Current state of Sens roster formation

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
This is the first time I’ve ever felt like this rebuild might be turning the corner. It’s always felt a year or two away, and then we’d get to the summer, and it still felt another year or two away.

Prepared to be disappointed but I like the roster. Just hoping Chabot and Norris come back strong, those two are probably the biggest question marks and could be the difference.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Giroux 58%
Tkachuk 52.6%
Norris 52.1%
Pinto 50.6%
only two of these are centers. I would want a vet center who can win draws in the defensive zone consistently. Also can add some size down the middle while these guys develop

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
only two of these are centers. I would want a vet center who can win draws in the defensive zone consistently. Also can add some size down the middle while these guys develop
Those four players took over 2600 faceoffs last year, it doesn't reallyatter if they aren't centers they are the ones taking faceoffs.

Giroux led the team in taking DZ faceoffs and went 60%

Reactions: aragorn

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's still early, but things are coming around.

I think removing Chychrun from the room will be a bigger boost than people realize. A guy that big and strong who played charmin soft and was obviously playing not to get hurt and not fight for his new team....that wears on fellow players.

I don't expect Ullmark to be a top 5 or even top 10 goalie in the league...but I think he's a good bet for top 15. That alone is a big boost. Simply being more predictable in nets (in a good way) will help the blueline a lot.

We still have a long way to go, but if Norris is healthy and feeling good about his should (aka, not avoiding contact), I think we have just as good a chance at any for a wildcard. At least we'll be in the race.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
Tkachuk - Stu - G
Perron - Pinto - Bath
Grieg - Norris - Amadio
Ochuk - Gregor - Crook

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Jensen
Kleven - JBD

Ham, Macewen, Sokolov

Reactions: Dionysus

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
It's still early, but things are coming around.

I think removing Chychrun from the room will be a bigger boost than people realize. A guy that big and strong who played charmin soft and was obviously playing not to get hurt and not fight for his new team....that wears on fellow players.

I don't expect Ullmark to be a top 5 or even top 10 goalie in the league...but I think he's a good bet for top 15. That alone is a big boost. Simply being more predictable in nets (in a good way) will help the blueline a lot.

We still have a long way to go, but if Norris is healthy and feeling good about his should (aka, not avoiding contact), I think we have just as good a chance at any for a wildcard. At least we'll be in the race.
I would still avoid getting hit directly into the metal bar on the back of the net though!

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Tkachuk - Stutzle - Giroux
Perron - Pinto - Batherson
Greig - Norris - Amadio
Crookshank - XXX - Gregor
MacEwen

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Jensen
Kleven - ###
JBD
Hamonic

Ullmark
Forsberg

Options for XXX at forward: Ostapchuk, Gaudette, Laughton (trade)
Options for ### on defense: JBD, Hamonic, Shattenkirk (UFA), Other (trade)

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The current state of the Sens roster is the stench that Dorion left behind has been cleaned out by Staois

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
You know wingers are allowed to take faceoffs, right?

Me either too slow not heavy, especially up front. They won't have any sort of forcheck. Teams with no forcheck don't sustain zone time. This d core is gonna be tired.

I'd like them to sign Nick Cousins. He brings speed and tenacity.
Batherson can play heavy when he's on. Giroux and Perron are excellent at boardplay and keeping the puck in the opposing zone. Tkachuk is Tkachuk.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
If the Sens do make the playoffs, you'd assume they automatically forfeit their first rounder not wanting to risk anything in 2026 (And best case scenario they can use 2026 1st rounder for trade bait if it comes down to it).

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
Norris - Stutzle - Giroux
Tkachuk - Pinto - Batherson
Perron - Greig - Amadio
Gregor - Cousins ($1.15m) - MacEwen

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Jensen
Kleven - Shattenkirk (1.5m)

Ullmark
Forsberg

Extras: JBD + Hamonic
Cap Space: $34k (lol)

Forwards:
  • Shake things up with our top lines and give Norris some time to ease into things on the wing. Can start taking draws for Stutzle here and there, with Giroux also able to step in. Think he could get back to being that 30-40 goal player on the wing.
  • Really believe Pinto is going to be a difference maker this year. He looked good with Tkachuk during the WC, may as well see if there's something there. Batherson feeding these two could be fun.
  • Was hesitant to put Greig at C, might come down to him and a guy like Halliday. Just liked the idea of Perron and Greig playing together. The line would be a pain to play against and could still get some goals here and there.
  • If we can sign Cousins, it's a fine 4th line. Not much we can really do here otherwise. If we don't sign another vet center, options aren't that great from Belleville. Maybe Crookshank pushes for a spot and Mac plays center with Gregor on RW.
Defense:
  • Top-4 pairings are more or less set at this point. Can flip the two RD, but would prefer Zub play with Sanderson until we see Jensen play a bit.
  • Bottom pairing is where it gets dicey. A lot will be riding on Kleven stepping up this year, but unfortunately we don't have many great options to insulate him. Chose Shattenkirk because he can take a bit of the puck moving load off Kleven. Would essentially rotate through JBD/Shattenkirk/Hamonic. Not great, but same as our fourth line, not much we can do here.

With decent goaltending and some good luck on injuries this year, don't see why this roster can't push for a playoff spot. Wildcard team still, but even that is a step in the right direction.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You know wingers are allowed to take faceoffs, right?

Batherson can play heavy when he's on. Giroux and Perron are excellent at boardplay and keeping the puck in the opposing zone. Tkachuk is Tkachuk.
They couldn't do it last year outside of when Tkachuk Pinto and Batherson were together. The 4th line of Kelly Kastelic and Katchouk actually had a few good games when they were put together last season at the end. But to think this forward group has the make up of a heavy team that can forcheck hard were dreaming. They don't have the roster. They aren't fast and they aren't heavy or hard. Giroux, Perron and Amadio are all very similar players stylistically. Intelligent, cerebral players that are not fast or physical. 1 maybe 2 is fine 3..... its too many. That's one on each line they shouldn't be playing together. Someone has to actually get the puck. Losing Joseph is a first on puck forward. The only guys they have now that will win those races/pucks are Tkachuk and Greig. Really don't like the make up of this forward group. Too slow too easy to play against. Florida had the recipe this team is nothing like the way that ones built. They don't have the pace. Same with Edmonton. They had heavy fast players with motors. Who's got a motor on the sens outside of Greig and Tkachuk? Gregor on the 4th line? Thats it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad