Current state of Sens roster formation

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Sure, good teams deal with injuries, rebuilding teams expected to fight for a wildcard spot tend tend to struggle. The one position that will sometimes break that rule is goalies, a great goalie can allow teams to overachieve short term, like the Anderson/Bishop/Lehner combo did in 2013 for us, but we've had some of the worst goaltending the last few years so no luck there

It's a process, and if you expected us to be resilient to key injuries the last few years, that's an issue with expectations less so than the progress of the team. We are the VGK (and even they couldn't survive injuries a few yrs ago)

I will say our progress has been slowed by some poor decisions trading for Murray, DBC, Chychrun, and Talbot, not to mention the Korpisalo signing,
Agreed. We jumped the gun too much, too soon. Really hurt us in the short and long term. Coaching wasn't adequate enough to make up for any injuries or shortcomings either. Not the best spot to be in.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Agreed. We jumped the gun too much, too soon. Really hurt us in the short and long term. Coaching wasn't adequate enough to make up for any injuries or shortcomings either. Not the best spot to be in.
I guess my point is more that when we talk about slow starts vs strong finishes, we need to accept that we aren't at the stage where we can expect the team to overcome injuries, so when our slow starts correlate with some key injuries, I think it's fair to infer a degree of causation,

Reactions: aragorn

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
I guess my point is more that when we talk about slow starts vs strong finishes, we need to accept that we aren't at the stage where we can expect the team to overcome injuries, so when our slow starts correlate with some key injuries, I think it's fair to infer a degree of causation,
Yes, but at some point, when its been a running theme for multiple years in a row, you should expect the team to either A- be able to somehow overcome that challenge by now, or B- expect the same result again, since key injuries are more likely than not. Nothing points to option A being more likely at this moment.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
We tend to over perform in the second half of the season, when the year is already sunk. The key is the first couple months, we've been reading way too much into decent back half season performances when we're already out of any realistic playoff contention and the games have little to no meaning. Being on 90pt pace has no bearing if they can't carry that momentum through to the beginning of following season, which they've failed to do for multiple years now. Its nothing new.
Maybe having a lot of new faces who play the right way will improve the culture in the room. Won't hurt having a vezina winner who's in his prime and not injury prone. Timmy has to start playing the right way on a consistent basis and quit whining at the refs. I think SS has done what he could with what he had to work with to fix some of the roster construction issues and add players who play the right way and bring a winning culture. Now it's up to the core to step up.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Maybe having a lot of new faces who play the right way will improve the culture in the room. Won't hurt having a vezina winner who's in his prime and not injury prone. Timmy has to start playing the right way on a consistent basis and quit whining at the refs. I think SS has done what he could with what he had to work with to fix some of the roster construction issues and add players who play the right way and bring a winning culture. Now it's up to the core to step up.
Thats a very big maybe, he certainly paid a decent price to make those adjustments. Only time will tell, but Im not buying what Staios is selling so far at all.

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
This will be the fifth season of Pinto and Norris being on the team. Statmuse says they have played together in 41 games, which makes it 41 of 302 possible games since 2020. I know that Pinto spent a part of his first season in the NCAA, but if this team wants to go anywhere they just have to get 50+ games where both are available down the middle. One of them injured = depth vanishes.

The problem with this team wasn't just goaltending and defending, but the fact that a large amount of their core-players seem to be made of glass.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
This will be the fifth season of Pinto and Norris being on the team. Statmuse says they have played together in 41 games, which makes it 41 of 302 possible games since 2020. I know that Pinto spent a part of his first season in the NCAA, but if this team wants to go anywhere they just have to get 50+ games where both are available down the middle. One of them injured = depth vanishes.

The problem with this team wasn't just goaltending and defending, but the fact that a large amount of their core-players seem to be made of glass.
I hope we add a 3C and a 3rd RD we need the depth

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Just wanted to raise awareness and show some aapreciation for Travis Green’s mullet

It’s party on the top AND party in the back. This guy means business

Not that a haircut sets a culture, but if you went into a corner with a dude who has hair like this you’d be worried for your teeth and Ottawa needs way more of that
IMG_7818.jpeg

Last edited:

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010

I don't mind the vets... a little concerned about having two 36 year olds in the top 6. I think maybe Perron moves down but lets see. Giroux also slowed last year
This is where the core comes to play imo. Giroux has to be the worst player on his line if he continues to play in the top 6. Last year he was usually the best.

I think Giroux/Perron should be complimentary players and if they’re the standouts, we probably won’t be very good.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Tkachuk - Timmy - Perron

Perron knows for the Sens to take the next step Tkachuk and Stutzle have to each have 40-40 seasons and he’s just there to make it happen. Also like the veteran presence to keep Tkachuk out of trouble with the lowlifes in the NHL

Greig - Pinto - Batherson

Classic second line that can play it anyway, score on you and play shutdown. Batherson has become a leader on this team and he’s going to be our best forward impact and clitchiness wise next season IMO

Amadio - Norris - G

Norris as a 3rd line center and the top PP unit is perfect for this team. Grit, scoring, determination and I like Norris at C. G has slowed down and don’t think he’s a top 6 on a good team.

Ostapchuk - Gaudette - Boucher

I think Boucher can skate 10 minutes a night in the NHL, hit and be an NHL player. There always a surprise, Bocyhernwil Benoit this spring.

Sandy - Jensen

Like the vibes here. Our Marc Methot moment

Chabot - Zub

Ready made chemistry, Chabot takes another step

Kleven - Yet to be signed FA

JBD isn’t the answer, let’s finish the roster building with a veteran RD

Ullmark
Forsberg

Ullmark is a leader in net and I think he’ll be an All Star and a Vezina finalist. Green will make it easy to be a goalie again in Ottawa, like the Lalime days

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.

I think Boucher can skate 10 minutes a night in the NHL, hit and be an NHL player. There always a surprise, Bocyhernwil Benoit this spring.
Boucher has done jack shit in the AHL and you're handing him an NHL spot? I don't think Ostapchuk is ready either. I know Crookshank is undersized, but he's earned a spot (barring any future additions up front).

Reactions: BigRig4

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Boucher has done jack shit in the AHL and you're handing him an NHL spot? I don't think Ostapchuk is ready either. I know Crookshank is undersized, but he's earned a spot (barring any future additions up front).

There’s always a surprise in training camp, you’re probably right about Boucher but at the same time the way the Sens want to play big and fast and hard along the Board he fits all that and I don’t see a lot of depth at RW - I’m betting on his raw skill to get him into the lineup for game 1 and Travis Green growing his game

Ostapchuk to me is ready. And will move up and down the lineup this season.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Wrt Crookshank vs Ostapchuk, I think the important thing is what role they'd be taking.

Crookshank imo might be a better fit in a top 9 role than Ostapchuk, while Ostapchuk fits better in a bottom 6 role currently. If the spot you're penciling them in for is 3rd line, I might lean towards Crookshank if you want some additional offence, but if you're looking at a 4th line role, or a defensive minded presence on the third line, Ostapchuk takes it for me.

Having said that, I think Gaudette is ahead of Crookshank for a top 9 role. He's more proven at the NHL level, put up more points at the AHL level, and has a history with Green. Crook adds more grit, so that might make him more appealing, but neither of them are known for their defensive game and neither of them makes since imo on a 4th line (though Crook maybe makes more sense of the two).

Also, not sure why Gregor was left out (not by you initially but if you're subbing someone in for Ostapchuk or Boucher in the proposed line, he's the obvious choice), he's certainly ahead of Gaudette, Crookshank and Boucher...

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Wrt Crookshank vs Ostapchuk, I think the important thing is what role they'd be taking.

Crookshank imo might be a better fit in a top 9 role than Ostapchuk, while Ostapchuk fits better in a bottom 6 role currently. If the spot you're penciling them in for is 3rd line, I might lean towards Crookshank if you want some additional offence, but if you're looking at a 4th line role, or a defensive minded presence on the third line, Ostapchuk takes it for me.

Having said that, I think Gaudette is ahead of Crookshank for a top 9 role. He's more proven at the NHL level, put up more points at the AHL level, and has a history with Green. Crook adds more grit, so that might make him more appealing, but neither of them are known for their defensive game and neither of them makes since imo on a 4th line (though Crook maybe makes more sense of the two).

Also, not sure why Gregor was left out (not by you initially but if you're subbing someone in for Ostapchuk or Boucher in the proposed line, he's the obvious choice), he's certainly ahead of Gaudette, Crookshank and Boucher...

If Crookshank wasn’t a minus in every stage of his pro career I’d have more confidence. Buzzsaw player but I don’t see where he fits? We don’t need activity players, we need roll players and not sure what roll Crookshank would play on a full time basis.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
How has Crookshank earned a spot over Ostapchuk.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Tkachuk - Timmy - Perron

Perron knows for the Sens to take the next step Tkachuk and Stutzle have to each have 40-40 seasons and he’s just there to make it happen. Also like the veteran presence to keep Tkachuk out of trouble with the lowlifes in the NHL

Greig - Pinto - Batherson

Classic second line that can play it anyway, score on you and play shutdown. Batherson has become a leader on this team and he’s going to be our best forward impact and clitchiness wise next season IMO

Amadio - Norris - G

Norris as a 3rd line center and the top PP unit is perfect for this team. Grit, scoring, determination and I like Norris at C. G has slowed down and don’t think he’s a top 6 on a good team.

Sandy - Jensen

Like the vibes here. Our Marc Methot moment

Chabot - Zub

Ready made chemistry, Chabot takes another step

Kleven - Yet to be signed FA

JBD isn’t the answer, let’s finish the roster building with a veteran RD

Ullmark
Forsberg

Ullmark is a leader in net and I think he’ll be an All Star and a Vezina finalist. Green will make it easy to be a goalie again in Ottawa, like the Lalime days
Giroux is a better fit for the top 6 then perron. Even with giroux slowing down he got 64 points, last time perron got 60 points was in 2019/2020.

I think perron's placement fully depends on if we put norris on the wing or if we keep him at center. If norris is at center then that 2nd line winger spot opens up for perron/Greig to fight over

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Giroux is a better fit for the top 6 then perron. Even with giroux slowing down he got 64 points, last time perron got 60 points was in 2019/2020.

I think perron's placement fully depends on if we put norris on the wing or if we keep him at center. If norris is at center then that 2nd line winger spot opens up for perron/Greig to fight over
I see Perron as a 3rd liner with PP2 time.

Reactions: Icelevel

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I see Perron as a 3rd liner with PP2 time.
I agree with the PP2 time, as for his placement it depends on if we put norris as a center or winger. I personally would want to start norris on the wing to try and avoid faceoffs as much as possible. But I dont know his health and dont know if that is what the team will want to do

as a winger
Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux
Norris-Pinto-Batherson
Perron-Greig-Amadio

as a center
Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux
Perron/Greig-Norris/Pinto-Batherson
Perron/Greig-Norris/Pinto-Amadio

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
How has Crookshank earned a spot over Ostapchuk.
I just meant he's paid his dues with three productive years in the AHL. Obviously he has to win the spot in camp. And if Ostapchuk beats him out then so be it. But Crook will be 25 next fall. Ostapchuk will be 21.

I liked what I saw from Crook;s cup of coffee in Ottawa earlier this year. I didn't think he looked out of place. Ostapchuk didn't look bad either but at 21, he certainly could use some more seasoning at the lower level.

Reactions: Icelevel

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Perron is not a tough guy, he is more like Giroux than Neil & he's not very big, he is not going to fight to protect his teammates, He may crosscheck someone in the face though.

SweSensFan

Feb 15, 2019
I tried to break the current roster down as follows, feel free to post yours and the types of moves realistically available to fill those needs.

Foundational (DO NOT TRADE):
1. Tkachuk
2. Stutzle
3. Sanderson
4. Norris
5. Pinto
6. Greig

Veteran Core (TRADE ONLY IF THE ROSTER FAILS AGAIN and VALUE COMING BACK IS RIGHT):
1. Zub
2. Batherson
3. Giroux

Trade chips (ONLY ONE CAN BE TRADED)
1. Chychrun
2. Chabot

Other trade options (DO NOT EXPECT A HIGH RETURN):
1. Matthieu Joseph

Team Needs:
1. Goalie (Ullmark)
2. Second pairing Defensive RD (Jensen)
3. Veteran Physical/shutdown D-MAN (bottom-6, RD preferred)
4. Veteran bottom 6 forward (Amadio, Gregor)
5. A top-9 forward who can chip in offensively (Perron)
Agree with almost everything. Want to add that I think we need either a 4th liner or bottom pairing D that can take a fight when necesary. Still to much of tat responsibility on Tkachuck. Nobody is afraid of mcEwen..

Reactions: armani

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad