D Luca Marrelli - Oshawa Generals, OHL (2024, 86th, CBJ)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Enjoyed quite the good rookie season in Oshawa all things considered. He was a 5th round pick in the 2021 OHL draft So the fact he made a impact in his first year as a late birthday nonetheless is quite notable.
Very good skater with a good defensive game already at 16/17. It remains to be seen whether he can produce enough offensively in order to complement his defensive game well. He is a kid that has pro upside no doubt and I like the opportunities he’ll have in Oshawa this and next season.

Reactions: LeProspector

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Bump.

Watching the Generals tonight to get a look at Sennecke & this kid has really stood out. So many strong defensive plays tonight. Hes strong positionally, aggressive when he needs to be, really smooth skater & great poise with the puck.

Ive seen a bit of guys like Elick in Brandon & Christoforo in Windsor who've shown up as pot late 1st/early 2nd on some lists, yet this kid looks more impressive to me & I haven't seen him on any early lists. What am I missing here?

Interested to see more of him (Oh and Sennecke looks good too)

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
It seems like every time I look, Luca Marrelli has a 1+1 game with 3 or more shots on goal.

Now with 8 goals and 17 points in 14 games in his D+1 season. Not bad for someone who was mostly praised for his defensive game. At 6'2" he has the ideal size and a bit of snarl for when he turns pro next season.

As he was a late bday last year this is now his fourth OHL season so take the numbers with a grain of salt but he's doing everything one can ask out of a third rounder. Still, he had 57 points from the blueline last year and went in the third round so the scouts must have seen something to think his numbers were inflated. Seeing him replicate it plus more now, maybe Columbus made a good pick here.

Reactions: Dominance

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It seems like every time I look, Luca Marrelli has a 1+1 game with 3 or more shots on goal.

Now with 8 goals and 17 points in 14 games in his D+1 season. Not bad for someone who was mostly praised for his defensive game. At 6'2" he has the ideal size and a bit of snarl for when he turns pro next season.

As he was a late bday last year this is now his fourth OHL season so take the numbers with a grain of salt but he's doing everything one can ask out of a third rounder. Still, he had 57 points from the blueline last year and went in the third round so the scouts must have seen something to think his numbers were inflated. Seeing him replicate it plus more now, maybe Columbus made a good pick here.

I think there is skepticism because he is the top blueliner with a loaded forward roster in front of him, and he doesn't seem to have any obvious high end skills. Just well rounded. He's got NHL height but also doesn't seem particularly athletic, so there are some questions about his upside. Jackets fans are of course excited to see him progress and he's well worth giving it a shot with a third round pick. I am just making the point that scouts that passed on him probably aren't sweating yet.

Reactions: Dempsey

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think there is skepticism because he is the top blueliner with a loaded forward roster in front of him, and he doesn't seem to have any obvious high end skills. Just well rounded. He's got NHL height but also doesn't seem particularly athletic, so there are some questions about his upside. Jackets fans are of course excited to see him progress and he's well worth giving it a shot with a third round pick. I am just making the point that scouts that passed on him probably aren't sweating yet.
Their forward group sucks and is completely depending on Ritchie. Before Ritchie joined, none of them were even scoring a point per game. Which is why Marrelli still leads the Generals in scoring. Without Ritchie, the entire Generals plan would have went to shit.

I agree re Marrelli though. Not as gifted as his cousin, just way more mature and well rounded. Doesn't mean he can't still play in the NHL. He's certainly been one of very few bright spots on the Generals this season.

Reactions: Realgud

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Their forward group sucks and is completely depending on Ritchie. Before Ritchie joined, none of them were even scoring a point per game. Which is why Marrelli still leads the Generals in scoring. Without Ritchie, the entire Generals plan would have went to shit.

I agree re Marrelli though. Not as gifted as his cousin, just way more mature and well rounded. Doesn't mean he can't still play in the NHL. He's certainly been one of very few bright spots on the Generals this season.

I should have said "why there was skepticism" because last year Marrelli wasn't outscoring his forwards, and there really was a lethal top line.

And I'm just a highlights watcher, but it's not going out on a limb to say that Sennecke and Barlow should score more, Ritchie will help make that happen. That's obviously a great group by the standards of any junior league. It is great that Marrelli started out the year outscoring them, it bodes well and people will take notice if he keeps this pace up.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I should have said "why there was skepticism" because last year Marrelli wasn't outscoring his forwards, and there really was a lethal top line.

And I'm just a highlights watcher, but it's not going out on a limb to say that Sennecke and Barlow should score more, Ritchie will help make that happen. That's obviously a great group by the standards of any junior league. It is great that Marrelli started out the year outscoring them, it bodes well and people will take notice if he keeps this pace up.
Sennecke and Barlow absolutely suck without an elite Center carrying them. They're big, skilled and elite snipers but they're lacking elite vision. They're not necessarily known for an elite two way game either. They were unable to consistently make plays, drive play themselves. They had exactly one highlight sequence without Ritchie...other than that they were mostly completely useless and barely put up points at all. If the Generals did something half decent worth watching it was most likely a play created by Owen Griffin or Luca Marrelli.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad