Current state of Sens roster formation

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He's a versatile roamer but you want experience on every line and he does that for the 4th. Amadios contract, they need 20-30 points from him and that would be a steal. He will play up and down as injuries happen but I do think he starts on the 4th line for that vet experience and playing the right way attitude.

On Crooker He's going to have to battle hard but you can tell the org is going to give him a chance and tbh he is wasted on the 4th. I like him on the 3rd and he was a top player in Bellville last year. Better tools for 3LW imo.

Very weak 4th line, need an experienced vet there. Telling ya it's Amadio to start.
I have a hard time buying that Staios spent 2.6 mil to go out and grab a 4th liner or that Amadio chose to sign here to get 10 mins a night toiling away on a 4th line.

We shall see I suppose, but if the org does feel they need more experience on the fourth line, I'd expect them to pick up a UFA from what's left, someone like Nick Cousins or Matt Martin.

Reactions: Cosmix

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
I like the duo options and the nhl has moved towards duos and balanced lines (typically 3 and a grinder).

I think we try to make 3 balanced lines attack. It's critical that Norris is paired with players that can get him going.

Pairs:
Stutzle Giroux
Tkachuk Norris
Pinto Batherson

Lines
Tkachuk Norris Perron
Grieg Stutzle Giroux
Crookshank Pinto Batherson

3 balanced line of attack. Pesky players on every line. Everyone playing strong sides.

I think this is the look tbh. Leaving

Gregor, Amadio and a camp battle spot or MacEwen. Amadio has done C tho has a slight RW preference; Ostapchuk can compete and hopefully MacEwen is the 13F.
I think the Norris-Batherson chemistry is really understated, they should be stapled together.

I'd go (bolded pairs with known chemistry)
Tkachuk-Stutzle-Perron
Amadio-Norris-Batherson
Greig
-Pinto-Giroux

Switch the unbolded people around as necessary since they can pretty much play anywhere anyways.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
I would keep Tkachuk - Pinto - Batherson together personally. Batherson played his best hockey on that line and they were tough to contain. I think I'd have that as a top/matchup and energy line. I would try to maximize the output from Batherson I think he's an X-factor in this lineup. When he's on his game he's a force and we need him to play at that level. These 3 compliment each other well.

Shelter Stutzle and give him favourable matchups with Perron and Giroux. I'm thinking this could help him slow the game down and both Perron and Giroux can make plays and shoot the puck. It would be an unpredictable line that plays with passion. This should also incentivize Stutzle to put more focus on the defensive side of the play with two vets. I also think it could help Stutzle simplify his game.

Ease Norris in with a lesser role with less expectations. Amadio and Greig should make for a great checking line and that line has good speed and reliability on both sides of the ice. If Norris can't take faceoffs put Greig at center and Norris on LW.

I'm guessing they will re-sign Katchouk. If/when they add another solid guy on that 4th line with Gregor it will be a pretty drastic change from previous years. Gregor creates with his speed and Katchouk can skate, forecheck and play a 7-8 good minutes a night. Having a 4th line that can actually put the other team on their heels will be massive for this team for generating momentum.

Tkachuk - Pinto - Batherson
Perron - Stutzle - Giroux
Greig - Norris - Amadio
Katchouk - Gregor - *Addition
MacEwen

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Jensen
Kleven - *Addition
JBD
Hamonic
We have 3 known playmakers on our roster: Stu, Batherson, Giroux. Brady, Pinto and Norris are finishers. Not sure how productive Norris would be with Greig and Amadio. Would you classify either of them as playmakers? The 2nd line would be good if Perron is a finisher as both Stu and Giroux like setting up plays. I expect a lot of line juggling until the right mix is found, especially with some new faces in the line-up.

Reactions: DrEasy and Cosmix

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
We need one more capable RD. Depth is pretty important and being one injury away from having JBD and Hamonic both in the lineup is not an improvement
Ideally get a dependable 3rd pairing D who can play either side. Both Chabot and Zub seem to be injured each year, we don't know yet how healthy Jensen will be. Having someone that can slot up to the top 4 on either side would be amazing. That would also mean that unless there are 2 or more injuries, Hamonic will never play.

Reactions: Duncstar

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I have a hard time buying that Staios spent 2.6 mil to go out and grab a 4th liner or that Amadio chose to sign here to get 10 mins a night toiling away on a 4th line.

We shall see I suppose, but if the org does feel they need more experience on the fourth line, I'd expect them to pick up a UFA from what's left, someone like Nick Cousins or Matt Martin.
Is it possible that Jenik could replace Kastelic on that 4th line & bring some jam & be a guy who will drop the gloves? Gregor - Jenik - MacEwan --- Or is he strickly an AHL player? This would keep Ostapchuk & Halliday in Belleville.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
I think the Norris-Batherson chemistry is really understated, they should be stapled together.

I'd go (bolded pairs with known chemistry)
Tkachuk-Stutzle-Perron
Amadio-Norris-Batherson
Greig
-Pinto-Giroux

Switch the unbolded people around as necessary since they can pretty much play anywhere anyways.
What I like about your lines is there's a playmaker (Stu, Batherson, Giroux) and finisher (Brady, Norris, Pinto) on each line. Don't know yet how to classify Amadio or Perron, but regardless, if they are playmakers, they have a finisher on their line. If they're finishers, then the playmaker on their line will have 2 linemates to setup.

Reactions: StoicSensFan

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
What I like about your lines is there's a playmaker (Stu, Batherson, Giroux) and finisher (Brady, Norris, Pinto) on each line. Don't know yet how to classify Amadio or Perron, but regardless, if they are playmakers, they have a finisher on their line. If they're finishers, then the playmaker on their line will have 2 linemates to setup.
I'd classify Amadio and Perron as lunch-pail guys who will play both ways responsibly, giving the other linemates and D space to do what they want.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We need one more capable RD. Depth is pretty important and being one injury away from having JBD and Hamonic both in the lineup is not an improvement
I don’t disagree, in fact I would love another 3rd pair RD to play/mentor Kleven above all else right now, I just don’t agree they are going to make or break the team. We will live and die by our top 9, top 4, and top goalie.

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
Wonder how low Justin Shultz is willing to go? Prolly just out of price range. You gotta think someone will pick him up.

Fits the ‘vet with cup’ criteria.

Maybe not the bruising defender archetype folks want for the 3rd pair, but he’s sound defensively relative to hamonic and a decent pmd; not a small dude either.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
If Crookshank or Jarventie could actually win a spot on the 3rd line, that could be really good for us, we could move Amadio down to line 4

Crookshank/Jarventie-Greig-Perron
Gregor-Ostapchuk-Amadio

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Is it possible that Jenik could replace Kastelic on that 4th line & bring some jam & be a guy who will drop the gloves? Gregor - Jenik - MacEwan --- Or is he strickly an AHL player? This would keep Ostapchuk & Halliday in Belleville.
Possible but not likely IMO. I think he is an AHL level player.

Reactions: aragorn

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I'm definitely worried about our depth on D right now. Chabot never plays a full year, and we could use a real 6D to push JBD and/or hamonic down the depth chart.

I wonder if a team like Anaheim or Calgary would eat 50% of Jan Rutta (1.250 salary / 1.375 cap hit) from San Jose for mid/late round pick? I think he would be kind of the perfect 3RD at a more reasonable cap hit. The only other guy that makes any sense to me is Radko Gudas (also at 50%), but I think he'd be way more expensive to acquire.

Ad

Ad

Ad