D Matt Schaefer - Erie Otters, OHL (2025 Draft)

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
How did this guy only have 17 points in the O last year? He’s pretty good

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
@GermanSpitfire was all over this kid from the start. Credit to all who said “this kid is great, just you watch” when inevitably all the stat watchers piled on this past season when he wasn’t pointing up huge counting stats. This kid is so smooth. Prototypical modern defender and seems to have intangibles and an amazing head. If you haven’t read the story about his mom and his billet mom and the losses this kid has suffered through this year…get some tissues out.

Rooting hard for his kid and by all accounts - he’s gonna be an awesome NHLer and person.

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
What’s the difference between him and say Jamie Drysdale? Jamie also looked awesome in junior.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
What’s the difference between him and say Jamie Drysdale? Jamie also looked awesome in junior.
And Drysdale was also awesome as a teenager rookie defenseman in the NHL - his career and development has just been interrupted by injuries.

If all Schaefer is, is a "bigger" Drysdale - that would make him a top 5 pick, seeing as Drysdale himself was a 6th overall pick who looked well worth the investment until injuries derailed his progress. Another guy in that range who is bigger and might draw some comps because of his skating, composed defensive play and "quieter" offensive abilities - is Jake Sanderson, who as the #5 pick in that same draft.

Schaefer certainly looks like he could end up in that bracket of prospect.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
And Drysdale was also awesome as a teenager rookie defenseman in the NHL - his career and development has just been interrupted by injuries.

If all Schaefer is, is a "bigger" Drysdale - that would make him a top 5 pick, seeing as Drysdale himself was a 6th overall pick who looked well worth the investment until injuries derailed his progress. Another guy in that range who is bigger and might draw some comps because of his skating, composed defensive play and "quieter" offensive abilities - is Jake Sanderson, who as the #5 pick in that same draft.

Schaefer certainly looks in that bracket of prospect.
Drysdale also had to deal with Covid interrupting his development, then getting rushed into the NHL when he probably should have stayed in the A. His metrics in 2021-22 weren't good despite putting up points. Then injuries have really hurt his development.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
This story is from May. I didn't know about the on-ice grief Schaefer had to deal with during his rookie OHL season.

Yeah that’s the story I was reading. Makes you think twice before putting a 17 year-old on blast for not scoring enough points.

Frankly it’s a sobering reminder that the athletes we follow aren’t robots and who knows what they are dealing with in the real world.

But it’s a great reason to cheer for this kid and be amazed at his mental character. There’s certainly a reason he’s got a “C” on his chest.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I think he has an outside shot of going first overall and overtaking Hagens throughout the season. I think he solidified that he should now be considered the #1 D in the class and I’d argue should be no lower than #3 overall on most, if not all lists.

Very impressive performance at the Hlinka and was probably the best player in the tournament.

It’s been a fun ride following this prospect over the years, as all he ever does is show up in big games and shows progression.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
i agree - his hockey iq is off the charts - always makes the right play - plays a simple game for elite skater but his risk/ reward is as good as i’ve seen from a prospect - build nhl team around a player like him
I really think the hockey IQ is why I'm so high in this kid, especially coming off the "year of the defenseman" where other than Buium all the defensemen have some sort of hockey IQ concern. But Schaefer also has solid size and excellent skating, which Buium doesn't.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I really think the hockey IQ is why I'm so high in this kid, especially coming off the "year of the defenseman" where other than Buium all the defensemen have some sort of hockey IQ concern. But Schaefer also has solid size and excellent skating, which Buium doesn't.
I think he’s a very exciting prospect, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad