CXLIX - FINAL thoughts on the Arizona Coyotes

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Not knowing they no longer exist is one thing, especially since they barely existed when they existed, and they only officially haven't existed for a few months, but they haven't been in that arena the last couple of years.....
Hey... you're preaching to the choir here. Just saying, not everyone follows hockey enough to know they played out of Mullett the past couple years. Based on the reporting, it seems the writer is far more interested in taking tired digs at rally attendees rather than being accurate about where the Coyotes played.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Hey... you're preaching to the choir here. Just saying, not everyone follows hockey enough to know they played out of Mullett the past couple years. Based on the reporting, it seems the writer is far more interested in taking tired digs at rally attendees rather than being accurate about where the Coyotes played.

Well the fact this “reporter” even got the arena capacity wrong means he pulled the number out of someone else’s tweet (or even his ass).

The facts are too many of these people are simply lazy to do even a rudimentary search, and that applies to whatever field they’re reporting in.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Well the fact this “reporter” even got the arena capacity wrong means he pulled the number out of someone else’s tweet (or even his ass).

The facts are too many of these people are simply lazy to do even a rudimentary search, and that applies to whatever field they’re reporting in.
Yeah the 20K thing is what caught my attention. I think only the Bell Centre holds that much.

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
I'd expect them, as journalists, to do a quick google search to verify something like that.

Or just not include it at all.
Unfortunately, that level of integrity is rare these days. Getting facts correct has been replaced with getting tripe out fast and agendas. It is sad, really.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Yeah the 20K thing is what caught my attention. I think only the Bell Centre holds that much.
I suspect that the 20K may have been a rough estimate, but I will say that the seating for a political rally would be higher than for a hockey game.

But, let's check it out.

Interestingly, if you google "Desert Diamond Arena capacity," the first thing that you see is a large font 20,000 but it's unclear what the source of that number is. Wikipedia lists the capacity as 19,000 (17,125 for hockey). I couldn't find a number on the arena's website, but I did not look that hard. There may be one there somewhere. The ASM website gives the capacity as 19,300.

So, it's very possible that the reporter did a quick google search like mine, saw the 20,000 number and went with it.

If you use bing instead of google, it also gives a large font number, but in this case, it is 19000, which appears to be closer to the correct number.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bostonzamboni

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA

I agree with this, too. Again, preaching to the choir. But it does appear he looked it up. He just didn't look far enough. Google's overview says the capacity is indeed 20k, while Wikipedia (which Google claims to have cited) says it's 19k.

Screenshot 2024-08-11 220840.png

There's a lot of problematic things to unpack with his tweet and his glorified blog post, but I think there's also a variety of other problematic things to account for in other places, starting with this nonsense from Google. At the end of the day, as I said, he pays for Twitter yet is unwilling to use the edit function he pays for.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I agree with this, too. Again, preaching to the choir. But it does appear he looked it up. He just didn't look far enough. Google's overview says the capacity is indeed 20k, while Wikipedia (which Google claims to have cited) says it's 19k.

View attachment 900436

There's a lot of problematic things to unpack with his tweet and his glorified blog post, but I think there's also a variety of other problematic things to account for in other places, starting with this nonsense from Google. At the end of the day, as I said, he pays for Twitter yet is unwilling to use the edit function he pays for.

Problem with Wikipedia is stuff gets edited all the time by people without a clue.

DDA's capacity for hockey was 17,125, not including SRO spaces. Been that way since it opened in 2003. Wiki had it that way too.

Concerts that have floor seating the number goes up to approximately 19,300.

People pay for Twitter for two reasons..... they avoid wading through all the dumb ads from drop ship sellers, and get their replies to posts boosted by the system algorithms to the top of the chain. It's a wannabe influencer's paradise. Clickbait Central.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'd expect them, as journalists, to do a quick google search to verify something like that.

Or just not include it at all.

That entire profession lost any and all professionalism they had years ago.

Why did Meruelo give up on getting another team so soon? Did the NHL not give him a few years on the exclusivity deal? Just something I've been wondering since he packed it in within only a few months.

He was never interested in an actually owning/running a hockey team. It was a scam from the start.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James

View attachment 900436

I could see the reporter getting the capacity wrong if he is not a hockey fan, but not knowing the Yotes haven't played there in 2 seasons is ridiculous.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I also could definitely see them fitting 20K on there for a rally of this sort. 19.3K for a concert, and I bet they'll just try to pack people in with standing room and what not. 20K is also just a nice even number that's easy for people to remember. I don't see much of an issue with that number.

The Coyotes thing, though, yea there's no excuse there.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site

Also, the entire Loge section is sold out for the season and the suites only have a few left for some of the more random games. Since ASU has added hockey it has been a revenue sport, the arena has been a revenue generator for the Athletic Department, and ticket sales will hit a record for revenue this year.

Since ASU has added hockey it has been a money making machine.

Glad to see the Sun Devils doing so well. I'm a big supporter of University hockey in the US and Canada. Too many NHL fans won't give it a chance. Unlike NCAA football which has a huge following.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Problem with Wikipedia is stuff gets edited all the time by people without a clue.

DDA's capacity for hockey was 17,125, not including SRO spaces. Been that way since it opened in 2003. Wiki had it that way too.

Concerts that have floor seating the number goes up to approximately 19,300.

People pay for Twitter for two reasons..... they avoid wading through all the dumb ads from drop ship sellers, and get their replies to posts boosted by the system algorithms to the top of the chain. It's a wannabe influencer's paradise. Clickbait Central.
To be clear, Wikipedia says that the arena has a seating capacity of 19,000 (17,125 for hockey). You seem to be acting as though Wikipedia was claiming the arena sat 19,000 for hockey.

And why are you going off on Wikipedia which gave a seating capacity within 300 of the actual number given by ASM and not Google whose gives a capacity of 20,000 while giving nothing to indicate the source of that number?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Glad to see the Sun Devils doing so well. I'm a big supporter of University hockey in the US and Canada. Too many NHL fans won't give it a chance. Unlike NCAA football which has a huge following.
I'm willing to dedicate the time to folloiw my NHL team. Other than that, I don't really watch hockey. I have many other interests that I like to spend time on and something like university hockey is never going to make the cut with me.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
College hockey and baseball are limited because they don't have the best prospects outside the NHL and MLB like college basketball and football do.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
To be clear, Wikipedia says that the arena has a seating capacity of 19,000 (17,125 for hockey). You seem to be acting as though Wikipedia was claiming the arena sat 19,000 for hockey.

And why are you going off on Wikipedia which gave a seating capacity within 300 of the actual number given by ASM and not Google whose gives a capacity of 20,000 while giving nothing to indicate the source of that number?
No…. The poster I replied too showed a clip from Google search that he thought drew the number off Wikipedia.

I’ve made my own entries into Wikipedia in the past only to have someone come along later to make a bad correction. I know how Wikipedia works. It’s an ever floating open-source style document that’s only as good as the contributions to it are.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
College hockey and baseball are limited because they don't have the best prospects outside the NHL and MLB like college basketball and football do.

I also think the air time of sports has an impact as well. You have regular season basketball and football games on ALL the time, whereas hockey and baseball are much more limited.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
I also think the air time of sports has an impact as well. You have regular season basketball and football games on ALL the time, whereas hockey and baseball are much more limited.
How often are any of the top 18-20 year olds in hockey or baseball in college. In hockey guys who play major junior in Canada aren't eligible (or weren't until recently. I think I saw a rule change). The European prospects are already pros and well.
With baseball the non-North American prospect are eligible to sign at 16. The guys who wind up in college are mostly guys who didn't get the contract they wanted in the draft.
College football not only do you have a lock on guys the first 3 years out of high school but you have the history and tradition.
College basketball you did have a bit of a hit when guys started going pro straight from high school but March Madness and the brackets turn people who aren't college basketball fans into college basketball fans for a month.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
How often are any of the top 18-20 year olds in hockey or baseball in college. In hockey guys who play major junior in Canada aren't eligible (or weren't until recently. I think I saw a rule change). The European prospects are already pros and well.
With baseball the non-North American prospect are eligible to sign at 16. The guys who wind up in college are mostly guys who didn't get the contract they wanted in the draft.
College football not only do you have a lock on guys the first 3 years out of high school but you have the history and tradition.
College basketball you did have a bit of a hit when guys started going pro straight from high school but March Madness and the brackets turn people who aren't college basketball fans into college basketball fans for a month.

I don't think that really matters. Is your college football team doing good? Are they playing the best teams on Saturday night? Yes, they are tuning in.

ASU hockey has beaten top 5 teams in recent years, and they are live streamed online. You won't even know about it unless you are actually paying attention to ASU hockey. It's not on some random ESPN, CBS, or other channel that continuously has college football and college basketball on during the regular season. College fans don't care about individual players, they care about their alma maters or their favorite teams. Just like in the professional leagues. People favor rooting for their team more so than rooting for an individual player(NBA possibly being the outcast with this).

If there was the same air time for hockey/baseball as there was basketball/football, things might be different. But as it stands now, really baseball is only on once the super regionals/world series starts, and hockey during the frozen four. That's it.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
I don't think that really matters. Is your college football team doing good? Are they playing the best teams on Saturday night? Yes, they are tuning in.

ASU hockey has beaten top 5 teams in recent years, and they are live streamed online. You won't even know about it unless you are actually paying attention to ASU hockey. It's not on some random ESPN, CBS, or other channel that continuously has college football and college basketball on during the regular season. College fans don't care about individual players, they care about their alma maters or their favorite teams. Just like in the professional leagues. People favor rooting for their team more so than rooting for an individual player(NBA possibly being the outcast with this).

If there was the same air time for hockey/baseball as there was basketball/football, things might be different. But as it stands now, really baseball is only on once the super regionals/world series starts, and hockey during the frozen four. That's it.

Not individual players but the talent pool overall. The best 18 year old football players out of high school go to college. Thats not the case for hockey and baseball. Of course college football and basketball have already established their place in culture.

Reactions: Voight

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Not individual players but the talent pool overall. The best 18 year old football players out of high school go to college. Thats not the case for hockey and baseball. Of course college football and basketball have already established their place in culture.

Alright agree to disagree. I believe media availability and exposure has a big impact on the following and popularity of a college sport.

Reactions: dj4aces

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Faroe Islands
    Latvia vs Faroe Islands
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $225.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4