D Brandt Clarke - Ontario Reign, AHL (2021, 8th, LAK)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
Smart, and good head up puck skills fir sure. But he definitely needs to improve his skating.

Skating is pretty much the only bigger problem that is easy to pinpoint for him. But even that is slightly overblown I feel. He will probably never be Power/Edvinsson/Hughes when it comes to skating but he should be good enough. He beats other 3 guys in almost every other department though(hands, skill, playmaking, iq, vision, ability to get the puck to the goaltender through traffic, defence is 50/50 with Edvinsson). Luke Hughes should be his biggest challanger in this draft due to age and time to develop. At least that is my own personal opinion.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Skating is pretty much the only bigger problem that is easy to pinpoint for him. But even that is slightly overblown I feel. He will probably never be Power/Edvinsson/Hughes when it comes to skating but he should be good enough. He beats other 3 guys in almost every other department though(hands, skill, playmaking, iq, vision, ability to get the puck to the goaltender through traffic, defence is 50/50 with Edvinsson). Luke Hughes should be his biggest challanger in this draft due to age and time to develop. At least that is my own personal opinion.

Its overblown because his stride is awkward looking. He moves around the ice fine enough to be a very good NHL dman

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Love his gap control and edge work. Looks really engaged and up close when defending a rush. I think he’s quite the deceptive skater too, gets a lot of power in his turns but never appears to be flying around. He plays a smooth game.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
The biggest thing is that he knows HOW to use his feet to beat players, a more valuable trait than raw speed. And despite how awkward he looks, he always seems in control.

if he adds another gear or two watch out.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
The biggest thing is that he knows HOW to use his feet to beat players, a more valuable trait than raw speed. And despite how awkward he looks, he always seems in control.

if he adds another gear or two watch out.

I have always dissed the raw speed trait a bit. It's not that often really when you actually get to go for full speed in NHL. It's almost more important to figure out how guy deals in small space and under heavy pressure. Also the actual initial separation should probably be given more weight than pure speed in the top end. Of course, there is exceptions like McDavid but oh well...

Last edited:

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Congrats LA, I wanted SJ to take him...but that was assuming Eklund went top 3. Either way, we both have bright futures...give us a couple years so we can develop a better pool than you;)

I think it was a win/win for both LA and San Jose, they could do no wrong with Eklund and Clarke falling. Really excited for Clarke, and LA's right side is stacked with Clarke, Faber, Grans, and Spence. Maybe we can just play six right-handed defensemen?

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I am freaking over the moon for this kid.

This is a franchise that has been devoid of a true offensive backend threat other than Drew Doughty for a decade plus. Voynov was good too, but not on this level. He will fit nicely with our current crop of really really good stay-at-home guys and I can't wait to see Drew mentoring him... Drew --> Clarke, Kopitar --> Byfield/Turcotte Quick-->Petersen isn't a perfect 1-to-1 but I can't imagine a better set of mentors to ease a transition and teach all-around games.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Steal of the draft. Most talented player goes 8th. Thats really something.

I really get a kick out of the fact that many people are critiquing his skating never played hockey.

He is one of my favourite prospects as well because he is in the Cale Makar/Erik Karlsson mold, but come on everyone can see his skating mechanics might not let him reach his full potential.

He might overcome them, but it is a valid point of discussion.

Reactions: Beckett

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
LA is the big winner of the NHL the last few weeks. Clarke will be a star, and the way things are going I think LA is looking like the favorite to be the best team in the league in about five years.

Clarke will bring an element we need to support the forwards. Offensive IQ and good puck distribution. I think he is the missing piece in the pipeline to add to the offence. If this team becomes a top 10-15 in offensive categories in a few years, we have a chance at becoming a true contender.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
He is one of my favourite prospects as well because he is in the Cale Makar/Erik Karlsson mold, but come on everyone can see his skating mechanics might not let him reach his full potential.

He might overcome them, but it is a valid point of discussion.

Without skating issues, he would be easy number 1 in this draft though(it would be interesting to see how draft would go if you could get one flaw away from each prospect, but it is separate discussion entirely). We will see how things will develop with him and if he overcomes his problems. Big time potential with this guy. Safe to say, Clarke is still my no 1 pick in this draft. But only because I probably take D before winger(Eklund). Who knows, might be wrong, might be right. We will see in couple of years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominance

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Yannetti, the Kings Draft guru stopped short of calling Clarke the best D man they drafted. He said Doughty is "Doughty" but Clarke is the best offensive minded D man they ever drafted. Also took balls not to move up (twice) pre draft and read the draft perfectly to get him. I don't think Kings fans realize how important this player is for us going forward.

High quality right handed D men are crazy expensive to acquire or sign.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Congrats LA, I wanted SJ to take him...but that was assuming Eklund went top 3. Either way, we both have bright futures...give us a couple years so we can develop a better pool than you;)

I believe Kings Draft scouting team were holding Eklund and Clarke in the same tier.
If am not mistaking Mark Yannnetti (director of amateur scouting for Kings) was saying that after six selection of the draft LA was ready to move down to pick #9.
They thought both of these players (Eklund and Clarke) will be available at 9th.
After Sharks took Eklund with seventh pick LA canceled the trade immediately.
Kings wanted to draft either one of this players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad