D Logan Mailloux - Laval, AHL (2021, 31st, MTL)

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Because i think that long term Mailloux is going to be our best all around defenseman and i don't want to lose him or stunt his development.
How does sending 21-year-old D to the AHL "stunt" his development? I got to tell you, from the neutral fan's perspective, you just sound like his fanboy and your ramblings don't make a whole lot of sense.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
How does sending 21-year-old D to the AHL "stunt" his development? I got to tell you, from the neutral fan's perspective, you just sound like his fanboy and your ramblings don't make a whole lot of sense.
It would be the first time that a young player doesn’t develop or develops slowly when their organization dicks around with them.

Or is it the second time?

Run along and worry about your team.....

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Perhaps but this also assumes alot of development and best case scenarios and there are 31 other teams in the league and a team like the Ducks , Jackets and Sabers have great groups as well.
Yup lol id say so far Hutson and Guhle are locks. Reinbacher and mailloux have high potential but still need to prove themselves

Reactions: MoneyManny

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
He still needs a little bit of seasoning in the AHL. He wasn’t bad at the camp but he still looked timid with and without the puck. I think another half a season in the AHL and a bit more confidence he can play with the big boys and he will make the jump.

Two things he needs to work on is his body position on D-zone coverage and his “mean” streak. He does have a physical game which he showed in the OHL and last year in Laval that we didn’t see during pre-season.

I’m looking forward to seeing him full time in the NHL soon. He’s going to be a solid top 4 D.

Reactions: Riggins

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It would be the first time that a young player doesn’t develop or develops slowly when their organization dicks around with them.

Or is it the second time?

Run along and worry about your team.....
Nice deflection. You are still yet to provide any real arguments why being sent down in his situation is "dicking with him".

If you only want to talk to those who have their panties in a twist over nothing just as much as you are, maybe stick to the Montreal board instead of directing traffic on the general one.

Reactions: Fenris

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Kind of funny how people interpreted his preseason when he was one of the best dmen in the league analytically during it
And Jakub Skarek hasn't allowed a single preseason goal last year. He is a .892 Sv% career goalie in the AHL.

And Montreal scored 0 PP goals in the pre-season while they have one in every of their regular season games.

And Michkov and Honzek made their teams while leading preseason in scoring, now after 5 regular season games they have both combined for 1 assist.

Should I continue? What is the "not funny" way to interpret the preseason?

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux

Is going to end up one of the best top 4 in the nhl.
They are currently 22, 21, 20, and 19 years old, so they'll be together for a long time, which is scary for the rest of the league.
There's a decent chance that never even becomes a top 4 when considering the amount of seasons away and player turnover.

I think at this point Reinbacher doesn't become more than a 2nd pairing dman. The odds are against him now with another major injury missing significant development time at a critical age (see: Conor Timmins).

I think Mailloux will be a solid #3 but he could surprise and be that 'minute-muncher' for the Habs. I'm not convinced any of these guys will turn into a true #1, they have a lot of quantity but lack the high-end quality outside of Hutson. If he could use his skillset to become elite defensively, that would be huge for them. I still would take a few other future D cores over theirs.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There's a decent chance that never even becomes a top 4 when considering the amount of seasons away and player turnover.

I think at this point Reinbacher doesn't become more than a 2nd pairing dman. The odds are against him now with another major injury missing significant development time at a critical age (see: Conor Timmins).

I think Mailloux will be a solid #3 but he could surprise and be that 'minute-muncher' for the Habs. I'm not convinced any of these guys will turn into a true #1, they have a lot of quantity but lack the high-end quality outside of Hutson. If he could use his skillset to become elite defensively, that would be huge for them. I still would take a few other future D cores over theirs.
I have a high interest in RHD because, well, like everyone, I dreamt about playing it. Closest i came when i played it in beer league.

I loved scouting them in Hamilton, and now, with a huge tv and 4k, I can see what their focusing and responding too.

What I saw from Mailloux is hesitation based on fear of making a mistake. In a game that is measured in instant, reflex response, that hesitation put him a step behind....which at the NHL, it costs.

He desperately needs/needed to play with a defensive defenseman like Guhle to lose that hesitation because his partner can help cover any mistakes. Plus learn from him.

My concern is that with Hutson and Matheson taking priority, the only defensesive partners left are his underdeveloped peers. I love X and Struble, but they aren't Guhle or Savard. That's why I made my previous comments about "stifling" his development.

The hope now is that he develops at a rapid enough pace on his own or an unfortunate injury to Hutson or Matheson. That's where Guhle becomes available for either side support.

Regardless, the "finishing" school is a few NHL seasons. That experience will slow down the game for him and reduce the decision error rates.

He has the huge size and tool belt for a top2 upside. He is not going to walk into that without development time. Unless Guhle shows huge improvement on his offensive side or Reinbacher has a secret, yet to be seen offense, Mailman has the highest combo of defense and offense. For me, the true definition of a "defenseman".

Let's see....

Last edited:
Reactions: Freaky Styley

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

Missing most of 1 season isn't going to reduce a player's potential. A ton of chl players who were drafted the last few years missed almost a full season of development because of covid. Guhle, played 5 games in a year when he was around the same age as Reinbacher, and he's looking pretty good right now.

Last edited:

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
Defensemen usually take longer to reach their potential. Let Mailloux get a ton of ice time in Laval as It will only help him. No need to rush him up.

Yup lol id say so far Hutson and Guhle are locks. Reinbacher and mailloux have high potential but still need to prove themselves

A lot of ppl are sleeping on Engstrom too.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
And Jakub Skarek hasn't allowed a single preseason goal last year. He is a .892 Sv% career goalie in the AHL.

And Montreal scored 0 PP goals in the pre-season while they have one in every of their regular season games.

And Michkov and Honzek made their teams while leading preseason in scoring, now after 5 regular season games they have both combined for 1 assist.

Should I continue? What is the "not funny" way to interpret the preseason?
Man I didn't think that would strike such a nerve with you.

I meant it was funny that he was analytically very solid but visually looked a bit timid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad