg, Hertl, Rakell are all interesting too.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Wow Dallas gets to take on Monahan’s crap contract and we also get to retain half on Seguin’s crap contract. What an opportunity

crap contract? Lol he's a 27 yo UFA on July 1st 2023. An inevitably rebuilding team like Dallas would still get a 1st for him at the 2023 deadline if he can up his level of play by like 20% from where he's played the last few weeks coming off... the same surgery Seguin had.

And when Seguin inevitably hits LTIRetirement, both teams get off scott-free on the "retained" salary.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If Dallas wants to dump Seguin what about Seguin (after signing bonus paid) to Arizona for Schmaltz? Save 4M in cap and 1 less year on the deal. Obviously get the worse player but he's younger and might hold up better the next few years. For Arizona they can afford the extra cap, get a big name for the fans and after the SB is paid the cash between the 2 is very similar.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I don't see how Seguin is the superior player. I just don't. He's just as broken as Monahan is at this point, and isn't producing despite playing 19 minutes a game with a combo of Benn/Radulov/Gurianov. Monahan atleast has the ability to point to playing in the bottom six with Trevor Lewis, Tyler Pitlick, etc.. for his lack of production.

I also it makes zero sense for Dallas to retain so much salary.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
No way Dallas even considers eating 50% for that long, I'd be surprised if they'd even eat 1 million at this point Seguin is more likely to get bought out or buried on the LTIR

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
There is no way the Flames could afford this and there's no way the Stars would ever retain that much. From the Flames perspective we are legit going to have to dump Monahan just to be able to re-sign Chucky Johnny Mang and Kylington, no way we can afford even another 3 mil player. Even if we dumped Lucic we'd have basically no room

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
There is no way the Flames could afford this and there's no way the Stars would ever retain that much. From the Flames perspective we are legit going to have to dump Monahan just to be able to re-sign Chucky Johnny Mang and Kylington, no way we can afford even another 3 mil player. Even if we dumped Lucic we'd have basically no room
One of Lucic or Monahan has to go to keep the others. That or we trade Tkachuk for a RW making less and a pick.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad