D Matt Schaefer - Erie Otters, OHL (2025 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'm extremely excited to see how he develops could be an outstanding prospect and pro.

I also wonder how long it will take for him to go from notable to elite prospect on the 25 draft page here.

my bet is that it won't be very long at all.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Is he better than Dickinson and Mews?

@GermanSpitfire
Without a doubt better than Mews, especially at the same age, Schaefer would take the cake, rather easily.

Dickinson is closer to Schaefer, he plays a more physical, in your face type of game. Better defending in front of the net etc - but most everything else Schaefer can do as well, or better at the same age, especially.

If you were to put Schaefer in the same OHL draft as Dickinson, Schaefer would be the first defender taken, I’ll put it like that.

Schaefer is the best defender to enter the OHL
since Aaron Ekblad, in my opinion. I’m so exited to see what he can do in Erie. They’re building something promising there.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Without a doubt better than Mews, especially at the same age, Schaefer would take the cake, rather easily.

Dickinson is closer to Schaefer, he plays a more physical, in your face type of game. Better defending in front of the net etc - but most everything else Schaefer can do as well, or better at the same age, especially.

If you were to put Schaefer in the same OHL draft as Dickinson, Schaefer would be the first defender taken, I’ll put it like that.

Schaefer is the best defender to enter the OHL
since Aaron Ekblad, in my opinion. I’m so exited to see what he can do in Erie. They’re building something promising there.
What a bad take. This guy sucks.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is he better than Dickinson and Mews?
Better than Dickinson and Mews.

He's very good. He has the defensive game of Dickinson, but has better hands and sense. He's not like an amazing offensive player, but he's a player that could be a PP1 type in the NHL and should definitely at least be a PP2 type.

I know people here seem to think he's off to a slow start, but the announcer has been saying he's off to a great start. Apparently playing over 20 minutes per game. I'm not taking sides over how he's playing, but he's a good player and I think he'll be a definite top 10 pick next year with a real chance at top 5.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
One of the top defensemen at the U17 challenge. When I have seen him play it strikes me as very strange that he has only 2 points in 17 games (OHL+WHC U17) this season, because he has shown some really good offensive instincts and plays

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Better than Dickinson and Mews.

He's very good. He has the defensive game of Dickinson, but has better hands and sense. He's not like an amazing offensive player, but he's a player that could be a PP1 type in the NHL and should definitely at least be a PP2 type.

I know people here seem to think he's off to a slow start, but the announcer has been saying he's off to a great start. Apparently playing over 20 minutes per game. I'm not taking sides over how he's playing, but he's a good player and I think he'll be a definite top 10 pick next year with a real chance at top 5.
I really like Schaefer, but I don't think he's better than Dickinson, though I'm very high on Dickinson. Better than Mews, I can agree with.

I think by the 2nd half, he'll really take off once he's fully adjusted.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I really like Schaefer, but I don't think he's better than Dickinson, though I'm very high on Dickinson. Better than Mews, I can agree with.

I think by the 2nd half, he'll really take off once he's fully adjusted.
I'm not big on Dickinson, but I get the argument. I think Dickinson is a better athlete and more physical. Schaefer is more cerebral with a better puck game.

Reactions: BKarchitect

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
For anyone worried about him and his lack of offensive production so far this season, just watch the gold medal game at the U17’s.

Was on the ice seemingly every 2nd shift, played excellent defence throughout, even straight up saved the game for Canada at one point with a massive block and was probably on the ice for 70% of that overtime.

Hopefully this gives him more offensive confidence when going back to Erie. He is going to be a good one.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
For anyone worried about him and his lack of offensive production so far this season, just watch the gold medal game at the U17’s.

Was on the ice seemingly every 2nd shift, played excellent defence throughout, even straight up saved the game for Canada at one point with a massive block and was probably on the ice for 70% of that overtime.

Hopefully this gives him more offensive confidence when going back to Erie. He is going to be a good one.
I went over to the Island to watch the last four games of the tournament. Schaefer was the standout player for me. Whatever struggles he's had with Erie to start the season are just growing pains or adjusting to major junior. The kid is a phenomenal skater, ultra smart, and plays airtight defence -- hockey sense combined with great gap control. No worries at all about him. Looked like a 16yo Scott Niedermayer out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad