Value of: Dahlin for Karlsson

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Hawks desperately need cap relief. Why would they trade 7 years of cost-controlled Dahlin for Karlsson?

Hawks would at least have to add a contract or two going the other way, whether they were valuable pieces or not.

Not only that, but when Towes and Kane start coming coming into their twilight they'll still be getting great support from Dahlin. (Assuming he doesn't bust)

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Hawks desperately need cap relief. Why would they trade 7 years of cost-controlled Dahlin for Karlsson?

Hawks would at least have to add a contract or two going the other way, whether they were valuable pieces or not.
I laughed my ass off at 7 years of cost controlled Dahlin. My dude, 3 years max and then he gets a big ol' contract that shall make Chicago want to turn on him.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I hate this "one year of Karlsson" thing. I guarantee you that whatever team trades for him will make sure he is willing to sign an extension before they put the trade through. I'm not sure why everyone thinks he is set on hitting the UFA market. He just wants to be paid fair value while having security. He will never hit free agency.

But realistically no one would/should trade Dahlin.

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
Only player imo worth trading Dahlin for is McJesus, and thats if the team winning 1OA already have suuuuper strong defense (which they dont if they won the lottery). So no, no one is ever trading an 18 YO cost-controlled Dahlin.

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Karlsson's one of the top players in the game now. Dahlin looks good right now but is still a prospect, any team trading Dahlin would have to add IMO.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
It's been 15 years since the 1st overall has been traded. And with the exception of the Lindros earth shattering trade, it's been 25 years since the first pick has been traded where the team trading it away isn't just moving down a couple spots in the draft. When there's a lot of parity at the top of the draft, these sort of moves can happen. When there's a player like Dahlin at the top of the draft, it's not happening so no sense in talking about it. You can count on less than one hand the number of players that would return that pick and Karlsson is not one of them at this point in his career. Sens definitely add.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
If EK was signed for 7 more years, and could fit under the cap without ruining the team, then the Hawks would do it in a heartbeat. No question.

But the money side does exist. No way can they afford Karlsson next season. The cap makes it impossible. And then it gets worse with the chance Karlsson leaves after one year.

It would be awesome to see the Hawks Cup window open back up. But this just can't work. Not that keeping Dahlin would be a terrible fate.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Yeah, those who end up with Rasmus have 10 years of him until he is at Erik age - a team who win the lottery will never move him for Erik.
This logic assumes he'll definitely be as good as EK, which remains to be seen imo. I know it's almost sacrilegious but I don't think him being a beast in the NHL is a given. Yes, I get he's very young but his SHL numbers aren't all that crazy and his highlight reel play style isn't going to transfer easily to the NHL.

It's very likely he'll be a big producer anyway given his world class puck and skating skills, but EK is what he is for certain and Dahlin has to prove it.

Having said all that, no team that is eligible for the 1OA would benefit more from EK today than a possibility at a way younger at cheaper EK for years.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
I love hfboards when it comes to prospects.

Seriously! How does someone that has never played an NHL game have higher value than one of the best players in the game? Dahlin is not expected to be a generational talent like McD, or Crosby and if he does turn out to be that good he wont be cost controlled for seven years.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Considering Dahlin already being better than EK defensively, why would any team EVER consider this type of move.
Ridiculous.

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
Only player imo worth trading Dahlin for is McJesus, and thats if the team winning 1OA already have suuuuper strong defense (which they dont if they won the lottery). So no, no one is ever trading an 18 YO cost-controlled Dahlin.
But how do the Oilers trade Mcjesus for a player thats gonna be on their own team after the lottery??

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Seriously! How does someone that has never played an NHL game have higher value than one of the best players in the game? Dahlin is not expected to be a generational talent like McD, or Crosby and if he does turn out to be that good he wont be cost controlled for seven years.

1) Yes, he is.

2) I agree with you on this point. If Dahlin is what everyone thinks he is... you get an ELC that has a bunch of bonuses triggered in it and when that runs out, he gets a double digit millions annually contract like McDavid, Drai (not quite 10M, but damn close), Matthews, Eichel, etc.

That being said... a lottery team would not trade Dahlin for Karlsson because they're generally in the lottery for a reason. You get a Philadelphia miracle again and a playoff bubble team gets the #1OA? I see a trade being much more likely. If Arizona won the lottery, they could trade for Karlsson and he'd put them firmly in the bubble chase, which won't do much for them. Add Karlsson to a team like Philly that just missed? They look scary as hell.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Karlsson's one of the top players in the game now. Dahlin looks good right now but is still a prospect, any team trading Dahlin would have to add IMO.

Assuming Karlsson would sign (you assume any team making a deal for him would have reasonable assurance here), this is basically the defensive equivalent of trading Crosby for a freshly drafted Auston Matthews. Only difference is, defensemen face a much more difficult development curve and I would assume have a higher bust rate. As great as he is now go back 5 years and people were seeing Hedman approach disappointment territory. And if Dahlin does hit the ground running and work out like Matthews in the previous example, when his 3 years are up he could be signing a bigger deal than what Karlsson would be at assuming normal cap inflation.

Basically, as an Ottawa fan I'd take a re-signed Karlsson over a drafted Dahlin any day of the week. I would only entertain the deal if Karlsson made it clear he would not be resigning in Ottawa.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Considering Dahlin already being better than EK defensively, why would any team EVER consider this type of move.
Ridiculous.

Really? How many great NHL games has Dahlin had? How many NHL caliber players has he played defense against?

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
1) Yes, he is.

2) I agree with you on this point. If Dahlin is what everyone thinks he is... you get an ELC that has a bunch of bonuses triggered in it and when that runs out, he gets a double digit millions annually contract like McDavid, Drai (not quite 10M, but damn close), Matthews, Eichel, etc.

That being said... a lottery team would not trade Dahlin for Karlsson because they're generally in the lottery for a reason. You get a Philadelphia miracle again and a playoff bubble team gets the #1OA? I see a trade being much more likely. If Arizona won the lottery, they could trade for Karlsson and he'd put them firmly in the bubble chase, which won't do much for them. Add Karlsson to a team like Philly that just missed? They look scary as hell.

I agree that the probability of a trade like this happening is very slim not necessarily because of the points that some people have stated. I haven't heard anyone refer to Dahlin as having generational talent potential, if you have something please provide a link so I can read more.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Come on. We can probably all agree that the Oilers deserve this. They havent had the chance to draft a franchise defenseman at 1 Overall yet.
except katz will fall for the latest flashy high scoring left wing and ignore the obvious need...:sarcasm:

Reactions: Starat327

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad