D Matt Schaefer - Erie Otters, OHL (2025 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

As of now Schaefer is probably the best defender in his age group out of Ontario. I expect him to be a high pick in the 2023 OHL draft and could very well be the first defender off the board. He has good size for his age, good poise and is a good skater. He has a good first pass and doesn't buckle under pressure. We'll see how he progresses going forward!

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014

As of now Schaefer is probably the best defender in his age group out of Ontario. I expect him to be a high pick in the 2023 OHL draft and could very well be the first defender off the board. He has good size for his age, good poise and is a good skater. He has a good first pass and doesn't buckle under pressure. We'll see how he progresses going forward!
So far youve just been talking to yourself in this thread so i’ll wade in . I’ve been watching the CGs and this kid is by far the top D and imo right up there behind Mckenna as a projectable NHL star . The skating is just on another level . I’ve seen that bow legged stride before in a superstar dman of the past but can’t recall who it was 😉

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
So far youve just been talking to yourself in this thread so i’ll wade in . I’ve been watching the CGs and this kid is by far the top D and imo right up there behind Mckenna as a projectable NHL star . The skating is just on another level . I’ve seen that bow legged stride before in a superstar dman of the past but can’t recall who it was 😉
That’s kinda what it is like with alot of the Ontario kids before their draft days haha.

I’ve been comparing him to Jamie Drysdale - but he may even be better than him at the same age. He is without a doubt the best defender in the OHL class and could go as high as 2nd overall on draft day. Very talented kid.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I believe he will be going first overall in the upcoming OHL draft and will be going to Erie.
Good insight above GS! Helpful reading and watching some highlights for an Erie fan who hasn’t seen Schaefer live.

What are your general thoughts on him as a prospect at this point? Roobroeck seemed like the consensus 1 until recently and not sure if Schaefer going 1 is more to do with his rise recently or Roobroeck recent slump (or just draft manipulation/report issues)

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Good insight above GS! Helpful reading and watching some highlights for an Erie fan who hasn’t seen Schaefer live.

What are your general thoughts on him as a prospect at this point? Roobroeck seemed like the consensus 1 until recently and not sure if Schaefer going 1 is more to do with his rise recently or Roobroeck recent slump (or just draft manipulation/report issues)
No - I believe he is genuinely the most talented player in this class, and you’ll find many out there that share that opinion.

All the top guys I believe are willing to report to Erie. Schaefer is just a rare talent from the blueline, a guy that can control the game in both the offensive and defensive zones. It’s something you don’t see very often for a defender his age. And he has gotten so much better as the year has progressed, and he isn’t done developing either.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
No - I believe he is genuinely the most talented player in this class, and you’ll find many out there that share that opinion.

All the top guys I believe are willing to report to Erie. Schaefer is just a rare talent from the blueline, a guy that can control the game in both the offensive and defensive zones. It’s something you don’t see very often for a defender his age. And he has gotten so much better as the year has progressed, and he isn’t done developing either.
Appreciate the insight! Great work as always, especially the last few months

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
To get ahead of Ryan Roobroeck, he has to be very strong.
He is - one of the best defensive prospects to enter the OHL since Drysdale and Doughty.

But at the same time, Roobroeck hasn’t shown much progression from last year. He’ll still go #2 to Niagara, but in my optinion, Schaefer, Moore and Martin surpassed him this season.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
He is - one of the best defensive prospects to enter the OHL since Drysdale and Doughty.

But at the same time, Roobroeck hasn’t shown much progression from last year. He’ll still go #2 to Niagara, but in my optinion, Schaefer, Moore and Martin surpassed him this season.

I don't want to be harassed again by a gang of Anaheim virgins, but Drysdale defensively... Ottawa preferred Sanderson precisely because he was more reliable defensively when they needed a right-handed defender more.

It's risky I think. Until then, Roobroeck seemed to be ahead of all those guys. Even in front of McKenna. And for several years.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
It's risky I think. Until then, Roobroeck seemed to be ahead of all those guys. Even in front of McKenna. And for several years.

There is this thing called development where some players can progress better than others as time goes on.

I personally never had Roobroeck in front of McKenna. Mckenna was playing in a U-18 league. You just can't compare his stats to Roobroeck's U-16 performance and derive meaningful conclusions.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
There is this thing called development where some players can progress better than others as time goes on.

I personally never had Roobroeck in front of McKenna. Mckenna was playing in a U-18 league. You just can't compare his stats to Roobroeck's U-16 performance and derive meaningful conclusions.
I have known both players since they were 9 years old. I always thought Ryan was better than Gavin. In joint tournaments, he rather had the upper hand.

Ontario leagues are denser than Canada West so it's hard to compare.

There are different ways that may explain why Roobroeck's stats haven't changed.

Maybe technically, it's complicated to score more points in his league knowing that he had already smashed the record last year. Maybe that he tried to work on other areas of his game. The scouts know better than me anyway, but they're not always right.

For me, it's really a big surprise. Can't wait to see if it was the right decision.

It's risky to reverse a logic that has been built up for several years on the basis of very recent data. OHL Cup must have played a very important role. But it has happened before that excellent players miss a tournament.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I don't want to be harassed again by a gang of Anaheim virgins, but Drysdale defensively... Ottawa preferred Sanderson precisely because he was more reliable defensively when they needed a right-handed defender more.

I can’t comment on Drysdale since he hasn’t played really this season. Don’t think it’s fair to come to any conclusions about him at this point. He was progressing nicely before the injury, though but I‘ve always thought he would top out as similar to what Cam Fowler is.

I had Roobroeck clearly ahead until the Canada winter games, where although he lead Ontario in scoring, Schaefer was the clear best player in the tournament, and Martin and Moore I thought were more crutial for the succes of the team than Roobroeck - these thought came to light again at the OHL cup when it was a very underwhelming preformance by Roobroeck and Martin, Moore and Schaefer played very well. I’m not saying he isnMt a great player, he is. Other players have just caught up.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I can’t comment on Drysdale since he hasn’t played really this season. Don’t think it’s fair to come to any conclusions about him at this point. He was progressing nicely before the injury, though but I‘ve always thought he would top out as similar to what Cam Fowler is.

I had Roobroeck clearly ahead until the Canada winter games, where although he lead Ontario in scoring, Schaefer was the clear best player in the tournament, and Martin and Moore I thought were more crutial for the succes of the team than Roobroeck - these thought came to light again at the OHL cup when it was a very underwhelming preformance by Roobroeck and Martin, Moore and Schaefer played very well. I’m not saying he isnMt a great player, he is. Other players have just caught up.

The last great reference of Ontario in terms of defender is Ekblad. To see if Roobroeck will be able to relaunch its progression curve or if the slowdown is permanent. I ask myself the same question as Kiviharju

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
The last great reference of Ontario in terms of defender is Ekblad. To see if Roobroeck will be able to relaunch its progression curve or if the slowdown is permanent. I ask myself the same question as Kiviharju
Agreed - Roobroeck has the size, and it Always takes time with kids as big as young as he is. I think he still has an excellent chance at becoming a high end NHL prospect.

He is too perimeter orientaged for my liking right now and plays a small game for a big guy. I’d like him to be more aseetive with his size and not be afraid of the middle of the ice, because right now, it seems has has one move, cut to the outside, then either cut to the net with speed after beating the defender, or stopping, surveying the ice and making a risky pass.

As for Schaefer, yes he’s in my opinion on the level of a Ekblad, Doughty and Drysdale in their times in the OHL. He has so much to like about his game, smarts, vision, skating, defensive acumen and he has shown to be quite physical.

NorthernBridge7

Dec 26, 2019
Ontario, Canada
One year ago I recall the top 07's being Misa, Roobroeck, William Moore, Ethan Weir - as mentioned on forums here.

How did Matt Schaefer stack up against those players last year following Major Bantam? How much of a riser was he this season?

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
One year ago I recall the top 07's being Misa, Roobroeck, William Moore, Ethan Weir - as mentioned on forums here.

How did Matt Schaefer stack up against those players last year following Major Bantam? How much of a riser was he this season?
He was always seen as among the best, if not the best defender in the age group - but defenders take longer to really get a feel on because you can’t solely rely on the stat sheet to get a good idea of their games.

Then he was injured for the first 6 or so weeks of the season and was kinda forgotten about for a little while, and when he stepped on the ice for Halton after coming from the Jr. Bulldogs for the first time, you could tell that this kid was among the best of the age group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad