Value of: Dahlin for Karlsson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I agree that the probability of a trade like this happening is very slim not necessarily because of the points that some people have stated. I haven't heard anyone refer to Dahlin as having generational talent potential, if you have something please provide a link so I can read more.

Google Rasmus Dahlin generational talent.

Take you pick of any of the reputable sporting websites making that claim. Dahlin is getting McDavid level hype.

"The best Swedish defense prospect in a generation" is one of the quotes.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Assuming Karlsson would sign (you assume any team making a deal for him would have reasonable assurance here), this is basically the defensive equivalent of trading Crosby for a freshly drafted Auston Matthews. Only difference is, defensemen face a much more difficult development curve and I would assume have a higher bust rate. As great as he is now go back 5 years and people were seeing Hedman approach disappointment territory. And if Dahlin does hit the ground running and work out like Matthews in the previous example, when his 3 years are up he could be signing a bigger deal than what Karlsson would be at assuming normal cap inflation.

Basically, as an Ottawa fan I'd take a re-signed Karlsson over a drafted Dahlin any day of the week. I would only entertain the deal if Karlsson made it clear he would not be resigning in Ottawa.

Dahlin is more like McDavid than Matthews.
So its the equivalent of trading McDavid for Crosby before McDavid played a single nhl game.
I doubt anyone would have done that.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Assuming Karlsson would sign (you assume any team making a deal for him would have reasonable assurance here), this is basically the defensive equivalent of trading Crosby for a freshly drafted Auston Matthews. Only difference is, defensemen face a much more difficult development curve and I would assume have a higher bust rate. As great as he is now go back 5 years and people were seeing Hedman approach disappointment territory. And if Dahlin does hit the ground running and work out like Matthews in the previous example, when his 3 years are up he could be signing a bigger deal than what Karlsson would be at assuming normal cap inflation.

Basically, as an Ottawa fan I'd take a re-signed Karlsson over a drafted Dahlin any day of the week. I would only entertain the deal if Karlsson made it clear he would not be resigning in Ottawa.

Not with that roster you definitely shouldn't. Dahlin would actually help usher in a new Era. Karlsson would just allow you to wallow in more mediocrity, since your owner wouldnt have any money to pay anyone else.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Fans don't understand value . Karlsson had a down year and my never return to form after his injury so he also has some risk with him . Let forget Karlsson down year for argument sake . Dhalin is considered a generational defence man . Karlsson is a soon to be UFA looking for a 10 plus million cap hit . Dhalin may not reach his ceil but even if he only becomes a very good D he is under team control for years and cost no addition assets . Would any team of traded McDavid pick for a soon to be UFA ? There probably only 2 GM's that would the said thing is one of those GM's work for my team

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Lol considering something that isn't proven at all
Of course it isn't proven. 99% of whats discussed around here is opinion. But, this kid is exceptional at both ends of the ice. He is big and still growing. He is a consensus #1 overall pick. While he may not pan out for a number of reasons, he is clearly on a trajectory to be a better defensive player than Karlsson, which isn't saying all that much.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
Ya, that would be BS!

Hopefully the Oilers win it.

Nope. The Isles have two shots at it, and will draft #1, re-sign Tavares after he sees that pick, and the NYI will have a modern version of the Trottier/Bossy/Potvin years...with Garf and Weight fired and new coaches helping them win the SC 4 times in a row...then I woke up, saw the calendar say its October, and none of that happened...

Reactions: LordNeverLose

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Chicago is having difficulties putting together a team under the cap around two 10 mill players. Why do you think trading a potential franchise defenseman for another 10m player (no matter how good he is) is going to be beneficial for them?

Trade value aside (a signed Karlsson is worth a ridiculous amount), I think that Chicago getting Karlsson is not going to work even if the trade value was agree upon.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Seriously! How does someone that has never played an NHL game have higher value than one of the best players in the game? Dahlin is not expected to be a generational talent like McD, or Crosby and if he does turn out to be that good he wont be cost controlled for seven years.

He's not? Lol, this post is absolutely ridiculous.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Even if Dahlin doesn't become as good as Karlsson, he's still going to be a great player. I'd rather have the 18 year old playing on an ELC and lacking the injury history that EK has.

I'm sure owners would rather have Dahlin than EK too, not only because they can pay Dahlin less, but, more importantly, because they can sell a ton of Dahlin merchandise. How much merchandise do you think people will buy if a team trades Dahlin for EK? Not nearly as much, I'd bet.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Again, this Dahlin for Karlsson thing will never happen. But I'm tired of people bringing up Karlsson's "bummed leg". He's at about 95% already, if not 100%. And that's without an offseason to train. He's healed.

Some evidence?

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
Again, this Dahlin for Karlsson thing will never happen. But I'm tired of people bringing up Karlsson's "bummed leg". He's at about 95% already, if not 100%. And that's without an offseason to train. He's healed.

Some evidence?

Yeah, he's at a point per game since the All-Star break. I think it's safe to say by now that the ruined offseason was the reason, not the injury itself, meaning he's not damaged goods going forward.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
And yet you offered nothing of value in response to my "ridiculous" post...way to go bud!

It's readily apparent to everyone but you that the post was absolutely laughable...so good job indeed, you get what you give.

Dahlin isn't expected to be a generational talent? Wrong.

He wouldn't be cost controlled for 7 years no matter how you swing it.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
It's readily apparent to everyone but you that the post was absolutely laughable...so good job indeed, you get what you give.

Dahlin isn't expected to be a generational talent? Wrong.

He wouldn't be cost controlled for 7 years no matter how you swing it.

You aren't very bright are you...

I dont think Dahlin is on the same level as McDavid, Crosby or even EK. I could be wrong however that wont be known for a decade from now. If experts disagree then feel free to share a quote or link, everything I have read says that he will be elite, #1 dman, etc but nothing specifically comparing to McD's level.

My point about cost control relates to another post where the person stated that RD would be both generational and cost controlled for seven years, you dont typically have both until UFA level.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
People always talk about how these trades would actually go through without a contract being agreed on.

Like how Nashville inked Turris immediately after the trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad