Player Discussion Cutter Gauthier

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I would like it for Verbeek to sign Schultz so that I could boo him for 41 games this season. The first game back where he was booed so hard that he just lost the puck was priceless.

If Schultz is getting paid by us to play for us, then that's still a win for him even if he's booed. I'd rather not support him financially in any way, shape, or form.

I'm with Shepherd Book on my thoughts for Schultz...

200w.gif

Reactions: Ducks DVM

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I’d prefer they sign him, send him to Tulsa (because SD is way too nice for him to be scratched in) and let him suffer playing there. 100% petty, I know. It’s Schultz’s leading the organization on that will always bother me. I’m not a huge fan of what Thrun did, but I can respect giving the organization a heads up as opposed to totally f***ing them over.

Thrun I totally understand. He saw he was going to be buried in the AHL making 5 figures, very possibly for his entire ELC.

Even Schultz, you have to consider that at the time the ELC rules were different. By going UFA he was able to get 7.5m over two years guaranteed. We could not have offered anywhere near that given the rules of the time, I think an ELC was two way 925k. The loophole was never that college guys could leave, it's that college guys could leave and make much more money by not signing. But that loophole's been fixed, as no matter where you go now you're stuck with a relatively generic ELC. So the financial advantage now is to burn an ELC year.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Thrun I totally understand. He saw he was going to be buried in the AHL making 5 figures, very possibly for his entire ELC.

Even Schultz, you have to consider that at the time the ELC rules were different. By going UFA he was able to get 7.5m over two years guaranteed. We could not have offered anywhere near that given the rules of the time, I think an ELC was two way 925k. The loophole was never that college guys could leave, it's that college guys could leave and make much more money by not signing. But that loophole's been fixed, as no matter where you go now you're stuck with a relatively generic ELC. So the financial advantage now is to burn an ELC year.
I don't believe this was the case. Edmonton offered him a huge performance bonus (i.e. not guaranteed), but I believe the Ducks could have done the same. When this happened, I remember the discussion being that it was purely mercenary, as the Ducks could offer just as much. Perhaps those discussing it were incorrect, but I certainly don't recall anything about a team being able to offer more money than the Ducks could.

Schultz was just a traitorous jerk, no two ways about it.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I don't believe this was the case. Edmonton offered him a huge performance bonus (i.e. not guaranteed), but I believe the Ducks could have done the same. When this happened, I remember the discussion being that it was purely mercenary, as the Ducks could offer just as much. Perhaps those discussing it were incorrect, but I certainly don't recall anything about a team being able to offer more money than the Ducks could.

Schultz was just a traitorous jerk, no two ways about it.
The Ducks offered the max contract allowed under the CBA. Just like every other team.

Schultz was just an asshole.

Reactions: HanSolo

GermanRocket7

Make Bettman irrelevant again
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
I’d prefer they sign him, send him to Tulsa (because SD is way too nice for him to be scratched in) and let him suffer playing there. 100% petty, I know. It’s Schultz’s leading the organization on that will always bother me. I’m not a huge fan of what Thrun did, but I can respect giving the organization a heads up as opposed to totally f***ing them over.
I absolutely understand and respect each player's decision not to sign with any given team. I wouldn't want to play for LA as well, and would probably tell my son to refuse playing for perennial dumpster fires such as Columbus, Montréal, or Philadelphia.

However, as you pointed out, there's a clear distinction between letting and organization know you won't sign with them -in private- and as such let them get any return for your rights - and outright f***ing over an organization just because. Schultz will always be in the same tier as Craig Ludwig, Michael Peca, or Gabriel Landeskog for me. Just an unbearable POS who deserves everything bad coming to them.

Reactions: HanSolo

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I really do believe that spending an extra year in college did Cutter a whole world of good for his game and his build so that he can leap into the NHL rather than meander through like Carlsson did as an 18-year old this season for us. Cutter reminds me of the 2021 drafted Michigan players or soon to be Michigan players who returned to college for an extra year in Power (1st OA), Beniers (2nd OA), L Hughes (4th OA), and K. Johnson (5th OA).

Cutter dropped a little nugget by sharing Colangelo is taller and bigger than him by a couple of inches because Cutter had to borrow a suit from Colangelo and Cutter had to roll up the pants as well as felt like he was swimming in the trousers?! It would be amazing to have two young PFs in Cutter and Colangelo who love to score goals.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
So happy to have him. He has that leadership, "dad" gene similar like Getzy imo
I get the sense he's probably who verbeek wants to become captain eventually. Could be another reason he wanted to come to Anaheim besides the Kesler/Bieksa, connection that they still havent named a captain and he could earn it. I think Solberg is too far away that they'll have named a longterm captain by the time Solberg is a regular playing 80 game seasons in NHL.

Reactions: MCB and Kalv

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I get the sense he's probably who verbeek wants to become captain eventually. Could be another reason he wanted to come to Anaheim besides the Kesler/Bieksa, connection that they still havent named a captain and he could earn it. I think Solberg is too far away that they'll have named a longterm captain by the time Solberg is a regular playing 80 game seasons in NHL.
From what I heard about his time in dev camp, really felt like he's at least going to be an alternate one day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad