Confirmed Signing with Link: [DAL] Stars sign Jiri Hudler (1 yr, $2M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
They weren't a real threat last year. They beat an 86 point Mini team in the playoffs, were 20th in GAA, are minus Gogo/Demers, and have the same goalies. They are not a threat with that D and goal tending but they will rack up points in the regular season and be fun to watch.[/QUOTE]

Same was said of the Pens last year

If anyone knew Murray would do that well in the playoffs, maybe people wouldn't have said that about the Penguins. Did anyone have Pittsburgh in the Final in December? Even January? Outside of the usual, well any team with Crosby and Malkin has a chance.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
They weren't a real threat last year. They beat an 86 point Mini team in the playoffs, were 20th in GAA, are minus Gogo/Demers, and have the same goalies. They are not a threat with that D and goal tending but they will rack up points in the regular season and be fun to watch.

They took 2nd in the West St Louis to game 7 in the second round.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
unless Nuke is bolting for KHL, who is sitting around saying "hmm, we need more offense?"

Nill is placing a lot of hopes on a patchwork D and a lot of rookies and hoping a lot of scoring can win them a cup when it couldnt win them two rounds

Granted Seguin was out, lack of scoring was not their downfall. Keeping the puck out of their net was. They BARELY got by Minnesota who is by no means an offensive force in the west

As you get further down the playoffs, the good teams and coaches figure out a way to neutralize the offenses. The teams that fail to do the same are the ones that get knocked out

I don't understand your post. Are you asking why Nill would want to improve his roster? Hudler does that. Hudler makes the team better.

Of course, the team needs better goaltending and defenders. We know that. Nill knows that. But maybe that's just not available.

The team had the cap space to sign Hudler. Hudler also isn't taking a job from a better player. It's not like there was a goalie or defender to be had for that $2 million who was going to help the roster. So what's the downside?

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
I don't understand your post. Are you asking why Nill would want to improve his roster? Hudler does that. Hudler makes the team better.

Of course, the team needs better goaltending and defenders. We know that. Nill knows that. But maybe that's just not available.

The team had the cap space to sign Hudler. Hudler also isn't taking a job from a better player. It's not like there was a goalie or defender to be had for that $2 million who was going to help the roster. So what's the downside?

:handclap:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Without Seguin who got hurt

If you're going to say that, you could also say it took Dallas 6 games to beat a Wild team without Parise. They also gave up 17 goals in the 6 games without Parise. Could throw Vanek in there if you want too. Even though he's Thomas Vanek, he was still 4th on the Wild in goals during the regular season.

We're all fans, and we all do that to some degree. It depends on what you want to focus on. Which narrative you want to use. Every team wins within a certain context, and as fans we sometimes pick and choose. Some guy on the other team gets hurt, someone isn't producing, someone comes out of nowhere to have a big series, some teams can't overcome an injury, some can. One year they will, the next year they wouldn't. If Pittsburgh lost a top 4 defenseman again in the playoffs this year, would they seamlessly continue on as if nothing happened again? Maybe, maybe not. No two seasons are alike. Kuznetsov couldn't score against the Flyers either, so did Pittsburgh do anything special?

serp

Jan 17, 2016

Exactly . You sign a guy for that cheap that potentially improves you team whether he's a giant need or not.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
If you're going to say that, you could also say it took Dallas 6 games to beat a Wild team without Parise. They also gave up 17 goals in the 6 games without Parise. Could throw Vanek in there if you want too. Even though he's Thomas Vanek, he was still 4th on the Wild in goals during the regular season.

We're all fans, and we all do that to some degree. It depends on what you want to focus on. Which narrative you want to use. Every team wins within a certain context, and as fans we sometimes pick and choose. Some guy on the other team gets hurt, someone isn't producing, someone comes out of nowhere to have a big series, some teams can't overcome an injury, some can. One year they will, the next year they wouldn't. If Pittsburgh lost a top 4 defenseman again in the playoffs this year, would they seamlessly continue on as if nothing happened again? Maybe, maybe not. No two seasons are alike. Kuznetsov couldn't score against the Flyers either, so did Pittsburgh do anything special?
If you're going to bring up the Minnesota series, don't ignore the St Louis series.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
The #2 & #3 blueliners on Dallas last season is not saying a whole lot. So we lost Demers, Goligoski and Russell but we gained Hamhuis who we need to be a defensive defenseman than skating the puck coast to coast, we already have Klingberg. Our Defense already looks better than it did last season. Plus with Lindell having an almost 99% (baring injury or under performing in camp) to make the roster and Honka knocking on the door (assuming he won't be moved).
I still don't get how losing 3 NHL blueliners and gaining 1 is a good thing. Especially on a blueline that wasn't stellar to begin with.

Dallas has great young talent, I just stand by the idea that I rookies shouldn't be playing top blueline minutes.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I still don't get how losing 3 NHL blueliners and gaining 1 is a good thing. Especially on a blueline that wasn't stellar to begin with.

Dallas has great young talent, I just stand by the idea that I rookies shouldn't be playing top blueline minutes.

But they're not going to. Johns is the only "rookie" slated for a top 4 spot, but he's what, 6 years removed from his draft year now? And he looked fine in that role for roughly 20 games last year.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If you're going to bring up the Minnesota series, don't ignore the St Louis series.

The series where they were outscored 25-14, and lost Game 7 at home 6-1? To a team that was able to hold Kane and Toews to just 1 combined goal, but still had to go 7 games to beat Chicago, who had pretty much been a 1 line team all year? What if St.Louis wasn't all that good? I mean, they did lose to a Pacific division team in the 3rd round.

That can be done all day for every team. The same way you can say Dallas overcame an injury to maybe their best player, along with questions on defense and in goal, to go 13 games deep into the playoffs, and only lost to a team riding an emotional high after beating a long time rival to break through a multi-season mental barrier.

For the Kings in the 2014 playoffs, you can say they went on a fairly ridiculous run, overcoming multiple obstacles in one playoff season. Or you can say they managed to put themselves in many bad spots where they would teeter on the edge consistently. As fans, we tend to focus on the good parts, which only makes total sense.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

This is mostly right, but our blueline was pretty stellar last year. 2 legit top pair guys, 3 others who played top 4 minutes on an NHL team last year and the year before, plus Johns who looked pretty solid. Dallas hasn't had a defense as good since the last time the team won a playoff series and that isn't a coincidence.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

Precisely because it wasn't stellar to begin with. That defense core wasn't going to ever get it done the way it was constructed so instead of re-signing guys to long-term contracts they weren't re-signed . Now if the green defense we have now is an improvement is an entirely different question but its going to be a different defense .

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The series where they were outscored 25-14, and lost Game 7 at home 6-1? To a team that was able to hold Kane and Toews to just 1 combined goal, but still had to go 7 games to beat Chicago, who had pretty much been a 1 line team all year? What if St.Louis wasn't all that good? I mean, they did lose to a Pacific division team in the 3rd round.

That can be done all day for every team. The same way you can say Dallas overcame an injury to maybe their best player, along with questions on defense and in goal, to go 13 games deep into the playoffs, and only lost to a team riding an emotional high after beating a long time rival to break through a multi-season mental barrier.

For the Kings in the 2014 playoffs, you can say they went on a fairly ridiculous run, overcoming multiple obstacles in one playoff season. Or you can say they managed to put themselves in many bad spots where they would teeter on the edge consistently. As fans, we tend to focus on the good parts, which only makes total sense.

Exactly, the Blues were the much better team. The Blues went on to lose to the sharks who lost to the Pens. The Dallas blue line is worse at the moment and the Goalies are the same. They could be the next Colorado/Calgary with their regression this year. With that offense, they likely make the playoffs, but with that defense/goalie, they won't go very far. They will be a blast to watch though!

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Yea, its not like our goalies got us to within one game of the conference finals this past season or anything crazy like that.
serious post?
I'd assume so since it's true.

Well yeah it's a true statement, but in response to criticisms of Dallas' goaltending situation, which is entirely valid. It's less than reliable, and not good value for their dollar. If they could find a way to improve their crease from a talent perspective and from a cap perspective, it might even afford them the wiggle-room to bolster their blueline.

Acting like the goaltending situation is great, and has no room for improvement, makes me certainly question whether a post is serious or not. Dallas' ability to reduce goals against next year is really the only question mark, and the only thing that could hold them back from being the most feared team in the league. That starts in goal.

Maybe it's a semantics thing though, as the original post basically said the Stars should improve if they plan on getting out of the first round. Keep in mind, there's a big difference between "hope to" and "plan to". If they hope to, sure, stick with status quo, and maybe they will. If they plan to, they should be making every effort to eliminate or minimize all weaknesses, even if they have to sell the farm a little bit to do so.

I guess it depends on what fans really want/expect, or how long the team thinks their window is.

Last edited:

account deactivated

Finns > Swedes
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Well yeah it's a true statement, but in response to criticisms of Dallas' goaltending situation, which is entirely valid. It's less than reliable, and not good value for their dollar. If they could find a way to improve their crease from a talent perspective and from a cap perspective, it might even afford them the wiggle-room to bolster their blueline.

Acting like the goaltending situation is great, and has no room for improvement, makes me certainly question whether a post is serious or not. Dallas' ability to reduce goals against next year is really the only question mark, and the only thing that could hold them back from being the most feared team in the league. That starts in goal.

Maybe it's a semantics thing though, as the original post basically said the Stars should improve if they plan on getting out of the first round. Keep in mind, there's a big difference between "hope to" and "plan to". If they hope to, sure, stick with status quo, and maybe they will. If they plan to, they should be making every effort to eliminate or minimize all weaknesses, even if they have to sell the farm a little bit to do so.

I guess it depends on what fans really want/expect, or how long the team thinks their window is.

I assume that Nill's plan will be much like it has been since he started running the team.

- Make a move or two during the offseason for pieces he wants and can obtain relatively cheap or through free agency.
- Start the season and see how it goes.
- Make trades where he is able to rather than panicking and making desperation moves prior to the start of things.

With the upcoming expansion draft, I'm sure there will be moves throughout the season as teams solidify their keepers and Nill may be looking to wait for that point if the team can be competitive without any major moves to start the season. We're still over a month away from the start of the season, so he may be sniffing around to see what's out there already.

Most of what Nill has done has been great for the Stars, so I'll trust in his method even if it isn't always sexy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad