Prospect Info: D - Tory Pitner - 2024 #185

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Sticking with the DU theme.. Pitner's pretty good value here. He has a chance to play games. Steady defenseman who's competitive and physical in the d zone. Interesting style defending the rush; most defenseman try to hide their stick, but Pitner's usually fully extended to take away space. Good players will expose that. Not much in terms in puck skills, but pretty nice release on his shot. My biggest gripe is that he lacks puck poise; rims the puck way too much for my liking.

Probably a 6th defenseman type if he makes it. Should play another year in the USHL before DU.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
For me, he's a vanilla defenceman and that's why he probably fell to 185th since both EP and THN have him around the 80s. I actually don't think it is bad to be a "vanilla good at everything, great at nothing" when it comes to defencemen compared to being a forward. I echo the thoughts of @95snipes when it comes to weakness in puck skills, but there is good talent in his game, especially on the defensive side. He reminds me of Toronto's version of TJ Brodie (not the Calgary version) and even though that is not even close to being a perfect player, he is still NHL quality. The hope is for him to develop more tools and potentially become an Artem Zub level of player, which I think he has the ceiling for.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
1719698046302.png

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good pick by you guys. I think he's a very underrated player. One of my favorite players in this draft. I ranked him 55, so essentially four rounds ahead of where you took him.

He's very steady. Doesn't have any real holes in his game. In his U17 year in the USHL his team won the Championship, and he was their only U17 player who was playing a regular shift because they knew how he could be relied on, despite being very young for the league. He then was Captain of the US Hlinka team the following summer. I think he's analogous to Gavin McCarthy who went third round to Buffalo in 2023, so the three round difference didn't make much sense to me. He's a right shot that can play in all situations. Smart player. Good skater. Has NHL defenseman size. Good with positioning. Can certainly move pucks. I think he has more offense than people think. He just has never been given a big PP role on the team's he's played on the last few years, but I don't think it's because he obviously can't handle it. I think teams use his steadiness as too much of a crutch to not allow him to expand and play a bigger offensive role.

I could see the scenario where he ends up a 3 or 4 in a best case scenario, and in less than the best case scenario I think there's also a good chance he ends up playing NHL games.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Good pick by you guys. I think he's a very underrated player. One of my favorite players in this draft. I ranked him 55, so essentially four rounds ahead of where you took him.

He's very steady. Doesn't have any real holes in his game. In his U17 year in the USHL his team won the Championship, and he was their only U17 player who was playing a regular shift because they knew how he could be relied on, despite being very young for the league. He then was Captain of the US Hlinka team the following summer. I think he's analogous to Gavin McCarthy who went third round to Buffalo in 2023, so the three round difference didn't make much sense to me. He's a right shot that can play in all situations. Smart player. Good skater. Has NHL defenseman size. Good with positioning. Can certainly move pucks. I think he has more offense than people think. He just has never been given a big PP role on the team's he's played on the last few years, but I don't think it's because he obviously can't handle it. I think teams use his steadiness as too much of a crutch to not allow him to expand and play a bigger offensive role.

I could see the scenario where he ends up a 3 or 4 in a best case scenario, and in less than the best case scenario I think there's also a good chance he ends up playing NHL games.
When you say he has NHL size do you mean he's 5'10" and will be a mediocre nhler? Or are his advanced stats going to be like 6'2" or 6'3"?

• Haha
Reactions: Murzu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad