Prospect Info: 2024 Montreal Canadiens Development Camp

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Anyone else watch Shayne Gaumond and Grant McD-bagg totally butcher the Bergqvist analysis from the scrimmage. Going on about how tiny he looked at 5'7" and how he struggled on the boards because he was so tiny out there.......Bergqvist is incorrectly listed on hockeydb as being 5'6" 128 lbs when he is actually 6'2" 181 lbs. This demonstrates yet again how nobody should ever use hockeydb as a source of information as they are consistently wrong just as they still are with Adam Engstrom who they continue to list at 6'0" 168 lbs when he is 6'2" 190 lbs.....it has been two full years yet it is still there. If hockeydb management notice that their dog sh*t in the middle of the living room do they just leave it there for years? lol

This is also very telling that McCagg is a fraud who, despite being at the freaking game allowed egregiously incorrect information that he saw online entirely dictate what his little brain was processing and then repeat it on air as though he has any insight at all.

I quite literally would never look to Grant for any reason when discussing a prospect as he is well below myself and many others around here.....it is actually embarrassing how incompetent he actually is. The guy is a baboon throwing darts who revels in the times that he gets lucky and tries in vain to justify his misses long after they have busted.
I would bet that the only reason McCagg has friends in the scouting community is because how often he bashes fans that have opinions on prospects. I'm sure his scouting friends applaud him for doing so 'cause they can't do it themselves. McCagd is dumb in his analysis. But he does know scouts. The only way you can trust him is when he reports what he hears. I don't doubt he has poeple inside that talks to him. Then, he starts having a real opinion and it goes downhill from there....

As far as hockey db is concerned....the ONLY reason I go to hockeydb it's to see the rosters and draft lists. Nobody sane enough go there for stats and infos.....eliteprospects is perfect for that.

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
I was debating until last few days. Cooley was mine until about 3 days before draft. I gave up on Wright months before the draft.

Last 3 drafts, a total non professional, would have taken Slaf, Demidov and Leonard. Does that make me a drafting guru also? See how easy it is drafting high?

I wouldn't have taken Reinbacher, his lack of hands can't see him being more than a #3. Unless career year maybe. even though I thought he was going to be solid D. Just can get those anyway ie. Pesce. So I said why burn high pick on him?

I wanted Hutson with Mesar pick. We lucky Hutson slid. Never liked the Mesar pick. I See him as small, frail, mid line winger. Beck was my pick at 33. The Oilers pick I had no idea who to take? Likely would have combined 33 with it to trade up early 2nd round or late first. I wouldn't have did the Dach trade. Only because thought we draft higher in '23. Really, really wanted Fantilli. Even though it's going to work out for better. Only by luck though, if Dach plays last season we don't get Demidov. I Wanted a Finn with Dach pick. Forget his name now. He went mid first round.
Likely Joakim Kemell

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I would bet that the only reason McCagg has friends in the scouting community is because how often he bashes fans that have opinions on prospects. I'm sure his scouting friends applaud him for doing so 'cause they can't do it themselves. McCagd is dumb in his analysis. But he does know scouts. The only way you can trust him is when he reports what he hears. I don't doubt he has poeple inside that talks to him. Then, he starts having a real opinion and it goes downhill from there....

As far as hockey db is concerned....the ONLY reason I go to hockeydb it's to see the rosters and draft lists. Nobody sane enough go there for stats and infos.....eliteprospects is perfect for that.

Grant is directly related to 2 former NHL GM's/Head Coaches and of course there's his Timmins connection. Then add in all the scouts he's talked to and worked with between McKeens and the Habs for 1 year, there is no doubt he's got very good connections.

Last edited:

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Does that make me a drafting guru also?

No. f***ing no man. Touch grass.

Watching hockey and having some favourites and often being right is nothing more than funny on HFBoards. Its also much more about luck in our position.

An immense part of scouting is all about networking and influence. How do you think we end up with a Engstrom in the 3rd round? Or an Eriksson in the 6th?

When Bobrov travel to Rogle and he wants to gather insider information about some prospective player, someone important in the organisation answer the call because he is an actual draft guru and there is a benefit for his program and his player.

I am not specifically talking about you but folks don't understand that its not just about calling a "1st rounder better than your team one year."

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
The fact remains the same. Slaf, Cooley, Wright, Nemec, Jiricek are all in a bundle together still. Wrights end of season was fantastic, so was Slaf, Cooley was good all year, Nemec has been amazing in the last few games and Jiricek while he struggled still has the highest potential of all. It was impossible to blunder, really. The only blunder they could've made is Wright at one and straight to the NHL. I thought Slaf at one and straight to the NHL was a mistake but it seems like it worked out very well.
They are not in bundles. They are in tiers...

Slaf

Nemec
Cooley

Hutson
Jiricek
Wright

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
How is Slaf ahead? I love him and wouldn't trade him for anyone but realistically he's done nothing to separate himself and Hutson is ? Come on..
Okay...Hutson I'm trolling a bit.

Slafs dominant second half puts ahead by a fair margin. As others have said...his profile and ceiling is much more rare than what Cooley offers. A unicorn if you will.

We can revisit this next April, but I think you won't have an argument to stand on.

Also, by next April my list might actually stand with Hutson where I put him. But let's wait and see.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Grant to directly related to 2 former NHL GM's/Head Coaches and of course there's his Timmins connection. Then add in all the scouts he's talked to and worked with between McKeens and the Habs for 1 year, there is no doubt he's got very good connections.
He might have the only podcast that Bob McKenzie has ever been a guest on. I'm not talking about TSN radio shows or the BobCast that McKenzie used to host several years ago.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
True but Slafkovsky is a rare commodity whereas Logan Cooley is a good but more common player. I get what you say, but at this point Slafkovsky is more valuable and unique than Cooley.

Slaf is in a tier by himself in a re-draft, it really isn't very close at all.

I guarantee you that 32 out of 32 GM's take Slaf with the 1st OA pick in a re-draft.

Extinction Burst

Jul 7, 2024
Anyone else watch Shayne Gaumond and Grant McD-bagg totally butcher the Bergqvist analysis from the scrimmage. Going on about how tiny he looked at 5'7" and how he struggled on the boards because he was so tiny out there.......Bergqvist is incorrectly listed on hockeydb as being 5'6" 128 lbs when he is actually 6'2" 181 lbs. This demonstrates yet again how nobody should ever use hockeydb as a source of information as they are consistently wrong just as they still are with Adam Engstrom who they continue to list at 6'0" 168 lbs when he is 6'2" 190 lbs.....it has been two full years yet it is still there. If hockeydb management notice that their dog sh*t in the middle of the living room do they just leave it there for years? lol

This is also very telling that McCagg is a fraud who, despite being at the freaking game allowed egregiously incorrect information that he saw online entirely dictate what his little brain was processing and then repeat it on air as though he has any insight at all.

I quite literally would never look to Grant for any reason when discussing a prospect as he is well below myself and many others around here.....it is actually embarrassing how incompetent he actually is. The guy is a baboon throwing darts who revels in the times that he gets lucky and tries in vain to justify his misses long after they have busted.I think you misunderstood, Shyne Gaumond and Grand McCagg were talking about

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I noticed that I forgot to talk about Protz.

I did like the tools he had. He seems very, very strong physically and even if it was only a scrimmage, he doesn't give much ice and angled his body well. Interesting pick.

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Thanks for the write up as I agree with much of what you said. I do think that you might want to go back and watch Harris' game again as he was easily one of the best players on the ice. Not so much due to him flashing high end skill, but making pro level decisions and reading the play at a high level. He uses his body and stick in a much more advanced manner than any other player displayed and was very good at connecting plays and sequences that really helped his linemates, especially Hage. This should not be surprising as one of the older players coming off of a championship team in Denver but it was extremely evident to me that he was thinking the game much more as a pro than most of the players there.

As I have stated before, these scrimmages mean close to nothing and are more of an orientation exercise than an opportunity for analysis but I would have been there as well if I lived closer and really appreciate your take as live viewings always trump video. You definitely did a much better job than another poster who used to do it every year as you seem to have a better understanding of the game and skating mechanics than he did.

You are right about the pro habits. However, this is what I'd expect from someone on a strong NCAA team with great coaching. He has good height, but for someone like him, I want to see something more that stands out: strength, speed, skill, intensity, just one more trait to make him stand out as something more than a replaceable player. That said, this is a scrimmage, you (as in me) can't really make conclusions on players who are in completely different game shapes according to their summer training and playing a non physical 4 on 4. And he's not a high pick, so I can't complain. He still has likely at least 2 years in the NCAA as well, so he had time to find his role.

Habs seem to focus on guys that can play but also possess good personalities. That Protz kid is refreshing to listen to.

I have to admit I was sold when he said he loves to train because he loves to eat. I 100% relate to that. I used to be at the gym to squat and deadlift only so I could eat more BBQ on the smoker. He's a great interview... Like most of the guys they draft.

Reactions: Tyson

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Habs seem to focus on guys that can play but also possess good personalities. That Protz kid is refreshing to listen to.
You would actually think a bruiser was less charismatic and well spoken.
And I also related to going to the gym to train because I love to eat. :popcorn:

• Love
Reactions: Tyson and Andrei79

Extinction Burst

Jul 7, 2024

I quite literally would never look to Grant for any reason when discussing a prospect as he is well below myself and many others around here.....it is actually embarrassing how incompetent he actually is. The guy is a baboon throwing darts who revels in the times that he gets lucky and tries in vain to justify his misses long after they have busted.

I watched the McCagg podcast and it never happened. The only time that they mention someone being 5’7” is at around the 18:15 minute mark when they talked about Zetterberg (being 5'7" and struggling on the boards). Bergqvist is not mentioned in that podcast at all. So no, I don’t see him as a fraud. What I do see is someone with an agenda spreading misinformation

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I watched the McCagg podcast and it never happened. The only time that they mention someone being 5’7” is at around the 18:15 minute mark when they talked about Zetterberg (being 5'7" and struggling on the boards). Bergqvist is not mentioned in that podcast at all. So no, I don’t see him as a fraud. What I do see is someone with an agenda spreading misinformation
I got no issue with McCagg...that podcast with Shayne Guimond is actually worth watching.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Josh Nadeau is going to the Canes development camp....obviously. With his brother there already.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I find this wild that someone actually made an account today for the sole purpose of defending Grant McCagg, the guy who basically thought of this board as idiots before rage quitting during a tantrum.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I find this wild that someone actually made an account today for the sole purpose of defending Grant McCagg, the guy who basically thought of this board as idiots before rage quitting during a tantrum.
He entertains me...I enjoyed arguing with him on this board years ago. I had predicted that signing Mac Bennett would amount to a wasted contract, that he hadn't shown enough in college to warrant a contract. McCagg told me I was full of crap. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Andrei79

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
He entertains me...I enjoyed arguing with him on this board years ago. I had predicted that signing Mac Bennett would amount to a wasted contract, that he hadn't shown enough in college to warrant a contract. McCagg told me I was full of crap. 🤣

I actually have nothing against Grant.

He used to be called turnbuckle here and he had really cool insight from what his contacts in the scouting community thought of prospects. I like knowing which players he feels are rising in the draft. I remember he was extremely high on Erik Karlsson, just as he was on Parekh this year.

That said, it's his poor character that turns me off. I actually feel he's shooting himself in the foot by being so hostile and condescending. If he was amiable, answered questions amicably and simply played along with our idiocy regarding prospects while ignoring criticism (that everyone in regarded positions receives), people would likely be enthusiastic about his publications. Instead, he demeans what is essentially his potential customer base.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I actually have nothing against Grant.

He used to be called turnbuckle here and he had really cool insight from what his contacts in the scouting community thought of prospects. I like knowing which players he feels are rising in the draft. I remember he was extremely high on Erik Karlsson, just as he was on Parekh this year.

That said, it's his poor character that turns me off. I actually feel he's shooting himself in the foot by being so hostile and condescending. If he was amiable, answered questions amicably and simply played along with our idiocy regarding prospects while ignoring criticism (that everyone in regarded positions receives), people would likely be enthusiastic about his publications. Instead, he demeans what is essentially his potential customer base.
Couldn't agree more...he has a confrontational personality (hot head) but I do enjoy his insights.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City

Sheesh, did McCagg shit in your cereals?

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad